Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Medium/Long Range Discussion

snowmagnet

4 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

The ensembles really keep thinking we’ll get into a -EPO gradient pattern eventually!! Been advertising it for weeks now and perpetually been D10+ away. What I do takeaway is increasing confidence that Canada will NOT be entirely flushed with Pac air, so hopefully we can tap a solid airmass again at some point after 2/25.

i took your signature...divided the snow by the years...you are averaging 26 inches of snow pretty much since 09-10

1 minute ago, Ji said:

i took your signature...divided the snow by the years...you are averaging 26 inches of snow pretty much since 09-10

Yeah, bolstered obviously by 4 historic years in there. Median over that period is 19.5”. Both are higher than the “true” long term mean/median by some amount. I’d guess my true median is pretty close to last year and this year, 16-17”. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WxUSAF said:

The ensembles really keep thinking we’ll get into a -EPO gradient pattern eventually!! Been advertising it for weeks now and perpetually been D10+ away. What I do takeaway is increasing confidence that Canada will NOT be entirely flushed with Pac air, so hopefully we can tap a solid airmass again at some point after 2/25.

Yeah that's what I was trying to point out with the EPS map I posted yesterday. If the Sh!t pattern is relatively brief, should still have some workable cold not far to our north, so once the east coast ridge flattens we have a chance for the cold to press south some and get a wave to track along the boundary.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CAPE said:

Yeah that's what I was trying to point out with the EPS map I posted yesterday. If the Sh!t pattern is relatively brief, should still have some workable cold not far to our north, so once the east coast ridge flattens we have a chance for the cold to press south some and get a wave to track along the boundary.

GEFS does just that... this is March 2015-esque

NOT saying that this March will be anything that extreme, but the advertised pattern could certainly deliver with overrunning events riding the boundary

gfs-ensemble-all-avg-nhemi-z500_anom-6092800.thumb.png.bb3431f5fc4ea171a555304bba8586af.png3wS8ntr0Oc.png.064d122b770b568feb1d1b0f691fae70.png

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Weather Will said that we were done for the season though.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

GEFS does just that... this is March 2015-esque

NOT saying that this March will be anything that extreme, but the advertised pattern could certainly deliver with overrunning events riding the boundary

gfs-ensemble-all-avg-nhemi-z500_anom-6092800.thumb.png.bb3431f5fc4ea171a555304bba8586af.png3wS8ntr0Oc.png.064d122b770b568feb1d1b0f691fae70.png

I'm honestly surprised there haven't been any "confused" reactions to this yet since the map has yellow/orange over us.

That said...those two H5 anomaly maps are astonishingly carbon copy-ish looks.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, mattie g said:

I'm honestly surprised there haven't been any "confused" reactions to this yet since the map has yellow/orange over us.

That said...those two H5 anomaly maps are astonishingly carbon copy-ish looks.

I posted a similar h5 map from around the the same timeframe off the EPS yesterday and I got at least a couple :blink: 

I think some people have a hard time interpreting a smoothed mean (understandably), and also context matters.

Just now, Chris78 said:

Didn't like hours 360 through 384 ? Lol

Yeah that was great and all, always like to see snow and stuff on the long range GFS and it was a decent storm. But tell me that this H5 with cold air and a high pressure in place with a low just south of the Florida panhandle that this would not of been the main storm.

500hv.conus.png

4 hours ago, mattie g said:

I think DC itself struggled, but plenty of us just north and west had a decent month.

Edit: What WxUSAF said.

I can’t remember the year but I remember it was one of the few times I saw -0 temps and it was March.  Saw -4 driving through Bull Run Battlefield. Maybe 2015.  Negative anything is rare here any month.  

1 hour ago, BristowWx said:

I can’t remember the year but I remember it was one of the few times I saw -0 temps and it was March.  Saw -4 driving through Bull Run Battlefield. Maybe 2015.  Negative anything is rare here any month.  

Lots of -5 to -10 in central VA that morning.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic