Newest Member
    joxey
January 3 CAPE Storm

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I need this snow for various reason but I know better to think it will happen. North trends just mean more chance for sleet for me and the usuals will cash in just because they always do. Seen this before about a billion times. 

Congrats Winchester and points NW yet again

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Weenie 2

2 minutes ago, H2O said:

I need this snow for various reason but I know better to think it will happen. North trends just mean more chance for sleet for me and the usuals will cash in just because they always do. Seen this before about a billion times. 

There's not a lot of time for the system to come much farther north. We're within 48 hours! Losing it south is the biggest concern.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

Look you know me.  I’m on team bitter Enders…we go all the way to the bitter end.  I’m not being a dick here, but how can you have faith in the GFS, being the only one showing it?  

I’m just watching the trends, not the actual result. I’ll admit I’m a little more optimistic today.

2 minutes ago, BTRWx's Thanks Giving said:

There's not a lot of time for the system to come much farther north. We're within 48 hours! Losing it south is the biggest concern.

There’s plenty of time because it won’t take much in the way of changes. They only need be minor.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, H2O said:

The best comes with surprise!  Jan 25, 2000 seems like yesterday for us but I remember how that storm came like a thief in the night and it did not disappoint!

Back then I was working downtown, graveyard shift.  I just got a TV card installed in my wife's PC (yeah I'm a computer nerd!) and was adding the cable channels.  It was way past my nap time, close to 10PM or so and I remember stopping on TWC to see the radar at the 8s as they called it.  Was curious about the returns offshore and how they were moving west.  Watched forecasts, no advisories and latest was chance of a few flurries or so.

Expecting a quiet night at the office, I remember dozing off in my chair after lunch break (3AM) and hearing a flurry of activity on the two ways (sorry, could not resist the pun!).  Stuff for custodians scrambling for snow removal duties and getting mechanics (who I was in charge of) getting the plows ready.  I walked over to a window and heard pingers or so I thought!  HEAVY flakes, around the low pressure sodium dock lights looked like a lethal swarm of Africanized honeybees attacking the sun from what I remember.  Drives and walks completely caved and white including the drainage grates!  Whew! I headed to the stairwell, got to the roof, threw open the door and was greeted by a facefull of stinging dendrites that felt like the equivalent of a 20 pound sack of Uncle Ben's rice that was teleported from Neptune hurled at my face!  The winds were swirling the stuff around on the planks and I just knew this meant trouble!

Back to the computer on my desk, checked out the usual stuff and found we were in a winter storm warning for 10 inches or more accumulation.  My how things change.

That was a fun storm, trip home not so fun without four wheel drive as Orleans St. was completely untreated and by that time there was a good 7" on the roads.

Anyone else have 01/25/2000 memories?

• Like 9

10 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

There’s plenty of time because it won’t take much in the way of changes. They only need be minor.

Good calls today... I honestly wrote this one off for up this way.  With the qpf output from the GFS it looks like I will stay up for the 0z runs.  Expectations have been elevated to just above ground level!  Just need this thing to continue to amp up....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CAPE said:

The 18z Euro will shift the precip a bit further SE, with snow tv for my yard and an inch or 2 for the DE/MD beaches. Just a guess, or call it intuition. 

18z euro will shift NW enough to get .5” into DC, and keep us all on the hook before it and all others fold to NAM by 06z tomorrow. (Reverse logic!)

• Haha 4

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic