• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Tracking Jan 7 coastal storm. Lingering compression/flow velocity has not lent to consensus, but it seems at 30 hours out.. finally?

Typhoon Tip

Holy Schitchel !

He/she used to be one of my favorite mid rangers down in NCEP .... 

"..Arctic air will dig across the central then eastern U.S. behind the windy and precipitation focusing low to include a threat of plowable snow from the Great Lakes/Ohio Valley to the Northeast. Another quickly developing heavy snow/ice threat with some aforementioned uncertainty is on tap underneath Thu into Fri from the TN/OH Valleys through the Appalachians/Mid-Atlantic to the Northeast by frontal low/coastal storm genesis..."

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I don't like the more assertive primary. 

It’s kind of weird that most OP runs don’t really have a primary up there but several ensemble members do. I’m not super worried about it at this point though. 

I can tell people are losing their minds when we’re analyzing the EPS individual members this much at 5 days out when it will probably look vastly different in a couple cycles. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

It’s kind of weird that most OP runs don’t really have a primary up there but several ensemble members do. I’m not super worried about it at this point though. 

I can tell people are losing their minds when we’re analyzing the EPS individual members this much at 5 days out when it will probably look vastly different in a couple cycles. 

Red flag that the GEFS totally lost it?

3 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

It’s prob a red flag in the sense that something super amped up the Hudson valley is pretty unlikely. EPS are pretty far west compared to other ensemble suites too. So while I’d weight the EPS the highest, I would still add a little bit of weight to the others. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

GEFS are a bit underdispersive, meaning the ensemble will tend to move as one too often. Ideally you would have a lot of different solutions and the ensemble spread would include the correct one. 

So if the op loses it, I'm not surprised when the GEFS does too.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

From what I can see, the EPS is the only model with quite a few members having a primary in the eastern lakes region, so wouldn't that tend to pull the mean to the west?

22 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

GEFS are a bit underdispersive, meaning the ensemble will tend to move as one too often. Ideally you would have a lot of different solutions and the ensemble spread would include the correct one. 

So if the op loses it, I'm not surprised when the GEFS does too.

Heh... I always thought that description best fit the EPS...  which it may - just sayn'

I've often found that if the operational run "looks" more(less) favorable, the EPS mean does too, in the relative scope.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Heh... I always thought that description best fit the EPS...  which it may - just sayn'

I've often found that if the operational run "looks" more(less) favorable, the EPS mean does too, in the relative scope.

They are underdispersive too, which is one of the reasons why they are upgrading to 100 members soon.

5 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Yup,  the eps has shifted to crap many times at this time frame and it didn’t take days to do . *None of the models have a ensemble suite that remotely accounts for future goal posts at 4-5 day’s out. *

so we just want to see multi model support and not lose that regardless of EPs 

12 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

They are underdispersive too, which is one of the reasons why they are upgrading to 100 members soon.

Ha hahaha... no schnikies -

I mean it'd take two shifts to analyze the whole set  - you think you'll population the dbs and make ur AFDs in time. 

• Typhoon Tip changed the title to Tracking Jan 7 coastal storm. Lingering compression/flow velocity has not lent to consensus, but it seems at 30 hours out.. finally?
  • dendrite unpinned this topic