Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Monitoring a potential important TV to East Coastal storm: Jan 17

Typhoon Tip

2 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Isn’t BUF much more likely than bermuda though? I know cherry picking defeats the purpose of the ens and at d4, any member is plausible to a certain degree/percentage. 

I don’t know if it’s more likely…it’s close enough for me not to be the arbiter of which one stays and which one goes. There’s definitely a western limit to this and BUF may be near that limit. There’s more room on the eastern side than on the western side…the skew won’t be a normal/Gaussian distribution. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Snowcrazed71 said:

I'm thinking my met in Connecticut is riding the GFS camp. His forecast right now for Monday is heavy snow turning into Heavy Rain with a couple of inches of snow... But he did say at the end that things could change as there are still 4/5 days until this storm. Not looking at the ensembles I guess

As he shouldn't be in this type of storm apparently. 

No reason to not follow the GFS op. It has led the way WRT the other models up until this point. They all follow the GFS. Kind of been like that for a while now anyway. 

If the op makes a major move east then I guess we would be back in the heavy snow game but for now, it's lights out for this "threat".

• Weenie 1

If nothing else it underscores the instability/ poor continuity ( perhaps "dubious continuity" as in, deceptive ) that really going on with this thing.

Trend is by also "discontinuous" ... so it can also be indicative of 'changeability' in future runs as a flat consideration.

I’m thinking based on a blend of the big 3, we see a low track over Long Island and then go inland a bit into se mass, like a March 2017 type track. In my area, that means heavy snow to mix to rain. It’s a bit disappointing that it’s not all snow, but it is what it is. This happens sometimes in la ninas, the risk is storms running too far inland leading to rainier solutions, but hey I’ll take that over not having a low at all or watching DC get 2 feet while we get nothing. I’m probably gonna get a sloppy foot, im a little bummed about it because of what could have been, but that’s better than nothing. The NNE guys though I think they will be very happy with this outcome, it would be a monster blizzard up there.

12 minutes ago, Snowcrazed71 said:

I'm thinking my met in Connecticut is riding the GFS camp. His forecast right now for Monday is heavy snow turning into Heavy Rain with a couple of inches of snow... But he did say at the end that things could change as there are still 4/5 days until this storm. Not looking at the ensembles I guess

Sounds like Bob Cox on WTIC. He's ridden the GFS for years, although he does qualify the variables more these days 

5 minutes ago, George001 said:

I’m thinking based on a blend of the big 3, we see a low track over Long Island and then go inland a bit into se mass, like a March 2017 type track. In my area, that means heavy snow to mix to rain. It’s a bit disappointing that it’s not all snow, but it is what it is. This happens sometimes in la ninas, the risk is storms running too far inland leading to rainier solutions, but hey I’ll take that over not having a low at all or watching DC get 2 feet while we get nothing. I’m probably gonna get a sloppy foot, im a little bummed about it because of what could have been, but that’s better than nothing. The NNE guys though I think they will be very happy with this outcome, it would be a monster blizzard up there.

DC is pretty far west relative to eastern MA. If the whole structure of this thing shifts east, it's still possible they get 2 feet and eastern SNE gets warm-sectored. That would be :lol::weep:  Very unlikely though.

8 minutes ago, George001 said:

My god with the ridiculous hyperbole. There is not going to be a "monster blizzard" anywhere in NE. Give it rest already. You must be like 13 y/o or something

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, George001 said:

I would not mind a hug track for my neck, a BM storm doesn't really hit me as good as SEMA and just NW, a 495 special, but a canal track I like for mby anyway, don't mind a bit of taint, I think it's going to be something similar though, at this range, has the s/w even come ashore yet?

3 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

Those off hour runs tend to be a lot wonkier. 18z GFS is usually more progressive so I'd like to see a continuation at 0z to see if there's any hope.

Good to see the GEFS trend east though.

Honestly, the 0z runs and their ensembles are what I’m looking to for some trend clarification. 

12 minutes ago, eduggs said:

I know. But we've known for a while that its snowfall algorithm is crap. I think it prints out snow if any level below 700mb is below freezing. Other vendors provide better, though still dubious, snowfall estimates.

So the 18z GEFS showed 95% rain for Sandy Hook NJ? It was a couple degrees above zero at the surface but under 0 at 925 and plenty cold above that.

5 minutes ago, BombsAway1288 said:

My god with the ridiculous hyperbole. There is not going to be a "monster blizzard" anywhere in NE. Give it rest already. You must be like 13 y/o or something

Well, in all fairness,  there could still be a monster snowstorm somewhere in New England out of this system, it just might not meet blizzard criteria.