Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

3 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

I missed it. It was during the end of my first season in CO. I was so blown away by rockies snowstorms that the 93 storm went mostly unnoticed by me. It was only years later when I really understood what happened when I started feeling like I missed something big. I missed Jan of 96 for the same reason. 

Personally I think 03 was a better storm than 96. It is the most underrated storm in our area IMO. 

Still a couple of legit chances showing up on the GFS this run. The one toward the end of next week is interesting. Amped up but west. Then jumps too late for us. Definitely something to watch though. 

8 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Personally I think 03 was a better storm than 96. It is the most underrated storm in our area IMO. 

Still a couple of legit chances showing up on the GFS this run. The one toward the end of next week is interesting. Amped up but west. Then jumps too late for us. Definitely something to watch though. 

we western Loudouners need our event...we havent had one yet

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Feb 03' is underrated? Lol Why?

36 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

No one ever talks about it. And I got more snow from 03 than 96 here. Snow in an imby game. Like always. 

I mean...I don't know how other parts of the subforum fared, but that was a 2- footer here that caved in roofs (like the B & O). All heavy and wet! Imo no 2- footer should be underrated--given ya only see one every 6-7 years!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, anotherman said:

It was during my senior year of high school.  Living outside of Philly.  There was a thunderstorm ongoing when I went to bed on the 12th and when I woke up there was heavy snow blowing drifts up against the front door.  We missed school for a long time, mostly because of all the sleet that had made the roads like a minefield.

Same - living in South Jersey.

I was excited by the storm, but even though we picked up about a foot of snow, I think I was more annoyed by the sleet and rain to really appreciate it. :lol:

3 hours ago, jaydreb said:

You must be the same age as me.  Graduated high school in 1993.  I remember the storm pretty well.  Living in central NJ at the time and we lost power and got a good amount of snow.  Blizzard of ‘96, however, still takes the cake for me.  I was home from college for winter break and we got 30”.  

I was in Central Jersey for 93. I was 11 years old. I remember a foot of snow followed by warm and rain and then everything iced over. You could walk on top of the snow and it was impossible to move. Guy next door got tired of shoveling and drove his car over the ice mound at the bottom of his drive way and destroyed the car. Blizzard of 96 was a lot better. 

We can do cold and dry here in March lol.

Hopefully the advertised cold period is legit and we can time something up. There certainly have been hints on the ensembles, but we are talking the 10th at the earliest and likely beyond, so no consistent signal yet.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CAPE said:

Hopefully the advertised cold period is legit and we can time something up. There certainly have been hints on the ensembles, but we are talking the 10th at the earliest and likely beyond, so no consistent signal yet.

If the cold is here in March I will take my chances. Way easier to get amped systems in March than the dead of winter. We'll see. But I do like our chances for something mid month for sure. 

Just now, CAPE said:

It seems like the cold air might be fairly transient, even if briefly intense. Probably need a wave within 48-72 hours after the big FROPA to have a good airmass in place. Long way out still. 

I’m mostly hoping my magnolia and daffodils don’t get ambitious in the next 4 days so they don’t get nuked next weekend.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WxUSAF said:

It seems like the cold air might be fairly transient, even if briefly intense. Probably need a wave within 48-72 hours after the big FROPA to have a good airmass in place. Long way out still. 

I’m mostly hoping my magnolia and daffodils don’t get ambitious in the next 4 days so they don’t get nuked next weekend.

Mine just started popping out here. But they never make it here. They will be nuked in the next few days. :)

1 minute ago, WxUSAF said:

3 straight days of 60-75. :yikes:

5 minutes ago, CAPE said:

3 straight days of 60-75. :yikes:

Yeah. South facing daffodils likely to pop. Ones in shady spaces are still a long way off. Thankfully my magnolia seems to be a couple weeks off still. I’ve had it bloom in February before and then get obliterated in March. 

9 hours ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

@CAPE said it’s gonna snow so I’m feeling good

You told me last month we’d have a wonderful stretch of snowy and cold days. Wtf happened lol

1 hour ago, nj2va said:

We need an angry emoji reaction on the board.

Ha, people abuse negative reaction emojis unfortunately 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Yeah. South facing daffodils likely to pop. Ones in shady spaces are still a long way off. Thankfully my magnolia seems to be a couple weeks off still. I’ve had it bloom in February before and then get obliterated in March. 

17 years at this house which had a nice magnolia tree established when we moved in.  I think I have seen it in full bloom a few times.  Always prematurely destroyed by March cold. Is this the name of the game with magnolias or is "March is the new Dec" the culprit? 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, poolz1 said:

17 years at this house which had a nice magnolia tree established when we moved in.  I think I have seen it in full bloom a few times.  Always prematurely destroyed by March cold. Is this the name of the game with magnolias or is "March is the new Dec" the culprit? 

We’ve been in this house for 6.5 years now so my experience only runs that far with them. But they do seem inclined to bloom early. I think in those 6 springs, we’ve had 2 good blooms, 2 sort of intermediate that got some frost nip, and 2 early that got nuked by March cold.  So far the buds on mine don’t seem far along so I’m cautiously optimistic.

53 minutes ago, poolz1 said:

Basically growing a tree outside of its natural range is the culprit I’d say.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

We’ve been in this house for 6.5 years now so my experience only runs that far with them. But they do seem inclined to bloom early. I think in those 6 springs, we’ve had 2 good blooms, 2 sort of intermediate that got some frost nip, and 2 early that got nuked by March cold.  So far the buds on mine don’t seem far along so I’m cautiously optimistic.

They are actually pretty incredible if you think about it. They get destroyed every year by cold. Yet come back every single year as well. 

12 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Basically growing a tree outside of its natural range is the culprit I’d say.

It is a cold climate variety that is grown all the way up in Wisconsin.  The constant false start to spring and then return to deep winter cold is the culprit.