• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 3-4 significant icing event for the interior, some sleet/snow possible. Coast mostly rain.

NJwx85

It would take a lot going right for there to be snow down to NYC with this. There’s cold at the surface but a nasty warm layer above from the warm air being lifted in the overrunning. I think the ice storm makes sense here but the question is where. Probably the first time ever I’m rooting for the sleet storm. It’ll make the snowpack way denser and bulletproof. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

The GfS has shown this anafrontal type stuff before only to be brutally wrong. 

The front and wave or waves have plenty of moisture associated with this setup. The big question with this is how quickly the cold air pushes south and what precip type is the result and where. That is complicated and has not been resolved yet. 

3 minutes ago, HeadInTheClouds said:

The front and wave or waves have plenty of moisture associated with this setup. The big question with this is how quickly the cold air pushes south and what precip type is the result and where. That is complicated and has not been resolved yet. 

Yeah it's a pretty good moisture feed for a dampening wave. Lots of areas should get pretty significant snow over a relatively long duration. It just appears probably not us... again.

Just now, eduggs said:

Yeah it's a pretty good moisture feed for a dampening wave. Lots of areas should get pretty significant snow over a relatively long duration. It just appears probably not us... again.

The farther north and west you are the better chance you have with this one. I'm 20 miles north of 84 so hoping for some snow after initial rain, then sleet/ZR. We will see. 

5 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

It’s too early for the NAM. Need to wait till tomorrow night.

The height field ended up slightly more meridional on the NAM. Same thing on the ICON. That caused the SLP to gain more latitude. The GFS was much flatter... particularly 12z. I think the NAM will be more right than the GFS here. But I hope I'm wrong.

4 minutes ago, HeadInTheClouds said:

The farther north and west you are the better chance you have with this one. I'm 20 miles north of 84 so hoping for some snow after initial rain, then sleet/ZR. We will see. 

You're obviously in a much better spot than most of us for this one. I think you have a great shot at an extended period of wintry precip. But I still expect that the primary snow axis will be something like Ithaca to Saratoga. I'd like to see the EC shift BGM to ALB and then AVP to POU. Huge shifts would be nice :D

• Like 1

• NJwx85 changed the title to February 3-4 significant icing event for the interior, some sleet/snow possible. Coast mostly rain.
  • IrishRob17 unpinned this topic