• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2022 Atlantic Hurricane season

StormchaserChuck!

All arguments aside, the  JB-o-Meter is sitting at  zero. As far as tropical storms i would 1 million times want a tropical storm to hit  here than seeing  20 greenland/azores  hurricanes doing  nothing. Im old enough to remember tropical storm Doria back in 1971. Practically went right  over  my house. It was awesome seeing the  outer  cirrus  following by a  lowering  cloud deck with 2 outer  bands bring  heavy squalls  followed  by  40-60 mph  winds with a few gusts  over  70.

**Does anyone think we will ever again see a  well developed  hurricane sitting  at 14n 55w  moving  wnw with no sign of an east  coast  trof?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ldub23 said:

All arguments aside, the  JB-o-Meter is sitting at  zero. As far as tropical storms i would 1 million times want a tropical storm to hit  here than seeing  20 greenland/azores  hurricanes doing  nothing. Im old enough to remember tropical storm Doria back in 1971.1671

**Does anyone think we will ever again see a  well developed  hurricane sitting  at 14n 55w  moving  wnw with no sign of an east  coast  trof?

hey you recalled the wrong year...

5 hours ago, cptcatz said:

And the 12z Euro just went completely poof on the current lemon.  It's still developing the wave behind that one but I'm sure it'll go poof on that one too in a few days.

It develops the wave  behind  it a  bit but its much much much much weaker than last night. It will be dropped  tonight.

From the way some people were talking in here a few days ago you'd think we were having an above normal hurricane season right now. But with Earl under performing immensely and nothing on the models into the heart of the season with more hostile conditions I really don't think things are going to change. People were acting like having Earl and Danielle meant that this inactive season was over, but that's not the case. I'm sure we'll get a few more storms but even Earl and Danielle couldn't max out what they were forecast to do strength wise. Once Earl is gone things are going to be dead yet again for a while

• Like 1

While it’s a known bias for the Euro to overdevelop AEWs, it’s actually incredible to see the operational and ensembles consistently spin up what are effectively fantasy storms in the MDR. 

The only one it’s done a reasonably good job with is Earl, and even then the operational was too aggressive. 

We don’t even need to go into the seasonal forecast, which is objectively an all-time fail.

The GFS hasn’t been much better, with a truly awful consistently wrong forecast in the western Caribbean (another known bias) and overdevelopment at times too. 

Part of it is the tropical Atlantic being overwhelmingly hostile, but even short term forecasts have been way off, Earl and Danielle being two examples.

• Like 1

Guidance has, um, apparently forgotten it’s hurricane season. Takeaways:

1. EC trough will continue to offer protection from anything that forms from the east

2. No MDR season this year. Rinse. Wash. Repeat. Wave breaking continues and it seems guidance has picked up on the hostile conditions. 

3. TUTT will continue to hinder development from eastern Caribbean through the middle of the basin 

4. Some hints at a more active western Caribbean though few members are showing actual development. I’m really thinking our only threats this year will originate here. 

Ensemble guidance 3 or 4 days ago, especially EPS, really looked like the proverbial switch had flipped as most members developed 95L, the current lemon, and the following wave. No more. We’re back to the doldrums in peak season. I have officially declared MDR dead. Thinking our season shifts with climo to western Caribbean and GOM but will be slow for next 10 days. We’ve probably surpassed 2013 bc of Earl, but at this point it may be a stretch to get double digit NS numbers. Never count out late September and October in the aforementioned areas though. It only takes one. I just don’t see it yet on any of the guidance this morning 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, NorthHillsWx said:

Guidance has, um, apparently forgotten it’s hurricane season. Takeaways:

1. EC trough will continue to offer protection from anything that forms from the east

2. No MDR season this year. Rinse. Wash. Repeat. Wave breaking continues and it seems guidance has picked up on the hostile conditions. 

3. TUTT will continue to hinder development from eastern Caribbean through the middle of the basin 

4. Some hints at a more active western Caribbean though few members are showing actual development. I’m really thinking our only threats this year will originate here. 

Ensemble guidance 3 or 4 days ago, especially EPS, really looked like the proverbial switch had flipped as most members developed 95L, the current lemon, and the following wave. No more. We’re back to the doldrums in peak season. I have officially declared MDR dead. Thinking our season shifts with climo to western Caribbean and GOM but will be slow for next 10 days. We’ve probably surpassed 2013 bc of Earl, but at this point it may be a stretch to get double digit NS numbers. Never count out late September and October in the aforementioned areas though. It only takes one. I just don’t see it yet on any of the guidance this morning 

I'm counting on the W Caribbean for at least an active October although Euro weeklies are tepid, at best.  GFS ensembles will continue to develop spurious lows in the SW Caribbean, I doubt anything happens in the next two weeks.  There are a couple of brief periods shear isn't completely hostile in the Gulf, but they are brief interludes in long stretches that suggest nothing survives in the Gulf through the 19th.  Which then brings the Texas Equinox End of Season rule, although in about 150 years of records, 1989 was a minor exception and 1949 was a solid Cat 2 exception.

The latest TWO, regarding the AEW in the E Atlantic, brought down TC chances to 20% from 30%. I think all here would agree that makes sense based on weaker model consensus and 20% even seems too high to me now. Even 10% would be looking generous for 5 day chances. The UKMET, which was the first model to develop this (12Z run of Sunday 9/4) and had all but one run do the same since has dropped it again in today's 0Z and 12Z runs. The non-ICON models/ensembles have hardly anything now. The dry and stable MDR has apparently claimed another victim. The latest SAL outbreaks are dominating much of the MDR! 

image.jpeg

Although ACE has been impressive for Sep 1-9 near 25-6 vs the 30 year avg near 18, it looks to drop off to near zero 9/11-15 and thus ~29-30 looks to be the max ACE for 9/1-15, barely under the normal of 33. So, what had been looking to me like an excellent shot at 40+ won't happen. Fail for my 40+ prediction for 9/1-15.

9 hours ago, Windspeed said:

Interesting thread/discussion. Of note, the entire Northern Hemisphere is only 55% of normal ACE for year date.

I think we can't use typical volcanic eruptions for comparisons because Tonga did not eject much ash into the stratosphere. It mainly ejected water vapor at an unprecedented level that we've never seen before. Water vapor would have different effects globally than ash etc. I'm just glad more people are starting to look at this type of data, it's better than nothing. Volcanic eruptions have been known to displace the ITCZ in the northern hemisphere before but like I said that was with ash filled eruptions and not water vapor. We really don't have many analogs for Tonga's type of eruption

• Like 2

5 hours ago, yoda said:

Nothing of interest really anywhere on the 00z GFS and 00z EURO runs tonight... besides maybe some crappy TS system late in the GFS run (i.e. Day 12+) that shows up in the E GOM and heads into the W ATL out to sea

All the models are starting to show that

Homebrew season

8 minutes ago, yoda said:

Yes... but that usually means a mess of a system or just tropical storm stuff

Umm late season homebrew has produced some monster storms including the lowest pressure ever recorded in the basin (Wilma) and one of only four cat5 landfalls on the CONUS (Michael).

Early  end to the season still on the  table. Euro shows  2 storms forming  in the East  Pac. This  "burst" of activity wasnt  much. A storm that  had to form from a  non tropical low  near greenland and another  one that  had to escape the tropics.

http://moe.met.fsu.edu/tcgengifs/ecmwf-oper/2022091012/slp8.png

The east  coast trof  hasnt  budged all season.