Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

12 minutes ago, Amped said:

Euro is an outlier with both the northern and southern streams.  Even if it turns out correct I don't think anyone should be taking it's solution literally yet.  We're going to need perfect timing to get a HECS in this chaotic pattern.

I was 100% taking it literally. A storm 120 hours away is always a lock.  Thank you for bringing us back down to Earth.

• Haha 3

Just now, ovechkin said:

A red tag in another thread mentioned the GFS doesn’t handle SS as well in this range. Then again the EURO is as reliable as the Caps goaltending.  Which will be correct? Calgon take me away! (1980’s commercial reference for anyone under 40.)

Hey they were still using that in the 1990s...so I think us 25-30 somethings may remember! (I do) Do they still make that? Lol

4 minutes ago, ovechkin said:

A red tag in another thread mentioned the GFS doesn’t handle SS as well in this range. Then again the EURO is as reliable as the Caps goaltending.  Which will be correct? Calgon take me away! (1980’s commercial reference for anyone under 40.)

2 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Hey they were still using that in the 1990s...so I think us 25-30 somethings may remember! (I do) Do they still make that? Lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yjGPgs0_S0

We’re seriously discounting this storm because the GFS doesn’t have it 5-6 days out? Icon RGEM and cmc are all more similar to the Euro than the GFS at 500 & H5. Also, the GFS’s 5 day verification score hasn’t actually been that good as of late. The storm we scored 2 Monday’s ago was a nothing burger until about 48-60 hours out. Anything is still possible. Buffalo wasn’t seeing 1-2 feet of snow from yesterdays system until about 72 hours out. I get that we have different climo, but the point remains the same regarding track and evolution of systems. 

This can’t be as black and white as “one model has this nailed down perfectly and the other is completely wrong” this far out.  Both could very well be incorrect and the solution lies somewhere in the middle or… something entirely different plays out altogether. 

We need yesterdays system out of the picture and the prospective players on the field before we can start discounting models entirely. Hoping one is right because it shows snow or saying the GFS is right because it’s done OK lately is not a legit way to go about It. 

We all know It is going to take near perfect timing for this to pan out, but discounting it entirely this far out is just silly.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, jayyy said:

This can’t be as black and white as “one model has this nailed down perfectly and the other is completely wrong” this far out.  Both could very well be incorrect and the solution lies somewhere in the middle or… something entirely different plays out altogether. 

We need yesterdays system out of the picture and the prospective players on the field before we can start discounting models entirely. Hoping one is right because it shows snow or saying the GFS is right because it’s done OK lately is not a legit way to go about It. 

We all know It is going to take near perfect timing for this to pan out, but discounting it entirely this far out is just silly.  

No one is doing this, except maybe tongue-in-cheek. 

People (correctly) have a healthy dose of skepticism. But no one is doing what you describe.

49 minutes ago, ovechkin said:

A non red tagger, me, brought up this same issue earlier today lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic