• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
2022 Atlantic Hurricane season

StormchaserChuck!

The 12Z UKMET is the 5th run in a row to have a TC from what has become the newest E MDR lemon. The Sun 9/4 12Z run UKMET was the first major op model to have this as an actual TC and was soon followed up by others. Will the UKMET end up with kudos? Or will it fail (phantom)? We'll see later:

NEW TROPICAL CYCLONE FORECAST TO DEVELOP AFTER  90 HOURS
              FORECAST POSITION AT T+ 90 : 10.5N  30.8W

LEAD                 CENTRAL     MAXIMUM WIND
      VERIFYING TIME    TIME   POSITION   PRESSURE (MB)  SPEED (KNOTS)
      --------------    ----   --------   -------------  -------------
    1200UTC 10.09.2022   96  10.9N  31.7W     1010            26
    0000UTC 11.09.2022  108  11.8N  35.2W     1010            28
    1200UTC 11.09.2022  120  12.4N  38.2W     1009            30
    0000UTC 12.09.2022  132  14.1N  40.8W     1007            35
    1200UTC 12.09.2022  144  15.5N  43.8W     1006            36

---------------------------------------------------------------
 For comparison, here was that first UKMET run picking it up, the Sun 9/4 12Z run:

NEW TROPICAL CYCLONE FORECAST TO DEVELOP AFTER 120 HOURS
              FORECAST POSITION AT T+120 :  9.8N  26.4W

1200UTC 09.09.2022  120   9.8N  26.4W     1009            26
    0000UTC 10.09.2022  132  10.6N  30.4W     1009            29
    1200UTC 10.09.2022  144  11.4N  34.2W     1008            33

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, CheeselandSkies said:

Meh. The usual disclaimer about never wishing death and destruction on people, yadda yadda...

However, I'd be lying if I didn't say that guaranteed fish lose of some of their interest for me, even satellite-photogenic high-ACE ones like Sam from last year. It's the days of nail-biting as the models windshield-wiper from New York to Corpus Christi and back, the hype on the Weather Channel, Morgerman nerding out on social media and agonizing about where he's gonna go, etc.

We need a major threat to land to really dig into the good ol' morality debate again.

Hopefully we get a chance this year. :P

• Haha 2

I'm a homeowner in Palm Beach County, Florida and I am rooting for a solid cat 1 strike in my area.  I'd take anything that doesn't cause financial damage to my house (or my collection of fruit trees in my backyard).  But a good 70-80 mph storm causing some power outages I'd take (my in-laws live down the street with a whole-house generator so not worried about power outages).  Of course if a Dorian-style major hurricane does strike my area and kill my fruit trees and cause damage to my house, I would be pissed but I wouldn't regret my wishcasting for a storm since that wishcasting had zero impact on the MH strike.  So yeah, I'll be the first to say I hope for some good landfalling hurricanes.

• Like 1

Regarding the newest lemon for the AEW modeled to emerge from Africa 9/7-8, at 240 hours the 12Z GFS/CMC have only a very weak surface reflection whereas the 12Z Euro has an organized though weak low moving westward. They are all in the general vicinity of the Leeward Islands suggesting that this may have to be dealt with somewhere in the western basin in ~10-15 days.

Edit: The 12Z EPS is very active with this. What's worrisome is that a good number of members after moving WNW change headings to W near 45W (similar to the operational) ~9/13 and then head W with the accompanying steering high to the north from there through 9/16 to 55-60W in a potentially dangerous position.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, GaWx said:

Regarding the newest lemon for the AEW modeled to emerge from Africa 9/7-8, at 240 hours the 12Z GFS/CMC have only a very weak surface reflection whereas the 12Z Euro has an organized though weak low moving westward. They are all in the general vicinity of the Leeward Islands suggesting that this may have to be dealt with somewhere in the western basin in ~10-15 days.

Edit: The 12Z EPS is very active with this. What's worrisome is that a good number of members after moving WNW change headings to W near 45W (similar to the operational) ~9/13 and then head W with the accompanying steering high to the north from there through 9/16 to 55-60W in a potentially dangerous position.

Not sure if it matters much at this point but it looks like almost all of the members end up curving out to sea. 

Screenshot_20220906-175706_Chrome.jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, cptcatz said:

I'm a homeowner in Palm Beach County, Florida and I am rooting for a solid cat 1 strike in my area.  I'd take anything that doesn't cause financial damage to my house (or my collection of fruit trees in my backyard).  But a good 70-80 mph storm causing some power outages I'd take (my in-laws live down the street with a whole-house generator so not worried about power outages).  Of course if a Dorian-style major hurricane does strike my area and kill my fruit trees and cause damage to my house, I would be pissed but I wouldn't regret my wishcasting for a storm since that wishcasting had zero impact on the MH strike.  So yeah, I'll be the first to say I hope for some good landfalling hurricanes.

That's strange.  Its one thing to like the chase, its another to want landfall and damage for the area

The 2010 parade of Central Atlantic fish storms has returned.     Any chance for a landfall will be over Bermuda,  or northeastern lesser Antilles.   It's also possible something phases and hits Europe or NF.

2 hours ago, cptcatz said:

Not sure if it matters much at this point but it looks like almost all of the members end up curving out to sea. 

Screenshot_20220906-175706_Chrome.jpg

8 hours ago, Hoosier said:

We need a major threat to land to really dig into the good ol' morality debate again.

Hopefully we get a chance this year. :P

I'm honestly glad we're not getting hits right now. We're already going through major economic turmoil, the last thing we need is a major hurricane threat. 

Still way too early to say it'll last though. Gotta watch the Caribbean/Gulf late September into October.

24 minutes ago, Floydbuster said:

I'm still most interested in the wave leaving Africa right now.

Unlike the 12Z ICON, which appeared to be setting up for a recurve way out there based on a big upper low off the CONUS, the 0Z ICON has a very different H5 setup to its NW late in the run.

The 0Z UKMET is the 6th in a row with genesis although it develops quite a bit later than the other runs: phantom alert or just delayed development, who knows?

NEW TROPICAL CYCLONE FORECAST TO DEVELOP AFTER 132 HOURS
              FORECAST POSITION AT T+132 : 15.7N  43.0W

1200UTC 12.09.2022  132  15.7N  43.0W     1011            25
    0000UTC 13.09.2022  144  17.7N  45.7W     1011            29

12 hours ago, GaWx said:

The 0Z UKMET is the 6th in a row with genesis although it develops quite a bit later than the other runs: phantom alert or just delayed development, who knows?

NEW TROPICAL CYCLONE FORECAST TO DEVELOP AFTER 132 HOURS
              FORECAST POSITION AT T+132 : 15.7N  43.0W

1200UTC 12.09.2022  132  15.7N  43.0W     1011            25
    0000UTC 13.09.2022  144  17.7N  45.7W     1011            29

For the first time in seven runs, the 12Z UKMET doesn't make this a TC! Keep in mind that the UKMET was the first model to develop this into a TD. Is it now saying "psyche"? :lol:

12 minutes ago, cptcatz said:

12z GFS has zero tropical cyclogenesis and CMC dropped this leading wave as well along with the 00z Euro.  This season is getting pretty laughable.  

About as dead as  it  can get. Dani had to get to greenland to form, early  is still on the struggle  bus until it  can get away from the  tropics, the  one  behind  it  looks  like a dried  up prune.. Looks like a  zero storm season. Still hoping for a  1 storm season but thats quickly fading. Other than a  6hr Bonnie there  has  been no tropical development whatsoever this season.

3 minutes ago, ldub23 said:

About as dead as  it  can get. Dani had to get to greenland to form, early  is still on the struggle  bus until it  can get away from the  tropics, the  one  behind  it  looks  like a dried  up prune.. Looks like a  zero storm season. Still hoping for a  1 storm season but thats quickly fading. Other than a  6hr Bonnie there  has  been no tropical development whatsoever this season.

Yeah September is looking pretty dead but you still can't rule out one or two October western Caribbean monsters ala Michael/Wilma/Matthew/Sandy.

28 minutes ago, cptcatz said:

Yeah September is looking pretty dead but you still can't rule out one or two October western Caribbean monsters ala Michael/Wilma/Matthew/Sandy.

We can definitely  rule  out wilma  and  2005. This borefest is  nothing  like that. The  other seasons gave some  indications that  something  like that  could  happen. Strong hurricanes  hitting  SO CAL tells  me a carribean monster  isnt  likely this season. May as well hope  for  something  though, its all we got. There will be  no "homebrew" with that  massive trof  off the  coast.

And  yes, bebops  mean nothing  to me.

With the east pac  in el nino mode again i doubt the western basin will be terribly  active.

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_56.png

Thats a  cat5 trof  in the western ATL for  early  Sept.

202209071740.gif

5 hours ago, GaWx said:

For the first time in seven runs, the 12Z UKMET doesn't make this a TC! Keep in mind that the UKMET was the first model to develop this into a TD. Is it now saying "psyche"? :lol:

The 12Z EPS has ~30% of the members become a H. A handful of them threaten the Leewards to Bermuda corridor 9/19-22. Another two of them hit near the NC/SC border 9/20-22. All fwiw.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Two hurricanes in the basin, one of which is forecasted to become a cat 4, and it’s dead. Can’t make it up. :lol: 

Sept has had ~17-18 of ACE for the first 7 days. That compares to ~15 1991-2020 normal. Pretty impressive turnaround from the total shutout of August.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, GaWx said:

Sept has had ~17-18 of ACE for the first 7 days. That compares to ~15 1991-2020 normal. Pretty impressive turnaround from the total shutout of August.

I'm expecting Western Caribbean activity in October. 

These youngsters are too spoiled. Some years have October storms like Keith or Lili. These spoiled hurricane trackers are used to Greek crap like Hurricane Zylor by September 25th.

thats-the-way-it-was-and-we-liked-it.jpg

• Sad 1

Idub has been trolling about hurricanes on this forum for like 5 years now. Stop giving him attention and his trolling will stop. Everyone here has been trying to get through to him for a while so nothing is going to change.  I commend the consistent and persistent trolling, however. 

Anyways Euro on 12z wants a piece of Earl to break off and form a new tropical cyclone around Bermuda this weekend.

ec-fast_mslpa_atl_6.png

Supported by a number of EPS ensembles too. 

eps_lowlocs_atl_21.png