Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

1 minute ago, IronTy said:

I mean, anything's possible, even a meteor like the one that wiped out the archosaurs.   In 18yrs here we've only had one significant snow event in March and even that melted by mid afternoon.  I'll take the under.   

Man it really does suck there lol. March has been way better than December here in recent years and as good or better than February. Good thing you have 100+ acres on the Alleghany Front now. You won't care much whether or not it snows in southern MD.

Just now, CAPE said:

Man it really does suck there lol. March has been way better than December here in recent years and as good or better than February. Good thing you have 100+ acres on the Alleghany Front now. You won't care much whether or not it snows in southern MD.

Lol, I don't have that acreage yet.  I'm impressed you remembered.  Closing is on 3/9.  I did sell a whole bunch of stocks so I'm ready to roll.  It's just under 200ac.

I was born in Detroit and lived in Michigan for 24yrs.  Frankly by March I'm ready for warm weather so this recent trend of cold springs can eat a dick.  I have a good story about trying to maneuver a GSXR1100 in the snow in Michigan in May.  No thanks, been there, done that.  

1 hour ago, CAPE said:

This might be it. If we gonna get one, it's likely in the 10-17 window.

1647129600-gIgLMi5wRVM.png

1647129600-gKZncFqZMQw.png

Op GFS (I know) gets pretty close a couple of times. From right around the 10th and then for pretty much the end of its run. Just exciting for there still to be a possibility of tracking. 

3 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Lol the only Facebook group I’m in is a Minnesota Vikings fan group. How sad is my life I ask you.

Sad? You're doing it exactly right. I no longer spend any time on time suck social media. Even here it's not wasting my time. Sports groups are just shouting matches and egos. I mean it's fun if you have time for it. Tik tok may be the greatest time waster ever invented. My 25 year old daughter disconnected permanently for that reason. 

I'll bet you spend a lot of time outdoors and working with your hands to drive satisfaction and reward in your life. Not 100% sure but I get that vibe. I'm exactly that. I don't even watch network TV at all anymore. I'm done with that dumb stuff. I have bigger plans and they all include the natural world. Not a 4x6 rectangle screen looking for people to make fun of. 

• Like 8

24 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Lol the only Facebook group I’m in is a Minnesota Vikings fan group. How sad is my life I ask you.

lol clskinsfan seems to be a huge poster at extremeskins.com. Im in a couple of guitar groups but mostly read only. Luckily for you all, this is really the only forum outside of twitter that i post regularly in and its only 4 months a year:)

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Sad? You're doing it exactly right. I no longer spend any time on time suck social media. Even here it's not wasting my time. Sports groups are just shouting matches and egos. I mean it's fun if you have time for it. Tik tok may be the greatest time waster ever invented. My 25 year old daughter disconnected permanently for that reason. 

I'll bet you spend a lot of time outdoors and working with your hands to drive satisfaction and reward in your life. Not 100% sure but I get that vibe. I'm exactly that. I don't even watch network TV at all anymore. I'm done with that dumb stuff. I have bigger plans and they all include the natural world. Not a 4x6 rectangle screen looking for people to make fun of. 

Spot on man.  I have always been an outdoors person and love to build things.  Some people do yoga, some meditate but working with your hands outside is just another form of meditation, imo.  Laser focused on the task at hand and very little distractions.  I have also disconnected from social and it has been so nice.  I still use twitter but eliminated everyone I followed with the exception of fishing, gardening, science and weather accounts. You learn real quick that you actually don't gaf what the lunatic fringe thinks....spending the time to read comments on any social will rot your brain and your soul. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

I quit Facebook 3 years ago. I am a much more sane human being after doing it. Gonna add to this after reading the posts after this one that I am also an outdoor person. Coming into garden season very soon. And this year will be the biggest garden I have ever done. Over 1/4 acre and trying all kinds of new veggies I have never grown before. Looking forward to success and failure. Failures lead to learning. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Bob Chill said:

16 minutes ago, poolz1 said:

Spot on man.  I have always been an outdoors person and love to build things.  Some people do yoga, some meditate but working with your hands outside is just another form of meditation, imo.  Laser focused on the task at hand and very little distractions.  I have also disconnected from social and it has been so nice.  I still use twitter but eliminated everyone I followed with the exception of fishing, gardening, science and weather accounts. You learn real quick that you actually don't gaf what the lunatic fringe thinks....spending the time to read comments on any social will rot your brain and your soul. 

I've quit 5-6 social media platforms over the past several years because of the overabundance of:

• "Look how perfect MY life is!" posts, designed to run up the poster's like/love reaction count, when YOU and OTHER friends know that their "perfect" life is just a manufactured electronic construct, and
  • "SIGH, I'm feeling so (fill in name of dramatic, emo mindset)..." posts, where zero additional context is given, but where you're clearly supposed to enable the poster by asking what's wrong.

Social media is like manna from heaven for life's attention whores. And to Bob's separate point, we ditched cable TV a few years ago and never looked back...we've managed to tailor (and enjoy far more) the handful of hours we now reserve for TV.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, clskinsfan said:

I quit Facebook 3 years ago. I am a much more sane human being after doing it. Gonna add to this after reading the posts after this one that I am also an outdoor person. Coming into garden season very soon. And this year will be the biggest garden I have ever done. Over 1/4 acre and trying all kinds of new veggies I have never grown before. Looking forward to success and failure. Failures lead to learning. 

Build a fence. A good one. Save yourself some heartache. Deer, rabbits and ground hogs have no conscience lol. And other than hot peppers and begonias, in my experience, will eat anything.

I built one and sunk 4” pvc into the ground as sleeves so my fence is removable in sections after the growing season.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, poolz1 said:

Spot on man.  I have always been an outdoors person and love to build things.  Some people do yoga, some meditate but working with your hands outside is just another form of meditation, imo.  Laser focused on the task at hand and very little distractions.  I have also disconnected from social and it has been so nice.  I still use twitter but eliminated everyone I followed with the exception of fishing, gardening, science and weather accounts. You learn real quick that you actually don't gaf what the lunatic fringe thinks....spending the time to read comments on any social will rot your brain and your soul. 

It's all subjective but common interest forums are the real power of social media imo. Niche hobbies or any unusual serious interest (we all have at least 1) are usually hard to find others to share thoughts and ideas with. There's not a person on my street who gives a F about tracking snowstorms. I know that for sure. Lol.

For those reasons, and the way I personally use social media, it really is enriching, rewarding, and increases my knowledge base of things that are important to me. When I have free fun time I like to joke around and have fun. That's satisfying too. But I watch myself and keep myself in my lane. There are more rabbit holes in social media than actual rabbits on earth. And very few add any value to your life or help you in any way. 

The absolute strangest part of socal media to me is how many millions of people are rabidly interested in other people's problems. We all gotz problems man. Maybe instead of caring about other people's problems and spending hours a day on them it would be smarter and far more rewarding to work on your own instead. 

Eta: I'm OT'ing the F out of a wx disco thread. I've looked around at the next few weeks and there's enough cold moving around to get it done with some luck. That's all I got. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I still find some value in social media. I mean, firstly, as a musician, I almost have to stay connected in that capacity--both personally as a freelancer, and as a church music director. And that avenue has been even more important since the pandemic! You have all kinds of virtual events, and these days the fastest way to get the word out about what's going on at your church or wherever is through social media. So for me it's quote useful. YouTube as well! So I guess for us artsy types it's a bit different. But in general, it's all in how you use it. Facebook is more personal than Twitter (partly because you can control what friends see what, lol). There's nothing wrong with sharing joys and sorrows--because we all do better when we support each other. It's not always "for attention"...and in struggle, some people legit go through stuff and it sometimes it just comes out. But then, if you are careful about your friend list and who sees what...you'd be surprised at the prayers and support you get.

On Twitter, I may comment but I never tweet myself...it's a little more wild, imo

All that to say...I guess it all depends on the person using it!

Still looks interesting around mid-month, a lot of cold air draining out of central Canada and strong storms near the coast. At that time range can you really ask for much more as a general theme? Could it perhaps be a month like March 1983 that flipped from mild to cold around mid-month? I recall a 5" snowfall late in that month in Ontario, not sure if you had any snow that far south. That snow came quite a while after early spring blooms and bare ground, green grass etc up north of Toronto where it does not often look that way in early March. 

Anyway, if not snow then certainly strong cold winds indicated, probably snow flurries from lake effect spilling over the mountains. Looks rather toasty before that phase begins. The thaw just started here, snow to slush in a cold foggy rain. 

• Like 2