Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Feb 12/13 Event Quest for Blues to Envelop More Rather Than Less

North Balti Zen

20 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Yeah I think it got stuck...lol If it is indeed wrong that would take it from a winning g record to about .500...lol 

I’m fairness to the Gfs this is not the kind of setup where it should be used anyways. We wouldn’t even think to use it to place meso scale features in a larger scale storm. This is no different just makes it look worse since there is no larger synoptic feature to hide its meso scale deficiencies within. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, CAPE said:

That was the last event it nailed at range. Now the ICON figures it out sooner.

Dunno I still think it’s been less jumpy since the upgrade. It still has flaws but if you know when to adjust for them it’s been less prone to crazy tangents. Those are what used to drive me crazy. I can account for a models errors so long as it’s somewhat consistent.  But it’s back to being second best to the euro that’s for sure. It was always more the euro had a rough patch making the Gfs seem better by comparison. That said I do think the Gfs is incrementally better now. 

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

Dunno I still think it’s been less jumpy since the upgrade. It still has flaws but if you know when to adjust for them it’s been less prone to crazy tangents. Those are what used to drive me crazy. I can account for a models errors so long as it’s somewhat consistent.  But it’s back to being second best to the euro that’s for sure. It was always more the euro had a rough patch making the Gfs seem better by comparison. That said I do think the Gfs is incrementally better now. 

It is better, and has closed the gap with the Euro, but having a bit of a bad stretch recently. I knock it lately mostly to be contrarian to all those who claim it is now the superior global model. Lol it is not.

6 minutes ago, CAPE said:

It is better, and has closed the gap with the Euro, but having a bit of a bad stretch recently. I knock it lately mostly to be contrarian to all those who claim it is now the superior global model. Lol it is not.

It sucks with mesoscale events...this is an event which 30 years ago the forecast would likely have no snow except for probably SE MA with the coastal...no models back then would have had the resolution to see the band of snow generated from DC up to NYC.  The modern day GFS can sort of see that band but its misplacing it or thinking its going to be less significant.  The NGM/LFM/AVN  though probably would have had a totally dry forecast

• Like 2

1 minute ago, snowmagnet said:

CWG Isn’t enthusiastic. Coating to 2” with 3-6 possible in the mountains. 

1-2” seems to be the general consensus among all local media. Wbal, despite their chief met tweeting a model showing 3-6, went 1-2 for tomorrow. Will probably be areas that see more depending on banding, however. 

I've been out of the loop the last few days. Been unbelievably busy. Just got a chance to look a bit further. It's certainly a minor event we're looking at here. A majority will see 1-3" but a few spots could reach the 4" mark if things break right. Hi-res guidance has a weak area of 850mb frontogen basically running up the 95 corridor which should be a positive for areas along and NW of the fall line. Temps will be slowly improving through the overnight into the AM, but the modest rates and lack of strong forcing will keep ratios at a solid 8-10:1 with perhaps some slightly higher in the best bands. NBM currently has a wide area of 2" for most with some 3" readings along Parrs Ridge and the higher terrain running along the M/D up to NW of Philly. 18z HRRR was crazy bullish on snow potential surprisingly, so curious to see if it's off its rocker. HRDPS (Yeah I know it sucks) has been somewhat consistent on a 40 mile wide band in CMD that bisects MoCo/HoCo/Balt Co. I'd watch that area and places 20-30 miles either side. 

Enjoy the snow y'all!

Final call: Widespread 1-3" with lolli of 4" over portions of NMD and along Parrs Ridge possibly 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic