Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
I’m dreaming of an Icy Christmas

Sey-Mour Snow

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

Gotta love SEA getting a solid burst of snow on south winds, and we’re hoping to stay below 32 with freezing rain on N winds. :lol:

It’s depressing to admit But waiting 8 months to root for snow when it’s so hard near the coast is like rooting for the jets . You just do it because there are no better options for you .

9 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

By “you” I really meant most in SNE  cp. I would Just say for the CP of SNE in general , annually . But in parties let SE mass and cape 

Well averaging near 50” though means it’s not hard to snow. The pattern stinks. Nothing has worked out locally. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Well averaging near 50” though means it’s not hard to snow. The pattern stinks. Nothing has worked out locally. 

ORH sitting below 5” for the season on 12/26 isn’t within the 1 SD envelope either. Cruddy pattern and a little bit of crap luck on top of it. Could’ve scored something a little bigger (even if advisory) in either early December or more recently after 12/17 but it hasn’t happened. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

ORH sitting below 5” for the season on 12/26 isn’t within the 1 SD envelope either. Cruddy pattern and a little bit of crap luck on top of it. Could’ve scored something a little bigger (even if advisory) in either early December or more recently after 12/17 but it hasn’t happened. 

Yep, what can you do. Hopefully it turns around after NY.

Just now, CoastalWx said:

Yep, what can you do. Hopefully it turns around after NY.

It’s a little bit frustrating because while the pattern has kind of been crappy, it’s been nothing like other years with similar results. This type of snowless start to the season happens roughly once per decade in ORH. Last instances going into New Years this low were 2015, 2006, and 1999. Those years were just CONUS-wide chinook torches that never had anyone expecting snow.

But this year has at least had some semblance of a few chances even if facing some headwinds. But still mostly skunked. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

It’s a little bit frustrating because while the pattern has kind of been crappy, it’s been nothing like other years with similar results. This type of snowless start to the season happens roughly once per decade in ORH. Last instances going into New Years this low were 2015, 2006, and 1999. Those years were just CONUS-wide chinook torches that never had anyone expecting snow.

But this year has at least had some semblance of a few chances even if facing some headwinds. But still mostly skunked. 

Tomorrow is a classic example. You’d think it would be a nice hit and then just gets annihilated to nothing. That sums it up right there. 

• Like 1

We put a new roof on the house this fall.  It's a composite plastic shake made by a company called DaVinci.  Similarly slippery as metal I guess.  Here is a picture of the roof.  This south side just let go. My weather cam is next to the door in the center.  I just made this video from it of the avalanche. 6 seconds into the video. Turn your volume down first.  If 3" of snow does this I can't wait until we get our first 1 footer.  The cats are still in hiding.  The pole is my Davis anamometer.  The weather station is out in the field not in view.

https://video.nest.com/clip/107c1b216d6b4f9595463752c48591f5.mp4

New Roof recropped.JPG

• Like 13

We put a new roof on the house this fall.  It's a composite plastic shake made by a company called DaVinci.  Similarly slippery as metal I guess.  Here is a picture of the roof.  This south side just let go. My weather cam is next to the door in the center.  I just made this video from it of the avalanche. 6 seconds into the video. Turn your volume down first.  If 3" of snow does this I can't wait until we get our first 1 footer.  The cats are still in hiding.  The pole is my Davis anamometer.  The weather station is out in the field not in view.
1576782688_NewRoofrecropped.thumb.JPG.7ed42117efd2edb87bca4485c0e8b24e.JPG
Can't get video to play

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, wxeyeNH said:

New Roof recropped.JPG

Hi Gene.  Definitely winter iyby!

2 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

New Roof recropped.JPG

Are those shingles much more than an asphalt roof?

3 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Lots of "chances" - we've had 18 days this month with frozen precip, 11 with measurable snow, for 12.3" total, a few inches BN.  Hard to get that modest total with all those chances.  Mixed events on the 6th, 11th, 16th and 22nd, each with ZR as the major component.  Only the snow on 12/18 was a hit.  Lots of messies plus numerous dying quail events, but at least the ground is white - 20 of 24 at this site.

1 hour ago, DavisStraight said:

Are those shingles much more than an asphalt roof?

Yeah,  they are.  Much more.  Since the house was built in 1795 it's considered historical and always had wood shakes.  So we went all out to try to match the beauty of those which I have had to replace twice sinc 1989.  These have a 50 year warranty so will way outlive me

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Yeah,  they are.  Much more.  Since the house was built in 1795 it's considered historical and always had wood shakes.  So we went all out to try to match the beauty of those which I have had to replace twice sinc 1989.  These have a 50 year warranty so will way outlive me

I looked into metal shingles but Im 60 and don't plan on being here in 5 years so went with a regular arch shingle with a 50 year warranty, even if we stayed the shingles will outlive us. Yours look really nice though, I like them.

31 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Getting some light snizzle right now. 29.3°

Those are solid snow banks in your pics. The advantage of having lots of mixed crap in the snow is that you really solidify the pack and it also makes the snow banks look huge. 

I’ve had snow/sleet events of 4 inches that have bigger snow banks and piles than a 10-12 inch fluff bomb. 

Now that you have the glacier, just need the powder events on top. 

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

Those are solid snow banks in your pics. The advantage of having lots of mixed crap in the snow is that you really solidify the pack and it also makes the snow banks look huge. 

I’ve had snow/sleet events of 4 inches that have bigger snow banks and piles than a 10-12 inch fluff bomb. 

Now that you have the glacier, just need the powder events on top. 

Yeah the depth is at 7" with 1.89" of w.e. going back to last weekend. So that's a solid 3.7:1 sleet ratio assuming all of that ZR froze into it.

• Like 1