• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 15-16 Winter Storm

Brick Tamland

Anyone having that gut feeling that Lucy already pulled the football and we just haven't lined up for the kick yet?  Trust your gut.  We've all seen this game before and there is no reason not to assume the same outcome here until we are proven wrong.  (this will also be my approach with the Bengals playoff game Saturday.....31 years of disappointment.....prove me wrong)
The writing is on the wall folks.  When you see that much WAA hammering into the SE portion of the state there's a valid reason it showed up.  And if history is a good indicator, that's a trend that usually ends up with 25% of the forecasted snow total across much of CNC immediately followed by an hour of sleet and the rest of the day filled with freezing drizzle.  And we haven't even started talking dry slot yet.  Prove me wrong.  
I'm a Browns fan so I feel your pain

But yeah, we still got time to adjust... We wait

Sent from my SM-S115DL using Tapatalk

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, kvegas-wx said:

Anyone having that gut feeling that Lucy already pulled the football and we just haven't lined up for the kick yet?  Trust your gut.  We've all seen this game before and there is no reason not to assume the same outcome here until we are proven wrong.  (this will also be my approach with the Bengals playoff game Saturday.....31 years of disappointment.....prove me wrong)

The writing is on the wall folks.  When you see that much WAA hammering into the SE portion of the state there's a valid reason it showed up.  And if history is a good indicator, that's a trend that usually ends up with 25% of the forecasted snow total across much of CNC immediately followed by an hour of sleet and the rest of the day filled with freezing drizzle.  And we haven't even started talking dry slot yet.  Prove me wrong.  :P

That would be brutal.  Would hate to see over 1" qpf turn into less than a quarter. 

TW

35 minutes ago, PackGrad05 said:

Wow.  If Wake County goes from a potential for snow to temperatures in the 50s/60s, there will be a lot of confidence lost in forecasting...  
That's the problem with so many models/graphics/etc... being publicly available online and shared so much.  Folks buy in to one model solution way too soon.

The problem is this wasn’t one run, this was what looked like a perfect setup for days. It’s completely changed in 48 hours. Not just type of storm (Miller A to Miller B ) or track (Carolina’s, to gulf coast, to Tennessee valley to split low) or timing (Saturday to now Sunday into Monday) or precip (light strung out solutions to amped wet solutions) or low pressure track due east to now cutting inland up the east coast. Essentially these are HUGE changes in 48 hours. Pattern recognition and storm fruition are two totally different beasts but outside 4 days I don’t think a single model had a solution even remotely close to what we’re seeing now. This may rain all the way to NYC and Boston whereas 2 days ago we weren’t even talking precip there way and it had snow in orangeburg. I get model runs change but these have been drastic 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NorthHillsWx said:

The problem is this wasn’t one run, this was what looked like a perfect setup for days. It’s completely changed in 48 hours. Not just type of storm (Miller A to Miller B ) or track (Carolina’s, to gulf coast, to Tennessee valley to split low) or timing (Saturday to now Sunday into Monday) or precip (light strung out solutions to amped wet solutions) or low pressure track due east to now cutting inland up the east coast. Essentially these are HUGE changes in 48 hours. Pattern recognition and storm fruition are two totally different beasts but outside 4 days I don’t think a single model had a solution even remotely close to what we’re seeing now. This may rain all the way to NYC and Boston whereas 2 days ago we weren’t even talking precip there way and it had snow in orangeburg. I get model runs change but these have been drastic 

It didn't even take 48 hours. Everything looked great Monday night with the 11:00 GFS run. It didn't really start changing until yesterday afternoon. It took about 12 hours for it to start going downhill after that GFS run Monday night. 

• Weenie 1

Here is what I see for SC *as it stands* (subject to change):

I-95 to the coast: rain
I-20/I-77 to I-95: IP/ZR with snow mixed in, turning all rain
I-85 to I-20/I-77: Ice Storm Alley
North of I-85: Snow

Sent from my SM-S115DL using Tapatalk

I wish someone would turn the temperature down on I-95. It is a reliable snow-melter in NE SC.
  • Like 1

CMC def not going to make people happy... High pressure is 4mb's deeper however. Only thing that bothers me about the high pressure is that its a little weakling, sitting at 1020mb forecasted to get into the low 1040's in some instances. Going to take a lot for it to get there imo.

12Z

gem_z500_vort_us_17.png

6Z

gem_z500_vort_us_19.png

2 minutes ago, BornAgain13 said:

Yep CMC is a sleet fest. Even for the mountains

Its just pumping the heights up way too much. Canadian can sometimes over amp things so there's that as well. Usually its thermals are about as good as the NAM's (Canadian can sometimes run a little too cold however). Moral of the story is confidence has increased significantly imo for a major winter storm for I-40 north and the cad areas of WNC.