Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 4 2022 Stupid Ice Threat

mappy

14 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

My buddy is driving from Philly to Frederick today and plans to drive back home tomorrow (Friday). Im not familiar with topography and micro climes down that way so I couldn't give him a solid answer on his travel conditions. Last I saw were a bunch of ice maps with Frederick in the crosshairs. Has this changed at all? I know up this way we aren't looking at much of anything frozen. Better for him to hold off leaving Frederick until Saturday AM or do you think Friday will be ok? Sorry to bother and clog the thread but I thank you for any advice.

It really depends on what model you want to believe...I personally think its going to be a non event for most. I just dont see the cold push being as strong as some models are making it, so Ill side with the Euro/HRRR..Im assuming he would take I70 to 95....Main highways like that should be fine with this IMO. Though if he does have an issue it would probably be around Mt Airy where the elevation jumps up

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, mattie g said:

You wouldn't have guessed it based on some of the posts in here...and the GFS certainly "thought" that up until about this time yesterday.

There are people in our area near the M/D line that very much need to be worried about potential ice.  Just because 70% of people won't see ice doesn't mean others can't be concerned.  Any ice is major.

• Like 2

Not an ice fan but was hoping for a day off for my teacher wife as my 4-year old is going to be home all day tomorrow because they are having parent-teacher conferences and it's never fun trying to work while also fighting to keep him off screens and busy all day. Not looking good for me at the moment. Wish I could trade the rain off day from a couple weeks back for a rain off day tomorrow. At least my car is getting a much-needed cleansing of all the salt.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mappy said:

Just responding in kind. :) 

Let's be honest, we didn't even do ice tracking well this time. The GFS led the charge and we thought it had a chance at being vastly different than a lot of guidance, but like they usually do, everything moved towards each other and converged in the middle. It won't be all rain for me or you, but it also most likely won't be .5" of ice either. 

I thought for a sec we were in trouble when the 12z GFS and then Euro and the 18z NAM had gotten icier, but pretty much everything has trended downwards from there. 

Just now, DDweatherman said:

Let's be honest, we didn't even do ice tracking well this time. The GFS led the charge and we thought it had a chance at being vastly different than a lot of guidance, but like they usually do, everything moved towards each other and converged in the middle. It won't be all rain for me or you, but it also most likely won't be .5" of ice either. 

I thought for a sec we were in trouble when the 12z GFS and then Euro and the 18z NAM had gotten icier, but pretty much everything has trended downwards from there. 

We were never going to get a half inch of ice. Despite GFS and NAM throwing out stupid amounts of it. I've been a fan of the Euro the whole time, but you know everyone thinks the Euro sucks, so...

I don't want ice, and I hope it doesn't happen. 

Seems like Euro may have done the best with this one. It had one or two runs where it pushed the ice down past I-70 but for the most part advertised far northern areas as the only spots where ice would be a problem. GFS definitely hyped the cold push too much, which is weird since I don't think it usually does that.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, mappy said:

Anyway, 3K NAM backed off the cold push, maybe light icing at the end. Exciting for those who don't want ice! 

12Z WB 3K NAM.  Stick a fork in the ice event!  (Good thing!). Now we can hit the reset button and hopefully have something to track for the second half of February by the end of next week.

4D3EF1F7-B4E9-4460-8856-16FBE47933A9.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

Seems like Euro may have done the best with this one. It had one or two runs where it pushed the ice down past I-70 but for the most part advertised far northern areas as the only spots where ice would be a problem. GFS definitely hyped the cold push too much, which is weird since I don't think it usually does that.

Whatever heater its been on (real or imagined) it didn't do very well here and was not good for the last storm.

• mappy unpinned this topic