• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

As is a very nice gefs run. But I want to see the NS stop trending stronger on future runs. 
16DDA9FA-3FE7-467A-8B06-A508E8492816.thumb.png.8aa2b23e98d74493a881c12f8cdd238b.png

keep in mind there could be high ratios with this kind of setup. We don’t need that much qpf to get some decent snowfall totals. 
UK finally joined the party somewhat. 

I think we’ve seen a tightening on guidance. Some of the crazy north and south solutions are gone. From here on in imo it’s about the trade off between the lead NS SW and the trailing SW. Less suppressive NS and or more separation and a more amplified north solution. Less separation or a stronger NS SW and a weaker souther solution. 

2C243D84-27E1-4702-8C33-0C7D3C92139D.png

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

As is a very nice gefs run. But I want to see the NS stop trending stronger on future runs. 
16DDA9FA-3FE7-467A-8B06-A508E8492816.thumb.png.8aa2b23e98d74493a881c12f8cdd238b.png

keep in mind there could be high ratios with this kind of setup. We don’t need that much qpf to get some decent snowfall totals. 
UK finally joined the party somewhat. 

I think we’ve seen a tightening on guidance. Some of the crazy north and south solutions are gone. From here on in imo it’s about the trade off between the lead NS SW and the trailing SW. Less suppressive NS and or more separation and a more amplified north solution. Less separation or a stronger NS SW and a weaker souther solution. 

2C243D84-27E1-4702-8C33-0C7D3C92139D.png

There's the Chill middle finger right through Montgomery county

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, 87storms said:

agreed.  mostly just want to avoid a skunk at this point.  that was pretty annoying...though the models hinted at that on sunday, so it was at least somewhat expected.

If this winter is going to continue to be dominated by a progressive flow without much ridging and southern sliders, we may need to start getting used to this feeling - at least for this season. 

These types of winters are bound to happen by sheer odds. Climo and our latitude helps us 95% of the time…. unless the primary storm track for the winter season is a suppressed one. Then it’s fairly useless.

I remember a couple of winters when I still lived up in New York where coastal NJ, NYC, LI and coastal New England kept seeing 6-8-12+ snowfalls and my location (roughly 50 miles NW of NYC - a location that averages FEET more than NYC / LI / NJ each winter with a ton more elevation ) kept getting fringed.

There was a storm that winter where places on Long Island saw nearly 2 feet of snow and we got 3” max in northern Rockland county. The very next storm had a similar outcome, just with lower totals.

The “southern slider” winter as we called it on the old Tristateweather forum.  I believe it was also a niña winter. Storm after storm kept moving quickly and sliding underneath and off the MD / DE / southern jersey coast and tracking just close enough to hit the coast with big snows, but no dice for us inland as the ULL never got captured and we weren’t seeing much in the way of digging in the trough axis. It was flat, snowless, and frustrating as all hell. We kept saying “it’ll be our turn next time” and we waited nearly a year for our next big snowfall. 

Not saying that’s guaranteed to happen to us this winter by any means…. But it does appear like we’re in for a more frustrating winter than average and that I-95 may finally be rewarded after several consecutive dud winters. 

I am definitely rooting for a region-wide warning level snow from the coast to the mountains, but those seem hard to come by nowadays. I will also gladly take a region-wide 3-6” type storm as well

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, StormchaserChuck! said:

It actually misses north.. these maps are rarely wrong.

I think that what is happening is that the MAG site where you got this image displays "snow depth change" and not "positive snow depth change" like Tropical Tidbits does.    The distinction is that the snow depth change is going to tally snow on the ground today that melts before Thursday night as a negative.     So, if an area has 4" melt and then gets 4" of new snow, that map will show a 0.   (Even negative values are possible, but that map starts at 0.)     The positive snow depth map on Tropical Tidbits looks way different and shows several inches of new snow across VA/MD/DE.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

4 minutes ago, high risk said:

I think that what is happening is that the MAG site where you got this image displays "snow depth change" and not "positive snow depth change" like Tropical Tidbits does.    The distinction is that the snow depth change is going to tally snow on the ground today that melts before Thursday night as a negative.     So, if an area has 4" melt and then gets 4" of new snow, that map will show a 0.   (Even negative values are possible, but that map starts at 0.)     The positive snow depth map on Tropical Tidbits looks way different and shows several inches of new snow across VA/MD/DE.

That's very cool.  Thanks!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jayyy said:

If this winter is going to continue to be dominated by a progressive flow without much ridging and southern sliders, we may need to start getting used to this feeling - at least for this season. 

These types of winters are bound to happen by sheer odds. Climo and our latitude helps us 95% of the time…. unless the primary storm track for the winter season is a suppressed one. Then it’s fairly useless.

I remember a couple of winters when I still lived up in New York where coastal NJ, NYC, LI and coastal New England kept seeing 6-8-12+ snowfalls and my location (roughly 50 miles NW of NYC - a location that averages FEET more than NYC / LI / NJ each winter with a ton more elevation ) kept getting fringed.

There was a storm that winter where places on Long Island saw nearly 2 feet of snow and we got 3” max in northern Rockland county. The very next storm had a similar outcome, just with lower totals.

The “southern slider” winter as we called it on the old Tristateweather forum.  I believe it was also a niña winter. Storm after storm kept moving quickly and sliding underneath and off the MD / DE / southern jersey coast and tracking just close enough to hit the coast with big snows, but no dice for us inland as the ULL never got captured and we weren’t seeing much in the way of digging in the trough axis. It was flat, snowless, and frustrating as all hell. We kept saying “it’ll be our turn next time” and we waited nearly a year for our next big snowfall. 

Not saying that’s guaranteed to happen to us this winter by any means…. But it does appear like we’re in for a more frustrating winter than average and that I-95 may finally be rewarded after several consecutive dud winters. 

I am definitely rooting for a region-wide warning level snow from the coast to the mountains, but those seem hard to come by nowadays. I will also gladly take a region-wide 3-6” type storm as well

the teleconnections do seem to matter on a large scale here given the fact that we're usually a boom/bust snow town, but i think a southern slider is more at play when there isn't much northern stream involvement, or just plain further north.  hopefully that's not the case this time around.  as they say...12z euro will be telling.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, high risk said:

It's also Chuck....so that may be part of it as well ;) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

7 minutes ago, high risk said:

Thank you for clarification 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

It’s also stronger with the trailing SW so maybe it will be a wash. But definitely less room to breath with less ridging and a more compressed suppressive flow in front of it. 

If one of the models spits out a harsher cutoff at some point today, I think the board will go (more) insane.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic