0Z model discussion

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest someguy

the Low track s and e of hatteras and well s of 40/70

NO snow at all over NYC Long Island BOS or even cape cod at 72 hrs Low is 988

Wow....

You didn't catch the sarcasm but are the only one that caught the reference which was kind of the point....very few remember the finer details of 1/25/00.

http://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/mmb/research/blizz2000/wvloop.gif

Not similar in all in the evolution of how it played out in the models, in the discussion leading up to the event or the expectations. At no time was this storm "gone" like it essentially was from the models for a time leading up. The finer details of how that whole event played out change with time and are becoming a thing of urban legends.

Sorry, back to the 0z EC.

You're right. 10 years ago and my memory is foggy. I used to get up at 4:30 back then so there is no way I was awake for the late news. It must have been the 6pm forecasts vs the 9-10pm radar I was watching. Regardless, it was one heck of a surprise.

It was not until the 00z data came in where the models finally projected a huge storm. It is true that the midday and possibly even evening news projected light snow in DC maybe an inch or two when alot of people woke up to a near half foot.

Alot of things went wrong:

First, model initialization was awful. They did not do well with upper air conditions as someone stated, let alone did not even position the surface low in the right spot.

Second, because of that, the precip was severely underdone and significant convection took place over the south with resulted in extra latent heat release which in turn I believe helped aid in a stronger system and more inland track.

Finally, models did not pick up on the rapid cyclogenesis occurring over the SE states, which upon future research was being hinted at by the models, and spit out a much too weak system that tracked way too far to the east.

I realize it is a different set up this time, however you could make the comparison that a slower solution this time would allow more time to strengthen the low and cause a more inland track as the system closes off, which is very similar to the Jan 2000 Suprise storm... up until 00z Jan 24th I think the models spit out a solution similar to the current model forecasts for this storm. (NOT MAKING A DIRECT COMPARISON WITH THIS CURRENT STORM just saying)

Archived