Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
New England Met Spring Banter 2022

HoarfrostHubb

1 hour ago, IowaStorm05 said:

I know you may not have intended to scoff at me, neverthrless I’ll explain my position. I’ve spent some time looking into American prosperity and how it has changed. Yes, we have garnered access to less expensive and more advanced technologies, but how good that is for people can be debated… 

The thing about it is, in the mid to late 20th century you could leave high school and garner an entry level retail job, and this would afford you PROFOUNDLY greater financial freedom than it will today. The reason I know this is because my parents have talked to me about their jobs they held while they were young.

The fact is, purchasing power was much greater then. Wage-level jobs would easily afford you adequate housing and essentials like food were much cheaper. Education carried much more clout whereas today young people are saddled with HUGE education debt without access to adequately paying positions. This translated to the ability to save a lot of money compared to today, and cultural values were more aimed at responsible handling of finances. The climate for young people has none of that. Young people are forced to live with their parents much longer, and wages no longer afford anything but the most meager of housing circumstances. Corporations and finance are way more powerful today in their ability to manipulate society into a state of perpetual debt which translates to no financial freedom. Corporations, less competitive than before, are continuously bragging about their ability to set prices in a way to reap the maximum profits at the expense of lower socioeconomic classes. 

Corporate finance has become powerful to such an extent that it has almost made government structure irrelevant… and that would not necessarily be such a bad thing if it were not run by psychopaths who judge people who are way way way less fortunate than they are. Complete apathy on display.

I realize that this forum is not frequented by as many people in circumstances of poverty as it is frequented by highly educated people in the sciences but not all people have access to that position. I certainly don’t. And I’m telling you, things are much worse than in the past. I’m disabled but the amount I’ve been able to work and cultural values of the past might have lended me to be able to have much more security in my state of ability than it does today, where I have to worry about future homelessness being a possibility 

I think the biggest reasons for the change are the percentage of how much of your budget goes to food and housing and the lack of financial cloud basic college education affords nowadays. In the past it was “work hard and play your cards right and you’ll succeed”. But now it’s “work hard and you have a 30 per cent chance of succeeding”

No scoffing intended, and I agree that purchasing power was greater in the 60s to 90s than now.  One issue I see is the "mandate" that one must go to college.  There are probably lots of debt-burdened college grads who would've been happier and more prosperous if they had learned a trade.  There's an old joke about a doctor having some plumbing work done.  When he sees the bill, he exclaims,
"You charge higher than I do!"  
"I know.  I used to be a doctor."

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Lol I have a lot of that permanently installed.  Right ankle has a plate and 4 screws, back has a 8 screw cage with 4 crossbars. Bionic man

Titanium plate and 4 screws in my neck since fusion surgery at C-4 in April 2011, no adverse reaction and they don't trigger the TSA scanners.  :D
My wife's 2 artificial knees mean a full examining every time.  :(

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Whineminster said:

Great show!! I was there too! Crowd really into it. 

This has to be it for Rob Halford though.  70 years old, cancer in remission, and basically beating his voice down for 50 years.   He sounded better in 2019, but you can hear the vocal enhancements more. Was good to see them one  last time, but I think it's time for Rob to retire. He is a legend and THE "metal god", so he has not much more to prove.  Seen them 7 times since 1986, but I know this was it.   Always will be one of my favorite bands. 

Note to self... I will never see a metal show in that venue again. Terrible place for a metal audience. 

But, this is still awesome.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cold Miser said:

This has to be it for Rob Halford though.  70 years old, cancer in remission, and basically beating his voice down for 50 years.   He sounded better in 2019, but you can hear the vocal enhancements more. Was good to see them one  last time, but I think it's time for Rob to retire. He is a legend and THE "metal god", so he has not much more to prove.  Seen them 7 times since 1986, but I know this was it.   Always will be one of my favorite bands. 

Note to self... I will never see a metal show in that venue again. Terrible place for a metal audience. 

Do you think they screwed over KK?

2 hours ago, mreaves said:

Do you think they screwed over KK?

I am not sure. I've read the stories, and some of it doesn't add up on both sides...particularly the whole thing with the "farewell tour' a bunch of years ago. For whatever reason the connection never happened, and now he is doing his own thing. 

I thought Tipton was going to be brought out for a song or 2 last night because he has been making appearances, but I think the Parkinsons is really taking its toll on him. Really sad.

On 4/3/2022 at 4:00 PM, Cold Miser said:

good band, never could get into their 80's leather stuff.   Sad wings of destiny and sin after sin, though, killer albums

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Torch Tiger said:

good band, never could get into their 80's leather stuff.   Sad wings of destiny and sin after sin, though, killer albums

Loved the 80s stuff, and never really thought much about what they wore, since much of the European metal scene was/ is heavy on the leather.  Painkiller is my favorite album. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

Loved the 80s stuff, and never really thought much about what they wore, since much of the European metal scene was/ is heavy on the leather.  Painkiller is my favorite album. 

Yeah I get bored with formula music, like Metallica-Metallica (that was a rough makeover) or AC/DC.  British Steel for ex: Does nothing for me.

• Like 1