Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Late January and February Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

51 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I'm a really good room reader. I can literally feel your anguish as you prod thru iterations of the same general question in hopes of someone saying it's definitely going to dump in a week and not to worry 

We discuss generalities here really well. Complete piece by piece longwave analysis any time something looks like more than a shutout. You constantly try to drill one level deeper into specifics at times when generalities are still pretty muddy. Real frustration and unhappiness comes thru strong on your posts. Can be hard to read sometimes honestly. I'm saying this because I feel bad for you at times. Not because I'm a big meanie who wants to call everyone out.

Now hang on...this part here simply isn't true. I'm not looking for bs on here--just a better idea of what might happen, what we need to see for a better chance, and what went wrong in a particular scenario depicted on a model run. Not looking for anybody to sugar-coat anything. I have no idea of "iteration of the same general question" Like...when? I can understand last year--and I've tried to keep that in mind: don't ask hyper specifics. But this year? This past storm I did nothing but ask "What needs to happen here"? Not whether it absolutely will. I look for positive trends just like everybody else. Like who here doesn't? Lol So forgive me if I don't know the rules

And dang it of course everybody would LIKE to know what's going to happen, even though we know weather is gonna weather. There's much I still don't understand and I'm trying to learn how stuff works. But yet where do ya learn...ain't no other forum that talks about any of this, and it ain't like there's a bunch of online lectures (if it is tell me).

Now as for the other...yes I do get miserable when things don't turn out well--absolutely. But you cannot tell me I'm the only one here that does...are you kidding?

1 hour ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Listen I'm learnin', alright? Ya kinda called me out on that last year and I heard ya...just taking a bit and I'm learning with some experience I'm slowly embracing the chaos of all this It's just my nature to wanna know what gives the best CHANCE of something happening, what helps and what can get in the way...what might go right, what may go wrong...why something is happening. I'm a big WHY person.

So if we can't expect anything...what good are LR discussions, then? Good patterns can mean nothing, bad patterns can mean nothing...so what's the point?

think in terms of probabilities.  the point bob is trying to get through to you is that much like in sports, there is no formula to predict 100% what the outcome will be, but a lot of people still watch sports.  if your team is in the hunt for the playoffs (ns and ss potential phase), you'll want to track them more so than if they're 10 games under 500 (clipper-driven miller B), but if you love your team and/or the sport enough you'll track them no matter what (weather junkies).

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, 87storms said:

think in terms of probabilities.  the point bob is trying to get through to you is that much like in sports, there is no formula to predict 100% what the outcome will be, but a lot of people still watch sports.  if your team is in the hunt for the playoffs (ns and ss potential phase), you'll want to track them more so than if they're 10 games under 500 (clipper-driven miller B), but if you love your team and/or the sport enough you'll track then no matter what (weather junkies).

I'm not looking for 100% probabilities, though...I think ya got that part wrong. I watch model runs like sports: A good model run is like when your team scores a touchdown. A bad one is like when your team throws a pick-6 or something. I feel good or bad about a run accordingly. 

And just like you try to discuss and figure out how your team can make a comeback, why is it any different, then...to do the same with model runs?

2 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

I'm not looking for 100% probabilities, though...I think ya got that part wrong. I watch model runs like sports: A good model run is like when your team scores a touchdown. A bad one is like when your team throws a pick-6 or something. I feel good or bad about a run accordingly. 

And just like you try to discuss and figure out how your team can make a comeback, why is it any different, then...to do the same with modem runs?

i think that's actually a fair analogy and a good one.  however, there's a difference between saying (or assuming) a game is over after a pick 6 when there's still enough time and understanding that there may still be enough time.  it's the difference between getting too high or low on something you can't control.

• Like 1

I honestly don't know what questions to ask and not ask anymore (or if there's a limit). But I'm starting not to care aboru whatever the rule is...if I wanna know what happened on a particular model run, dang it I'm askin'! Like when @WinterWxLuvrhighlighted the vorts the other day? Very helpful! At least I know WHY the storm went the way it did, and how that vort was getting in the way. Was I angry at that vort (or the "tail" per se)? Absolutely! But at least I Iearned something about WHY the modeled solution was happening. Now tell me...was it wrong to ask that question? Too specific? Is it wrong to wanna know what's muckin' it up, and what might make a solution better/give us a better chance? All of the discussion this week helped me reach the conclusion that this was a long shot and I kinda tuned it out by lime Wednesday. But NOW...I know that any setup like this without some good blocking, and in a progressive pattern, is a long shot that probably won't happen outside a big fluke.

And now I also am learning why more of a gradient pattern has somewhat better (but not guaranteed) chance of working in a pattern like this. None would I learn without asking.

• Weenie 1

15 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Thats about as weenie of a run as you can ask for from the GFS. And it's not really a complicated setup. Get the boundary set and run waves up it for the next couple of weeks. Bring it. 

Can we get the Euro speed with the boundary and then the gfs train of waves? This is the question that will occupy those in the region for the next couple of days.

• Like 5

Going to see my man tonight.  Well he's been dead for almost 200 years, so if I actually see him, I'm running the f*ck out of the Kennedy Center.   I'll be back for the 0z fun and games if anybody cares.  Lucky it ain't my other dude's work, Mahler...I wouldn't be back until 6z. (Music nerd joke, sorry)

• Like 10
  • Haha 3

Just now, stormtracker said:

Going to see my man tonight.  Well he's been dead for almost 200 years, so if I actually see him, I'm running the f*ck out of the Kennedy Center.   I'll be back for the 0z fun and games if anybody cares.  Lucky it ain't my other dude's work, Mahler...I wouldn't be back until 6z. (Music nerd joke, sorry)

Have fun brother!!! Rock out to those Eroica chords!! Woo!!

• Thanks 1

• WxUSAF unpinned and locked this topic