• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
OBS-NOWCAST for Periods of mostly light snow 10PM today- 10AM Friday 12/24/21- first measurable NYC with 1-3" Catskills to CT

wdrag

Choose your model and since since the NAM through the 06z/23 cycle was dry in NYC, there is no guarantee this thread will be correct for NYC.  I'm putting my money on the 06z/23 EC, HRRR, RGEM and allowing for a chance of 0.2" measurable snowfall in NYC early Friday morning. Temps I think will be down to 32F in NYC in a period of snow in the 2-4AM time frame, and then a question if it sticks, will it still be on the snow board at 7AM-12z/24 OBS time.  

So, if the HRRR/RGEM/EC/GFS don't shift the southern edge north during today's cycles, I am expecting a dusting up to an inch I78 region northward inclusive of northern LI and NYC, while the jackpot, 1-3" if you will, should lie further north from the Catskills through CT.

Blame a warm frontal wave (passage of an area of pressure falls on the warm front to our south), ahead of the stronger low pressure heading for our area on Christmas.  

Ensembles are not enthusiastic for an inch of snow except well north of I84, so we need to keep than in mind as well. 

Adjusted the title at 609PM to add OBS and NOWCAST

• Like 1

• wdrag changed the title to OBS-NOWCAST for Periods of mostly light snow 10PM today- 10AM Friday 12/24/21- first measurable NYC with 1-3" Catskills to CT

26/18 here in Wantage and generally overcast with a very light north wind.  00z HRRR has this as a 1A-8A event for most of our area and now is colder with measurable snow to NYC/noethern Li. We shall know more in the morning. Seemingly no big deal most of the time, but this winter, if it measures NYC,  that will be a relatively big deal for 12/24 along with slippery conditions on all untreated surfaces along and north of I80. This may be my last post for much of the night. 

• Like 2