• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 3-4 significant icing event for the interior, some sleet/snow possible. Coast mostly rain.

NJwx85

9 minutes ago, bluewave said:

I would be happy with the warmer Euro and GEM for our area since I am not a big fan of ice. 

E9FAAABB-9191-4DD3-8DCA-E04F9AC84279.thumb.png.92dfe878190be22e5ac9b3d02d31a077.png

I’m wondering if this will continue pressing south in the coming days. That’s some nasty confluence and high pressure trying to push down, and often at this lead time models don’t see the surface cold air. That upper air chart screams ice storm somewhere. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jm1220 said:

I’m wondering if this will continue pressing south in the coming days. That’s some nasty confluence and high pressure trying to push down, and often at this lead time models don’t see the surface cold air. That upper air chart screams ice storm somewhere. 

That depends if the Arctic high builds to our north fast enough. 

On the warmer models it builds in as the wave approaches.

2 hours ago, crossbowftw3 said:

And then snow on top of that is a recipe for disaster.

It appears that a crippling ice storm is going to hit part of the country. 

Fortunately, the tri-state area looks to be in better shape - for now. Given the strength of the HP, I would not rule such drastic SE shifts as the 06z at this time. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, USCG RS said:

Fortunately, the tri-state area looks to be in better shape - for now. Given the strength of the HP, I would not rule such drastic SE shifts as the 06z at this time. 

Better shape in terms of warmer rain or colder snow? 

Historically speaking these big ice events hardly ever work out for our area but the setup is more like you would normally get in the Southern plains or the Osarks with the strong high to the North and a positively tilted trough with massive amounts of overrunning. The cold air isn’t retreating either, unlike most of our ice threats. Could be very nasty, especially for the Hudson Valley and points West.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, USCG RS said:

You have to see how shallow the warm air is. If most of the column is cold or if the warm layer is above 925mb that would favor more sleet.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

With the position of the high and the strength, expect this to trend south.

Maybe maybe not. A stronger overrunning wave will push it north. But at this lead time the cold air might not be showing up as well as it would be at the surface. This would be a nasty ice storm for a pretty wide area if this setup stays as is. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• NJwx85 changed the title to February 3-4 significant icing event for the interior, some sleet/snow possible. Coast mostly rain.
  • IrishRob17 unpinned this topic