Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 15-16 Winter Storm

Brick Tamland

15 minutes ago, Brick Tamland said:

Yeah, that's what we need, further south and east. 

Honestly I don't think the low being farther south before it gets east of the apps helps your are too much. Infact one could argue it would lead to an even worse outcome with the low pulling farther inland as it heads north through NC

I’m such a nerd with CADs. I find them fascinating, and this is a textbook example being modeled right now. It’s fun to watch the atmospheric physics in motion. 

As things are currently depicted, it’s a case study setup for a western and central ( some portions) NC, western SC, and even northeast GA CAD winter storm  

For those that are unhappy with the trends, let the timing or intensity of the Northeast high get out of whack….then you get wailing and gnashing of teeth as many wind up with a 42° driving rainstorm. 

• Like 14

23 minutes ago, weatherguysc said:

18z NAM 60-84 has the low almost in the Florida panhandle at 84

Want to emphasize that the big fat "L" doesn't tell the full story: see below. Despite the southerly position, there's still a low pressure area extending to Memphis. I make this point to basically say don't get too carried away by the Ls near the optimal positions.

namconus_mslpaNorm_eus_53.png

29 minutes ago, jburns said:

I know this is late but I’ve been out all day.  I don’t think you’re making the correct read on the graphic. It is not a “don’t let perfect get in the way of good” kind of graphic.  Quite the opposite. By using values like 22%, 27% etc. instead of just rounding them to the nearest 5 they have made it an “imitation of accuracy to 1% without corroborating data” kind of graphic.

By perfect getting in the way of good, I was talking about sticking this pre-made graphic on socials and on a show instead of handmaking a graphic which is time consuming. But I totally see your point now and I agree. It's been a while since I've used it but I think that the software WRAL uses has rounding options and I'm wondering why they don't use it- may be a consultant thing.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, franklin NCwx said:

Honestly I don't think the low being farther south before it gets east of the apps helps your are too much. Infact one could argue it would lead to an even worse outcome with the low pulling farther inland as it heads north through NC

It may not aid in terms of preventing or delaying a changeover, but I think it helps with the duration and intensity of the initial thump. Also helps places like Atlanta substantially

31 minutes ago, buckeyefan1 said:

1641988800-iLfEjU1df2s.png

Interesting. I feel this is our best shot for the winter. In case no one noticed the average high temp at PTI yesterday was 47.8º.  Today it is 47.9º.  That’s right, yesterday on average was the coldest day of the year. We need to get our snow now because the temps have started their long climb toward our 88.1º summer.

• Like 1

Just now, PantherJustin said:

You can move this to Banter if needed….. But yearly I ask this….
WNC = imo I-77 and West to TN (CLT -Winston)

Central NC = I-77 - I-95 (Salisbury-GSO- Triangle) 

Eastern NC = I-95- Coast (East lol) 

I see ppl “Good Run for WNC” ect just wanted a board Opinion

WInston-Salem is part of the Piedmont Triad (Greensboro-High Point-Winston Salem) and very much still central NC. Charlotte is not really WNC--its more of a south central NC.

When I think of Western NC I think Anything including Hickory to the west (Asheville) and mainly the mountains. No one here in Charlotte thinks we are in western NC.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, sarcean said:

WInston-Salem is part of the Piedmont Triad (Greensboro-High Point-Winston Salem) and very much still central NC. Charlotte is not really WNC--its more of a south central NC.

When I think of Western NC I think Anything including Hickory to the west (Asheville) and mainly the mountains. No one here in Charlotte thinks we are in western NC.

I am not sure there is a real correct answer.  Although the triad is considered central as a whole, places like Winston are very close to the mountains and obviously the furthermost western part of the triad.  You also cannot draw a vertical line, as I know when people on the board speak of western NC, they are not speaking of CLT, especially south CLT.  I do believe that when most people on here speak of western NC, they are including Winston and possibly even GSO.  Once you get past Guilford though, I very much consider that central.  

2 minutes ago, Wow said:

Big improvement with the gfs .. less amped with the primary low .  The hope is we can erase this trend over the past 24 hrs.

Where are we getting the transition miller-B Wow?  Looks over Wilmington now as opposed to much further north earlier

Just now, AsheCounty48 said:

Improvements on the GFS. looks like the energy transfer happens a bit sooner for the developing low, and everything appears to basically be shoved 50 miles ESE from 12z.

My thought too.  That LP was evolving just east of Raleigh at one point