• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 3-4 significant icing event for the interior, some sleet/snow possible. Coast mostly rain.

NJwx85

11 minutes ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

And that’s why we love Walt he’s the only one that does. I’m about 12 miles south of 84 and I often times don’t feel like I’m part of the subforum either. 

Yet further away from New York City on the East End of Long Island they still seem to qualify. Never quite figured that one out yet.

You could even add to that some parts of South Jersey and West Central Jersey. They also seem to make the cut and they’re further away than we are. 

I think alot of it has to do with their climo being very similar to one another. CNJ/NYC/LI all average roughly 25-33" of snow while snowfall averages double that once you get 40 or so miles N & NW. Geographically places in Orange county are closer to Central Park than parts of Western Suffolk.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, snywx said:

I think alot of it has to do with their climo being very similar to one another. CNJ/NYC/LI all average roughly 25-33" of snow while snowfall averages double that once you get 40 or so miles N & NW. Geographically places in Orange county are closer to Central Park than parts of Western Suffolk.

I’ve always thought of the eastern half of LI as being more similar to New England climo wise-like Cape Cod than Mid Atlantic but it’s still part of the NYC metro area. So who knows. 

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

And that’s why we love Walt he’s the only one that does. I’m about 12 miles south of 84 and I often times don’t feel like I’m part of the subforum either. 

Yet further away from New York City on the East End of Long Island they still seem to qualify. Never quite figured that one out yet.

You could even add to that some parts of South Jersey and West Central Jersey. They also seem to make the cut and they’re further away than we are. 

I feel like we have this discussion/debate at least 7 times per year.  Personally, I consider anyone who visits the subforum to be part of it, but that's just me.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

I’ve always thought of the eastern half of LI as being more similar to New England climo wise-like Cape Cod than Mid Atlantic but it’s still part of the NYC metro area. So who knows. 

I’m still not comfortable with any area in our sub forum referenced as the Mid Atlantic. When you look at the geography of the East Coast of the United States it’s just so far from off. You could maybe call the southern quarter of New Jersey the northern most extreme of the mid Atlantic and it would run down really through Central North Carolina. 

Weve had this discussion here before too So it’s probably pointless to bring it up again. Yet I did.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Eduardo said:

I feel like we have this discussion/debate at least 7 times per year.  Personally, I consider anyone who visits the subforum to be part of it, but that's just me.

People make these blanket statements about how the area is going to get this or that but don't realize that people in this forum are separated by 100 miles or more. Some places on the Island picked up 2ft with the latest storm and I got 2-3 inches. The climo is vastly different from eastern Long Island to Mid Hudson Valley. 

• Like 4
  • Weenie 2

9 minutes ago, HeadInTheClouds said:

People make these blanket statements about how the area is going to get this or that but don't realize that people in this forum are separated by 100 miles or more. Some places on the Island picked up 2ft with the latest storm and I got 2-3 inches. The climo is vastly different from eastern Long Island to Mid Hudson Valley. 

Yeah I mean, if you're here purely for IMBY info, then you're less likely to care.  True enthusiasts actually enjoy hearing about our area's different climates and microclimates.  That diversity of experience is actually a big part of what makes this hobby so fun for me!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

North of 287 is the hinterlands dude. It's awfully presumptuous of us to think we matter, just ask all the people from Brooklyn that I used to work with. They told me pretty much every day :(

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, SnoSki14 said:

That's fair until the other models trend towards GFS. 

This is something the GFS -in theory- should do better with, as much as I really do not like that model. 

That withstanding, I thought the TPV would win out, but the SER is a bit stronger than previous runs and this means the tri-state area is right on that ZR line. Not a good look rn and the metro looks to be square in the crosshairs. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, snywx said:

Also, population density.

The area around 84 is vast and sparsely populated.

Eastern Suffolk (say William Floyd on East) is tiny with more water than land. But even in its most rural parts, has more density than the 84 corridor does…so it gets talked about more.

I’m still not comfortable with any area in our sub forum referenced as the Mid Atlantic. When you look at the geography of the East Coast of the United States it’s just so far from off. You could maybe call the southern quarter of New Jersey the northern most extreme of the mid Atlantic and it would run down really through Central North Carolina. 

Weve had this discussion here before too So it’s probably pointless to bring it up again. Yet I did.

I would say climatologically the Mid Atlantic starts south of Trenton roughly.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, the_other_guy said:

Also, population density.

The area around 84 is vast and sparsely populated.

Eastern Suffolk (say William Floyd on East) is tiny with more water than land. But even in its most rural parts, has more density than the 84 corridor does…so it gets talked about more.

Nope. 

9A5FC231-EB3A-44F9-8310-5D74E90C7AC2.png

133A0225-9C81-4179-828A-53E7FA212C6D.webp

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It's because they're near the ocean, not the upstate hinterlands lol

• Haha 1

shhh we have a subtropical climate lol

2 hours ago, bluewave said:

The big story is how much colder the Euro got in just 24 hrs.  This is not surprising with these very shallow Arctic high pressure systems. Next several days will work out the specifics on rain, freezing rain, sleet, and snow. The NAM usually doesn’t catch on until we get to within a day or two. 

12z today 

2F5D16E8-C307-4301-AFD2-B23B36C314BA.thumb.png.204c7516b3d703234c722bc183427c38.png

12z yesterday

0124C896-4AA3-4A92-922D-48635B951B84.thumb.png.cc4c7e9fc40a602b7c5a4de41cb5381b.png

doesnt this remind you of a mini version of 1993-94?

especially with the snowfall events with a pos NAO

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

North of 287 is the hinterlands dude. It's awfully presumptuous of us to think we matter, just ask all the people from Brooklyn that I used to work with. They told me pretty much every day :(

LOL I used to work at the Essex County Youth House. I'd call NYC schools for the records of some kid and they'd be like, where are you calling from? I'd say Essex County, ummm, Newark? Ok, they'd heard of Newark....

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

Montauk is 116 miles from NYC and 98 miles from BOS.  Philly is closer to NYC.  

FWIW, 84 in NY is definitely part of this sub forum, but Clarkstown is not.

• Haha 3

• NJwx85 changed the title to February 3-4 significant icing event for the interior, some sleet/snow possible. Coast mostly rain.
  • IrishRob17 unpinned this topic