Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
MLK 2022 Storm Potential

stormtracker

18 minutes ago, yoda said:

I think we get one of those "walls of snow" that comes in from the SW hot and heavy... then we see how long we can hold on before the pingers start.  If we can get the snow in here by let's say 19z... and get 4 to 6 hours of heavy snowfall... I would take that before we mix.  Also seems that the dry slot will be moving through our area too on most models... so hopefully by the time we get above freezing its just some light rain and the dry slot ends our precip so we can at least enjoy the snow and ice that is left lol

Exactly. While this storm has some unique and interesting features, it's still a very typical setup and outcome for the track. Prob 50% or more (stat guys can check) of all our measurable snowfalls are mixed around the cities and burbs. We do it often and at times we do it really well. If climo really takes over, not much above freezing rain is going to fall. I've been thinking that's how it's going to play out but models had too much spread to discuss. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Ji said:

Didn't see a reason why it changed so much. The upper levels weren't that much different

Synoptically it’s the same. It’s simply “seeing” the mid level warm layer now as we get closer. We knew this was a risk with that screaming SE flow.  Been talking about it for days. The Gfs just suddenly sees it. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Synoptically it’s the same. It’s simply “seeing” the mid level warm layer now as we get closer. We knew this was a risk with that screaming SE flow.  Been talking about it for days. The Gfs just suddenly sees it. 

I can't see how those totals stay even at these levels. The blower is going to be on 'HI' and destroy the column

1 minute ago, mappy said:

Not sure if its been mentioned, but something brought to my attention on twitter is the dry air ahead of the WAA and how quickly it erodes as precip moves in.

so... yay. 

Hopefully the rates materialize. These storms are the worst when you need big snow rates up front and it's virga and spotty showers for hours instead.

2 minutes ago, mappy said:

Not sure if its been mentioned, but something brought to my attention on twitter is the dry air ahead of the WAA and how quickly it erodes as precip moves in.

so... yay. 

Eh...I don't think that's as big a deal as it might seem.  That WAA is fierce.  The radar will probably get the DC snow hole look by like 15-16z on Sunday and it will start snowing on time around 18z.  

• Like 2

One small detail I've been wondering about seems to have appeared on the 0z Euro (at least).  The annoying/helpful/disastrous northern stream shortwave makes a pretty good pass for the metro areas late on Monday.  And it's strong obviously.  Euro spits out some light snow with it.  I think that's very plausible and could add C-1" later on Monday.  

• Like 7

Just now, WxUSAF said:

One small detail I've been wondering about seems to have appeared on the 0z Euro (at least).  The annoying/helpful/disastrous northern stream shortwave makes a pretty good pass for the metro areas late on Monday.  And it's strong obviously.  Euro spits out some light snow with it.  I think that's very plausible and could add C-1" later on Monday.  

Snatching victory from the jaws of defeat

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, mappy said:

so... yay. 

The placement of the high just doesn’t seem ideal. Surface winds look they’re out of the east by the time the precip arrives and the 850 layer looks potent out of the se. I’m assuming it’ll be a battleground for a few hours, though I guess a quicker arrival or slower departing high could help with that.

20 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Hopefully the rates materialize. These storms are the worst when you need big snow rates up front and it's virga and spotty showers for hours instead.

these storms are the worst as it is. sleet really is the devil, but then throwing in virga at the beginning. blah. 

20 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Eh...I don't think that's as big a deal as it might seem.  That WAA is fierce.  The radar will probably get the DC snow hole look by like 15-16z on Sunday and it will start snowing on time around 18z.  

thank you for talking me off my ledge. I have been cursed this year with virga

1 minute ago, mappy said:

these storms are the worst as it is. sleet really is the devil, but then throwing in virga at the beginning. blah. 

thank you for talking me off my ledge. I have been cursed this year with virga

Hopefully we will avoid most virga since this is a big storm blasting through here quickly. It's not a slider south of us where we are on the northern edge. Won't be much time for virga since the minute the precip starts we will be able to see the back edge on radar already. LOL

Just now, PhineasC said:

Hopefully we will avoid most virga since this is a big storm blasting through here quickly. It's not a slider south of us where we are on the northern edge. Won't be much time for virga since the minute the precip starts we will be able to see the back edge on radar already. LOL

I hope so. The thump will be good though however long it lasts, so theres that.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, nj2va said:

Yeah, this isn't a virga setup at all.  The WAA and those winds screaming from the SE at the 850 level will come in like a wall to get rid of any dry air in the column.  

That's why I think it comes in light for a few minutes... then it's hot and heavy until the switchover.  Rates will be over 1" per hour for however long we can snow IMO 

• Like 5

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic