Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
0Z model discussion

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

66 hours out...2.5 days...one more small shift west and we are in the snow. this is where i thought the GFS would be tonight actuallly with the EURO still showing the HECS:(

Hey Ji remember the Euros mysterious hiccup run at 72 hours for the last storm? Maybe today was the Euros hiccup run for this storm...lol.

The question, is this a trend or just a hiccup?

the problem is now we're in the deadly range for the euro so even though it fooled us it's probably the leader of the pack with its current solution. if the southern s/w is really that slow the gfs could be on to something. i would think in this timeframe the 0z euro or other globals would pick up the same thing. we can't seesaw thru 12 hrs out can we? ;)

What I don't understand, well, one of many, is how the 500 and 700 maps can improve so much, and yet see no improvement in the surface track. Maybe I'm seeing improvement that really isn't that great.

Look at 300mb, just a tad earlier phase and negative tilt and big cities COULD be in business

Between the 00Z GFS and NAM, from a quick look at 500h, it's not an initialization problem, they look similar through 30 hours, but after that, they handle the northern stream energy differently. NAM sort of dissolves an important piece of it coming down the back side of the trough, the GFS pushes it all through to dig and cut the thing off.

Keep in mind according to HPC ..one of the biases of the UK is to suppressed beyond 72

The UK has been overly suppressed all year, I've posted this alot...as the Nina may be negating the GEM's west/warm bias which is causing it to perform very well the Nina is playing into the UKMET's bias and thus probably why its been too suppressed on most recent storms.

Archived