• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Powerful Multi-regional/ multi-faceted east coastal storm now above medium confidence: Jan 29 -30th, MA to NE, with snow and mix combining high wind, and tides. Unusual early confidence ...

Typhoon Tip

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah I disrtinctly remember Feb '13 had a couple runs where it looked like we might get 40"+ over a large area because it stalled well into Saturday afternoon. But it ended up slipping a little northeast before it did that....2015 I feel like stalled "on time" but the system was a little bit east of some of the consensus...most glaring the Euro was too far west.

RPM spat out 40" for HFD a couple times. I think once it also had 70" for BOS.

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah I disrtinctly remember Feb '13 had a couple runs where it looked like we might get 40"+ over a large area because it stalled well into Saturday afternoon. But it ended up slipping a little northeast before it did that....2015 I feel like stalled "on time" but the system was a little bit east of some of the consensus...most glaring the Euro was too far west.

Yeah, it was the Euro that massacred the spirits of nyc weenies

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

How does this storm compare to that one synoptically.

I would think the +AO/NAO this time around would cause the storm to tuck in closer to the coast over time. 

8 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Heh.. wasn't that that storm where the run up had a Euro cycle ( mind you, back before confidence in that model started to get rattled...so everyone had to believe it - right), back in 24" clear to western NJ ... prompting blizzard warnings and SOE statements from the mayor of NYC? 

2"    .... priceless

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Jan 2015 and to a lesser degree, Feb 2013 both captured a bit later and further east than modeled.

Yes they did... But when I look at the evolution at 500, my hedge would be an earlier (slightly) stall / capture. Not that it will make a big difference and not trying to suggest the storm will not be monster over a large area of eastern zones... Just right now I'd hedge a bit earlier.  Probably meaningless for many areas whether it does or doesn't.

1 minute ago, SnoSki14 said:

How does this storm compare to that one synoptically.

I would think the +AO/NAO this time around would cause the storm to tuck in closer to the coast over time. 

Feb '13 or Jan 15?

This one to me looks more like Jan 2015 as modeled right now. There's actually a lot of larger scale similarities.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, FXWX said:

Yes they did... But when I look at the evolution at 500, my hedge would be an earlier (slightly) stall / capture. Not that it will make a big difference and not trying to suggest the storm will not be monster over a large area of eastern zones... Just right now I'd hedge a bit earlier.  Probably meaningless for many areas whether it does or doesn't.

Maybe. I guess you are going more on meteorology and I am going on past experience. Like you said, I don't think it would make s huge difference here. Jeff it may...

5 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah I disrtinctly remember Feb '13 had a couple runs where it looked like we might get 40"+ over a large area because it stalled well into Saturday afternoon. 

Feb 06 2013 12Z NAM had 50-70" in BOS-BED-BVY, and showed 30-45 right up until the start of the event. Not even a huge bust; GFS was 15-20 and the final tally in Boston was 25.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ariof said:

Feb 06 2013 12Z NAM had 50-70" in BOS-BED-BVY, and showed 30-45 right up until the start of the event. Not even a huge bust; GFS was 15-20 and the final tally in Boston was 25.

PSU ewall actually stil has the loop archived if anyone wants to click....lol

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/fxg1/ARC/2013/20130206/WRFEAST_12z/wrfeastloop.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Heh.. wasn't that that storm where the run up had a Euro cycle ( mind you, back before confidence in that model started to get rattled...so everyone had to believe it - right), back in 24" clear to western NJ ... prompting blizzard warnings and SOE statements from the mayor of NYC? 

2"    .... priceless

Ant will be driving off a cliff if SNE gets 2' and he gets 2"

But it's a possibility. Hopefully the large nature of the storm at least drops warning snows this far west. 

• Typhoon Tip changed the title to Powerful Multi-regional/ multi-faceted east coastal storm now above medium confidence: Jan 29 -30th, MA to NE, with snow and mix combining high wind, and tides. Unusual early confidence ...
  • dendrite unpinned this topic