• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
East coast storm targets our subforum Noon Sunday-3PM Monday 1/16-17/22 with significant impact potential for heavy snow/heavy rain, a period of gusts 45-60 MPH along the coast with possible coastal flooding Monday morning high tide.

wdrag

2 minutes ago, EasternLI said:

This is a little bit better than 12z.

gefs_mslp_lows_eastcoastus_108.thumb.png.0b01f5de3c12a5c7f89d8e52b097c75a.png

gefs_mslp_lows_eastcoastus_114.thumb.png.78a92e690bda49016f739f0818262801.png

I wonder if those weak lows well out in the Atlantic missed the phase with the northern stream.  There's about 10 members that look like it would have minimal to no impact to our area.  I think that's the piece going forward we have to look for when where and if the northern stream phases in

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, binbisso said:

I wonder if those weak lows well out in the Atlantic missed the phase with the northern stream.  There's about 10 members that look like it would have minimal to no impact to our area.  I think that's the piece going forward we have to look for when where and if the northern stream phases in

Hard to say without dissecting every one of them. I'm not getting into all of that lol. Could be. 

• Like 1

That 18z GFS run has very fast occlusion over central NJ which could mean a wild ride for NYC - I wonder if eventually this will turn into a very dynamic system with a deeper center than currently advertised, and still thinking it could be double centered, with features of a wintry nature that might mirror some of those late summer rainstorm features of locally intense bands oriented NW-SE near the Hudson valley. Potential for some very high snowfall totals in parts of PA and NY state, right now it seems like NYC could see a bit of everything but even so, a strong gradient of snow totals across the northern portions of the metro region. For a location like JFK, perhaps 5-8 inches snow, followed by sleet, brief rain back to sleet and then blowing snow as wrap around hits, another inch or two with that. Temps 25-28 during the initial snow, 30-33 mid-storm, spike to 42 then back down into low 30s. But I suspect this may evolve into more of a classic coastal as the GFS backtracks further. Maybe ICON had the best solution after all. Would not be surprised to see this into the 970s by event time.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1

54 minutes ago, Tatamy said:

18z GEFS mean

image.png.ca0230af495de158e22bfbcd0c7d0e60.png

52 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

received_1062917537895704.jpeg

Difference in maps is the resolution? Algorithm? Does the bottom one show sleet as snow? Bottom seems to have been smoothed out and shows Central Jersey for example as 10-12 and top one shows it as 4-6. Pretty big difference in map totals....

3 minutes ago, North and West said:

Anyone else (who’s old enough) getting March 1993 vibes?

Not saying that it’s anywhere near that magnitude, but the inland track and major storm signal.

I am and this is brings to mind the fact that most of the "greats" were well-modeled several days out.  Not saying we're doomed on this one as shoving this thing east just enough to give us a big snow is well with the envelope of a well-modeled storm 5 days out.

• Rjay unpinned this topic