Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Late January and February Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

42 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

This is a VERY in your backyard query - this is NOT the case north of Baltimore. At. All. 

It’s a IMBY game. But you probably will be over 10” for January after this event? Think that’s still a pretty solid month.

2 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

Trof looks too broad...there's a Low in the maritimes acting like a temp 50/50 block type deal, but it to is moving...and at the same time not allowing heights to build.  We've reached the end. Light snow, nothing special..but, You'd take this look WAY more than the GFS

I am a big fan of tracker PBP for the long range threads btw. It's fun, Randy. Thanks.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

The PBP yesterday when he wasn't doing it in the other thread was an epic disaster 

Tracker knows exactly what to look for and how to present it with  neutral/reasonable narration. It's really pretty awesome. Especially during the week when I literally have 5 min to rip and read. 

• Like 10

3 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

Think of it like this. Our snow climo has always been and always will be streaky. We will forever sit in multi year periods of depression. It's just how it is. Every decade since the 60s has horrendous periods and compact crazy periods. Half of the compact crazy periods are completely unexpected. 2013-16 stretch was the compact period for the 20teens. 2016 was expected but 2013-15 was an anomaly in a good way. Incredible really. And it will happen again.

I have no 8dea what 2020s hold in store for us but we're literally 2 good storms away from this winter being forever remembered as one of the good ones. It's already out of the dud gang. And nothing good was waiting for us thru the entire summer, fall, and Dec. But that's changed... A LOT. All I'm saying is if you look at this particular Jan as a frustrating disappointment you're either a glutton for punishment or aren't playing the game right. When a 1 in 10 or 20 year winter is the only way to be rewarded with this hobby, the roi is so bad it makes no sense 

2 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

If I get about what I expect today (1-3"), this month will potentially be the 3rd snowiest month I've had IMBY since 2009-2010!  Only topped by January 2016 (duh) and February 2014.  Could this month have been greater?  Probably.  Is it a disappointment?  RUcrazy??

Ya know, I think what other people get, and having to hear about it through various things (TV, phone notifications, etc) bothers me much more than if the whole thing had whiffed everybody. I swear everytime I see it I wanna throw something, seriously. So a month where I get 10-12" can be dampened if 3 storms that include a blizzard just missed while I sit down here with consolation flakes. That is where the ROI is terrible...yet I feel like I have no choice because I need it to snow and, even more so, need to not see storms just miss...for such impacts mental health either way. Nothing worse than the emotional hangover from misses like this one.

I know there will always be places that get more in any given season...but when you're sitting in your own 6-year "bigger one"  drought, it sucks to keep watching the big ones miss. 

But I hear ya both though...finding ways to be grateful for what we DO get. As someone said, if we didn't know what was going on elsewhere, we'd be happy with a 10-12" January, lol

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Ya know, I think what other people get, and having to hear about it through various things (TV, phone notifications, etc) bothers me much more than if the whole thing had whiffed everybody. I swear everytime I see it I wanna throw something, seriously. 

Definitely work on this. We all have some of it in us. However, it's paradox of sorts. No matter where you are in life, someone is always richer, more powerful, better educated, better looking, more snowier, and on an on. Life really is only as complicated as you make it. I joke around that every yard is dead to me except mine. It's actually quite true from how I process this stuff. There isn't a single thing to be gained by envy/jealousy related to things you have zero control over. It's a mental prison. The quicker you can shake it the better. These thought loops come up all over the place in every aspect of life. It can effect decision making at an important time if you let it own you. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3

39 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Ya know, I think what other people get, and having to hear about it through various things (TV, phone notifications, etc) bothers me much more than if the whole thing had whiffed everybody. I swear everytime I see it I wanna throw something, seriously. So a month where I get 10-12" can be dampened if 3 storms that include a blizzard just missed while I sit down here with consolation flakes. That is where the ROI is terrible...yet I feel like I have no choice because I need it to snow and, even more so, need to not see storms just miss...for such impacts mental health either way. Nothing worse than the emotional hangover from misses like this one.

I know there will always be places that get more in any given season...but when you're sitting in your own 6-year "bigger one"  drought, it sucks to keep watching the big ones miss. 

But I hear ya both though...finding ways to be grateful for what we DO get. As someone said, if we didn't know what was going on elsewhere, we'd be happy with a 10-12" January, lol

I can relate to this so much, but definitely have been able to be better at dealing with it! I do still struggle when people to the east and especially to the south get more snow than me, but, honestly, snow lovers in these places have to be excited, and climo says that we will do better over time than these locations. I think of the snow weenies that will become meteorologists from snows like this one, and I remember being one myself. The advent of the Internet and technology has really made it fun to share in these events and be excited. I find it funny when I watch people live in the storm for a bit and then go outside and think I should be seeing the same thing out my door! Additionally, we have had some amazing storms that others have envied as well! For me Blizzard of 1996, PD2, 2010 triple winners, and then the Blizzard of 2016. I considered each a once in a lifetime experience, only to have another one! We will get another one! It takes time and luck and this was not our time, but it is for others! Be happy for them! That is what I try and do. The most excruciating events are the ones that seem forecasted with almost certainty that suddenly become nothing or small here. I literally have some depression moments! I have the same as soon as a big storm ends! But the rarity makes them all great! Solid snows in the Mid-Atlantic are rare enough to make each one super special! Jut remember, snow here is something that takes luck! Sometimes the cards are in our favor and we have a better chance to be lucky. Most the time, though, the harder it is to draw the right cards, the more likely we are to fail. Sometime, Blackjack just takes 2 cards.. but often, in our area, it takes 5! And the more it takes, the more the opportunity for a miss! Anyways, hang in there! Also, consider driving to a location that will get pummeled sometime! It can be fun! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, DDweatherman said:

I know I stink. We wish you were having beers with us today to commemorate the flizzard. Go check out our pic 

I saw it. If I didn’t know y’all were into weather, you all almost look like normal, sane people.  Maybe i would have made it, but then I’d have to go to Baltimore.  On purpose. :yikes:

• Haha 6

59 minutes ago, SnowenOutThere said:

Some people were mentioning how we might see some lows riding a front next week instead of nothing or just a big overrunning event. I think that the latest GFS looks a little closer to the lows riding the front scenario. 

There was almost 2 separate waves next week with the cutter that isn't so much of a cutter anymore. 

If we can get more separation there's a chance we could get some snow on the tail end of that.

Also there was definitely a few waves riding south of us after that.  

Should be an interesting few weeks.

I know everyone loves the blues on the ops but the ensembles have been honking for a while now in this time period.

• Like 2

The owner of Eastern Weather board, the predecessor to this one. 

You inspired me to search back even further to mIRC and #neweather from the mid 1990s. What ever happened to Gary Gray? Remember him?

Here’s some nostalgia. I can’t find anything earlier than this. https://groups.google.com/g/ne.config/c/vliX4IYeVmQ/m/iLjPoXTF12UJ

I remember being on mIRC for the blizzard of 96 and watching the posts float by in real time as I first learned the definition of QPF. I remember him saying “2.8 inches QPF I see it but I can’t believe it” within 12 hours of that storm commencing. We got 27”.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AdamHLG said:

You inspired me to search back even further to mIRC and #neweather from the mid 1990s. What ever happened to Gary Gray? Remember him?

Here’s some nostalgia. I can’t find anything earlier than this. https://groups.google.com/g/ne.config/c/vliX4IYeVmQ/m/iLjPoXTF12UJ

I remember being on mIRC for the blizzard of 96 and watching the posts float by in real time as I first learned the definition of QPF. I remember him saying “2.8 inches QPF I see it but I can’t believe it” within 12 hours of that storm commencing. We got 27”.

I talk to Gary on FB from time to time. He’s moved to Thailand. 

• Like 5

WB 18Z GFS says be content for the next couple of weeks….I remain in the east coast snow hole but still have about 11 inches and have appreciated the sustained cold of January.  Kind of reminds me of the 70s when the Greenbelt Lake just outside the DC Beltway still used to freeze most winters where I grew up.

C9FAE1EB-6F2F-40E5-9C8A-5AB1756699A9.png

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Weather Will said:

WB 18Z GFS says be content for the next couple of weeks….I remain in the east coast snow hole but still have about 11 inches and have appreciated the sustained cold of January.  Kind of reminds me of the 70s when the Greenbelt lake inside the DC Beltway still used to freeze most winters where I grew up.

C9FAE1EB-6F2F-40E5-9C8A-5AB1756699A9.png

That will change in 6 hours.  Sit tight. 

• Haha 3

• WxUSAF unpinned and locked this topic