• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 4 2022 Stupid Ice Threat

mappy

dang i guess the cold air went on a diet and isn't falling like a fat rock anymore. I wasn't necessarily thrilled with any ice prospects but i did think the huge temp drop would have been fun. Oh well....upper 50's to lower 50's it is....not quite as exciting but at least my sidewalks will get cleaned

2 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

dang i guess the cold air went on a diet and isn't falling like a fat rock anymore. I wasn't necessarily thrilled with any ice prospects but i did think the huge temp drop would have been fun. Oh well....upper 50's to lower 50's it is....not quite as exciting but at least my sidewalks will get cleaned

And my car needs a rinse!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Jeff B said:

I agree, @Mappy. You, Zen, Eskimo Joe and I here in Balto County are all still looking at a decent ice event.

Maybe so... but we all need to remember that the ground will be quite warm so even when the temp  does goes below freezing, the ground will need to cool down too.  I will be on the edge of this in central BC.

42 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

Still a fairly impressive T fall on the GFS for DCA.  It's just from 56 to 40 degrees (6 to 7 AM tomorrow) as opposed to the 51 to 28 that was forecast 48 hours ago. ... but yes with just one minor wobble (yesterday's 12 UT run was a bit colder at the surface than the 6 UT run) the GFS has trended warmer at DCA for 9 straight simulations.  

7 minutes ago, Jeff B said:

@Interstate what of BC?

BC = Baltimore County

3 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

My threshold is always 0.3" ice. After that things get interesting. Not confident we see that down here but mappy and the true northern folks might.

I hope this fizzles and becomes a zero event. But, all models are showing that temp drop by 7am tomorrow up this way. 

3 minutes ago, mappy said:

BC = Baltimore County

I hope this fizzles and becomes a zero event. But, all models are showing that temp drop by 7am tomorrow up this way. 

What's your elevation over there? Did you say it was like 700'? I'm sitting around 900'. It's pretty cool seeing the temp drop while getting within a couple miles of the house here. Hoping for something interesting tomorrow morning besides 33 degree rain lol

• Like 1

Just now, dailylurker said:

What's your elevation over there? Did you say it was like 700'? I'm sitting around 900'. It's pretty cool seeing the temp drop while getting within a couple miles of the house here. Hoping for something interesting tomorrow morning besides 33 degree rain lol

700-720 depending on where in my yard you're at, yes I've actually surveyed it :) 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mappy said:

Yes, I don't want it, so if it trends less, that'd be great. But its not a zero event here, yet ;) 

No one cares about us up here lol 

I did a quick glance at stuff. Long range HRRR still shows 0, but lol 

12K NAM is a quarter inch from me, along the MD/PA line out to Hagerstown

3K NAM isn't as high, but about .20 for you and I

GFS is above a quarter inch for all of the northern tier, Bel Air west to Hagerstown

Euro with the lowest amounts, about a tenth along the MD/PA line

This is why I became a spotter. When I moved to MD and realized that the local news outlets ignore the weather once you hit the MoCo FrCo line. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, mappy said:

BC = Baltimore County

Definitely NOT looking forward to this in any shape or form.

The southern pines have been freezing for weeks and are quite frail.  Doesn't take hardly any ice/wind combo to bring limbs down.

My buddy is driving from Philly to Frederick today and plans to drive back home tomorrow (Friday). Im not familiar with topography and micro climes down that way so I couldn't give him a solid answer on his travel conditions. Last I saw were a bunch of ice maps with Frederick in the crosshairs. Has this changed at all? I know up this way we aren't looking at much of anything frozen. Better for him to hold off leaving Frederick until Saturday AM or do you think Friday will be ok? Sorry to bother and clog the thread but I thank you for any advice.

3 minutes ago, mattie g said:

You wouldn't have guessed it based on some of the posts in here...and the GFS certainly "thought" that up until about this time yesterday.

GFS still "thinks" it could be a mess tomorrow for some. Guess we shall see. 

Enjoy your rain!

• Like 3

• mappy unpinned this topic