Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Late January and February Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

17 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

So, yeah, cutter is still there..we already knew that...sort of a different look at h5, not radically.  Cold front pushes through our area.  Serious cold behind it..but we already knew this part

We want the cutter further west.  Recent runs are further east which pushed the boundary too Far East behind it and doesn’t leave enough wave spacing. Both options still alive. Also the option for any waves after. 

• Like 1

One other option I wanted to point out. The end of next week the trough has been trending more strung out. If that continues there could be a threat that what was going to be the cutter becomes multiple weaker waves as the front presses and it’s not an impossible adjustment for that to become a threat if that trend continues. 

3 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

One other option I wanted to point out. The end of next week the trough has been trending more strung out. If that continues there could be a threat that what was going to be the cutter becomes multiple weaker waves as the front presses and it’s not an impossible adjustment for that to become a threat if that trend continues. 

I thought the ICON started to show something like that at the end of it's run.

1 hour ago, Maestrobjwa said:

One thing I have considered about the last 6 years: 4 of the 6 have been ninas, if I'm not mistaken. (2016-17 & 2017-18 were ninas, right?) Now maybe that's just a random fluke that would explain our recent struggles. Now the 2018-19 weak Nino that wasn't...I'm not sure we can count that. It was so weak that it never "coupled" per se. I am kinda keyed to see if next year is a legit Niño. But like you said, if that won't do it I don't know what will!

Think of it like this. Our snow climo has always been and always will be streaky. We will forever sit in multi year periods of depression. It's just how it is. Every decade since the 60s has horrendous periods and compact crazy periods. Half of the compact crazy periods are completely unexpected. 2013-16 stretch was the compact period for the 20teens. 2016 was expected but 2013-15 was an anomaly in a good way. Incredible really. And it will happen again.

I have no 8dea what 2020s hold in store for us but we're literally 2 good storms away from this winter being forever remembered as one of the good ones. It's already out of the dud gang. And nothing good was waiting for us thru the entire summer, fall, and Dec. But that's changed... A LOT. All I'm saying is if you look at this particular Jan as a frustrating disappointment you're either a glutton for punishment or aren't playing the game right. When a 1 in 10 or 20 year winter is the only way to be rewarded with this hobby, the roi is so bad it makes no sense 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Think of it like this. Our snow climo has always been and always will be streaky. We will forever sit in multi year periods of depression. It's just how it is. Every decade since the 60s has horrendous periods and compact crazy periods. Half of the compact crazy periods are completely unexpected. 2013-16 stretch was the compact period for the 20teens. 2016 was expected but 2013-15 was an anomaly in a good way. Incredible really. And it will happen again.

I have no 8dea what 2020s hold in store for us but we're literally 2 good storms away from this winter being forever remembered as one of the good ones. It's already out of the dud gang. And nothing good was waiting for us thru the entire summer, fall, and Dec. But that's changed... A LOT. All I'm saying is if you look at this particular Jan as a frustrating disappointment you're either a glutton for punishment or aren't playing the game right. When a 1 in 10 or 20 year winter is the only way to be rewarded with this hobby, the roi is so bad it makes no sense 

If I get about what I expect today (1-3"), this month will potentially be the 3rd snowiest month I've had IMBY since 2009-2010!  Only topped by January 2016 (duh) and February 2014.  Could this month have been greater?  Probably.  Is it a disappointment?  RUcrazy??

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

If I get about what I expect today (1-3"), this month will potentially be the 3rd snowiest month I've had IMBY since 2009-2010!  Only topped by January 2016 (duh) and February 2014.  Could this month have been greater?  Probably.  Is it a disappointment?  RUcrazy??

Oh I think it's definitely a disappointment on what it could have been. We've had far too many winters lately where we just miss this and that storm. I get that always happens to some degree and maybe we are paying for that 2009-2016 stretch, but man 2017-2022 has been awful.

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

14 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

This is a VERY in your backyard query - this is NOT the case north of Baltimore. At. All. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

This is a VERY in your backyard query - this is NOT the case north of Baltimore. At. All. 

And what have the last few years been like in the Monkton area? You've well made known your disappointment in your snowfall for this year for YBY, but unless we get a decent region-wide event, it's generally north and west that will do better than the rest of us (I mean...take last year for example!).

What I'm saying is that just because this year has been quite a good January for some of us doesn't mean that other places with a crap year so far didn't have far better years recently.

6 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

Oh I think it's definitely a disappointment on what it could have been. We've had far too many winters lately where we just miss this and that storm. I get that always happens to some degree and maybe we are paying for that 2009-2016 stretch, but man 2017-2022 has been awful.

Yeah, last year for example was an average winter that had the chance to be a blockbuster as well. 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

8 minutes ago, mattie g said:

And what have the last few years been like in the Monkton area? You've well made known your disappointment in your snowfall for this year for YBY, but unless we get a decent region-wide event, it's generally north and west that will do better than the rest of us (I mean...take last year for example!).

What I'm saying is that just because this year has been quite a good January for some of us doesn't mean that other places with a crap year so far didn't have far better years recently.

Don't know about past the past few years in Monkton. Just moved here in December in part because of snow chances. Probably great in past years but this year...well...I suck at snow. I was in Baltimore for the sadness of missing every big storm since 1/2016 before that. It has NOT been a particularly good year up here so far. We got around .2 on 1/3 when everyone else was cashing in. The cutoff was brutal. Saying "it has been an amazing January" is a backyard game. Not true for all. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

1 hour ago, Maestrobjwa said:

I thought the ICON started to show something like that at the end of it's run.

Yeah saw a hint of that on the GFS when I looked more closely.  It definitely appears as several waves traveling up the Arctic front as PSU pointed out.  Might be interesting to keep an eye on.

Think of how this system evolves.  But this time, there's a southern vort...northern vort has a tail but it's about go feed right into the southern vort that is out in front.  Cold af.  Freezing down to jacksonville.   Nobody get your hopes up...i can't tell one way or the other wtf is going to happen

• Like 2

• WxUSAF unpinned and locked this topic