Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January Banter 2022

George BM

9 minutes ago, Ji said:

i actually dont use amps. I use amp modelers that give me a choice of the chimiest clean amp to a driven van halen type amp! Check out the Fractal products. Many big names bands are using them. https://www.fractalaudio.com/fm3/

Modelers are sick but I don't like them. I spend to much time f'ing with tones and not enough playing. It's just the way my mind works. I just want to hit a button and plug in. I mean sure, I can just set a modeler one way and leave it right? Sounds easy unless you were born with my brain...

3 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Kick ass my man! My son is turning 18 this year. He's focused on tech school instead of college. He's seriously considering training to be a high end car or EV mechanic. Right now we're looking at flipping cars together. You can make 2 grand on a 15 year old Toyota corolla if your willing spend a weekend picking one up down south or OH valley etc. 

Just my opinion, but it’s not that college is overrated, but there’s no doubt that tech and trade schools are WAY underrated. With all of my hobbies and penchant for tinkering, it’s the route I should have probably gone, though I love telling my students that college was the best 16 years of my life! It’s just so different now. Tough to get a degree these days without a mountain of debt. Sounds like your son is level-headed beyond his years, and a great opportunity for you to work alongside him.

Just now, nw baltimore wx said:

Just my opinion, but it’s not that college is overrated, but there’s no doubt that tech and trade schools are WAY underrated. With all of my hobbies and penchant for tinkering, it’s the route I should have probably gone, though I love telling my students that college was the best 16 years of my life! It’s just so different now. Tough to get a degree these days without a mountain of debt. Sounds like your son is level-headed beyond his years, and a great opportunity for you to work alongside him.

This. Tech careers are way underrated. And, can lead to very profitable careers.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

I used to strongly disagree with this but the world has changed for sure. Deep general knowledge is now pretty weak and focused skills are now strong AF.

With rapid tech advancement comes efficiency and with efficiency comes less tolerance for "investing in people with potential" and more focus on "how can you make my company money 30 seconds after you punch the clock for the first time". There is no doubt in my mind that my son could be a 6 figure car mechanic before 25 years old. Or 6 figure anything mechanical related really. I'm all for it. Tech school isn't cheap. 40k for 2 years of just school full time. But I now strongly believe the roi is better than UMD (I already put 2 thru UMD. Both are doing excellent but at 100k per kid... "profits" are a LONG way away"

• Like 2

Usually before a snow event I like popping in to say good luck, but this time there’s a lot more meaning. 

As I still try to process the loss of my dad, and be there for my family, and plan this final goodbye, it’s devastating. In all sincerity, it is doing me some real good to see so much happiness and excitement in this subforum in advance of what may be a significant snow event. Just a few days ago, nobody thought we’d be here looking at an event at all, let alone a big one.

I hope the snow brings everything us weenies hope for in a storm, and provides an opportunity to create joyful and enduring memories.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

58 minutes ago, 87storms said:

kinda surprised that poster even has an account.  that wasn't a spelling mistake yesterday and he's done it before.

DC douche has been doing that for years. Many years ago, when Wes was active, some troll came along during a high impact event  and posted that same thing trying to be "funny". Nobody laughed then and for whatever dumb reason, DC likes to keep repeating it. When nobody remotely remembers the original attempt anymore... 

I suppose the whole thing neatly packages just how bad of a poster that guy is. Not even original. Just a dumb regurgitator trying too hard 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Usually before a snow event I like popping in to say good luck, but this time there’s a lot more meaning. 

As I still try to process the loss of my dad, and be there for my family, and plan this final goodbye, it’s devastating. In all sincerity, it is doing me some real good to see so much happiness and excitement in this subforum in advance of what may be a significant snow event. Just a few days ago, nobody thought we’d be here looking at an event at all, let alone a big one.

I hope the snow brings everything us weenies hope for in a storm, and provides an opportunity to create joyful and enduring memories.

Hugs to you friend. Many of us here know exactly what you’re going through. I wish I could say it gets easier, it doesn’t. Your whole sense of self changes after experiencing a big loss as you have. And that’s okay. One day at a time, lean on your friends and family and let yourself grieve. Here for you if you ever need anything. :wub:

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Just now, mappy said:

Hugs to you friend. Many of us here know exactly what you’re going through. I wish I could say it gets easier, it doesn’t. You’re whole sense of self changes after experiencing a big loss as you have. And that’s okay. One day at a time, lean on your friends and family and let yourself grieve. Here for you if you ever need anything. :wub:

This^^ Wishing you well WxWeather007 and same, ever need anything give a shout.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, IronTy said:

Blade is on the Muck Truck and we're charging up. 

PXL_20220102_153047083_copy_1612x1209.jpg

Moved this hear so as to not clog up the main thread....

That's an interesting contraption you have there.  Is it 4 wheels or are there more axles?  Not familiar with a Muck Truck.  Guess it is for concrete?  And it's electric?   

Attached are a couple of pics of our snow removal arsenal.  Our driveway is 450 feet long.  Plow ours, many of our neighbors, about a 1/4 mile of street and 1 mile of sidewalk.  The Kubota has largely replaced the old Gravelys.  But the Gravelys still have their place.  

Nice garage btw.  How do you like the new NSX?  Buddy of mine had a couple of the Gen I NSX.  One had lot of mods and ran low 10's in the 1/4.  

Snow Removal Equipment.jpg

1962 and 69 Gravely Tractors.jpg

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I used to strongly disagree with this but the world has changed for sure. Deep general knowledge is now pretty weak and focused skills are now strong AF.

With rapid tech advancement comes efficiency and with efficiency comes less tolerance for "investing in people with potential" and more focus on "how can you make my company money 30 seconds after you punch the clock for the first time". There is no doubt in my mind that my son could be a 6 figure car mechanic before 25 years old. Or 6 figure anything mechanical related really. I'm all for it. Tech school isn't cheap. 40k for 2 years of just school full time. But I now strongly believe the roi is better than UMD (I already put 2 thru UMD. Both are doing excellent but at 100k per kid... "profits" are a LONG way away"

You hit on something that I didn’t say but also try to stress to students. Besides not being cheap, trade schools are tough. There’s a misconception that going to a trade school is “easier” than college and that’s not at all the case. It’s a focused curriculum and zero fluff. And as you said, it’s still going to cost you. Though if you’re lucky some companies are so short of workers that they are willing to help pay for equipment and/or classes. 

But I’m preaching to the choir. Lots of folks on this board know way more about this than me because they’ve experienced it. 

24 minutes ago, RDM said:

Moved this hear so as to not clog up the main thread....

That's an interesting contraption you have there.  Is it 4 wheels or are there more axles?  Not familiar with a Muck Truck.  Guess it is for concrete?  And it's electric?   

Attached are a couple of pics of our snow removal arsenal.  Our driveway is 450 feet long.  Plow ours, many of our neighbors, about a 1/4 mile of street and 1 mile of sidewalk.  The Kubota has largely replaced the old Gravelys.  But the Gravelys still have their place.  

Nice garage btw.  How do you like the new NSX?  Buddy of mine had a couple of the Gen I NSX.  One had lot of mods and ran low 10's in the 1/4.  

Snow Removal Equipment.jpg

1962 and 69 Gravely Tractors.jpg

Oh, those are some sweet looking Gravelys. 

(I suppose after 30 mins of blowing I would get over my nostalgia and retreat to the dry cab of the Kubota)

38 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Hey Buddy, dealing with this stuff is BRUTAL. There is only 1 thing that makes it become less difficult... and that's passing time. I went through losing my best friend to cancer in 2000 (only 32 years old), my father's demise in 2008-9 mother's in 2017-18 and just recently had to put our beloved dog to rest right after Thanksgiving. This doesn't include all the other people I've lost that weren't at the highest connection level. Death is as normal as life in nature but starkly different when you add in emotions. Thankfully time fixes everything. Even when it seems impossible...

Speaking from too much experience I can say losing my father hit me the hardest. That father son thing is priceless and incredible but good God does it hurt when it's over.... I'm sure you're already having your own thoughts of mortality. It's a scary place but temporary. Remember this, your father doesn't want you to be sad AT ALL. Quite the opposite. He wants you to thrive and pick up where he left off. You have a chance to honor him in a way only a son can. Stand strong and do what he wants you to do. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Huh...I'd go closer to 120 and a TD, but I wouldn't be surprised if they bottled him up like Adams, lol

No disrespect to Adams because he’s great, but he’s not Kupp. That dude is always open and if he’s not, it still doesn’t matter.

2 minutes ago, H2O said:

I can't believe its the year 2022 and we don't have the ability to have TVs with split screen to watch football and the Euro come in at the same time.  All this technology and its not being used to its fullest potential.

I can’t watch, Fox station is showing the Ravens game 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

I thought I had reached acceptance, but starting to get annoyed again that I’m very likely missing the best storm of the season. Oh well. More winter to come.

I happened to be out of town for December 2009. I was heartbroken but had quick redemption, have faith

you're very lucky to have the time, money, and health to be on a warm weather vacation. you don't know when or if you'll be able to do something like this again because life throws a lot of stuff at us. trust me--our trip next week is our first vacation in 9 years. it's silly to spend your time on vacation upset that it is snowing somewhere else.

That’s a very fair take and I should recognize my privilege but at the same time I imagine (not only imagine, know) others would also be equally bummed to miss what looks to be an upper-end moderate event. Fully recognize that your take is the correct and sensible one, though.

1 hour ago, GramaxRefugee said:

Oh, those are some sweet looking Gravelys. 

(I suppose after 30 mins of blowing I would get over my nostalgia and retreat to the dry cab of the Kubota)

Thank you....  Haha - spot on about retreating to the dry cab, that is heated too!  The Gravelys do their thing very well.  The Pow Pow Pow of the older Gravely with the blade prompts mothers to take their kids in off the street.  That ole low rpm engine uses the same piston, oil filter and starter as my 91 Silverado small block.  The Gravely with the blower has a 12hp Kohler - smooth as silk.  Will blow snow 60 feet.  

However, as you say, after about an hour of wrestling with either Gravely I'm ready to sit in the heated cab with some hot chocolate.  Built the cab myself.  Couldn't see spending $4500 for a commercial cab.  Sure hope we get something worthwhile tomorrow.  Otherwise, it's going to be like Lucy pulling the football away from Chuck...  again!  

• Like 1

• mappy unpinned this topic