Total Members
    Most Online
    ChicagoGuy
    Newest Member
    ChicagoGuy
11/26-11/27 Rain Ending as Snow Obs/Disco

40/70 Benchmark

13 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah but have you seen his evergreens when he posts pics of like a week of 2-5" fluffers?  I'd argue they look even more caked and stacked high like gnomes, ha.

I think many look at fluffy snow as snow that doesn't stick to stuff and just blows away... but those often can stack just as easily or better.  Get those large fluffy flakes with 6" on the power lines stacked straight up lol.

We would always see that phenomenon in a good Aroostook winter, one without a major midwinter thaw.  Large windthrown tees would have 3'+ stacked, with visible strata from multiple snowfalls.  Coolest were the small fir that would have snow piled up until it would bend the top as if the snow was taffy, the snowcone top now pointing sideways or even somewhat downwards.  I'd refer to that as a "snownose".  Somewhere in my slides from the NW Maine woods there are some showing that effect.

10 minutes ago, mreaves said:

I actually wondered about that.  It seems like most of the courses are pretty icy and hard packed.  

Usually the snow on the course has to have water injection to freeze the snow more solidly.  Since snowmaking temperatures were so marginal,  the snow had a very high moisture content and injection was not required. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Mitch must have done well.

FB7EEAE9-D6B9-4789-A0B7-DFB8AD24B5CD.jpeg

8.0" of dense, windblown snow here and measurements were all over the place, but ranged between 6-10". Snow growth was poor to mediocre here. Woodford was very similar and reported 8.5" earlier.

It was a strange event with the heaviest totals along the NY-22 corridor and on the Rensselaer Plateau due to low Froude numbers and the primary upslope snow cloud being just east of the Hudson River. The most reported on ALY's PNS was 13.5" 3 N of Austerlitz, NY, but I did see an unofficial 18.5" report on Facebook at 1,500-1,600' in Taborton, NY, which I think may be legit based on the photos, location, and radar imagery in that area. They were probably puking dendrites for hours on end out there.

Pittsfield, MA (~8-9") had more than 2K in Savoy, MA (5.5"). This event was similar in some ways to the 11/20/16 NWFE, but this one was a little more blocked and not as long lasting.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, wxmanmitch said:

8.0" of dense, windblown snow here and measurements were all over the place, but ranged between 6-10". Snow growth was poor to mediocre here. Woodford was very similar and reported 8.5" earlier.

It was a strange event with the heaviest totals along the NY-22 corridor and on the Rensselaer Plateau due to low Froude numbers and the primary upslope snow cloud being just east of the Hudson River. The most reported on ALY's PNS was 13.5" 3 N of Austerlitz, NY, but I did see an unofficial 18.5" report on Facebook at 1,500-1,600' in Taborton, NY, which I think may be legit based on the photos, location, and radar imagery in that area. They were probably puking dendrites for hours on end out there.

Pittsfield, MA (~8-9") had more than 2K in Savoy, MA (5.5"). This event was similar in some ways to the 11/20/16 NWFE, but this one was a little more blocked and not as long lasting.

Yeah I noticed the radar echoes definitely were maxing out west of where they usually do on those upslope events. The Hudson valley was all lit up and just barely east of them looked like the max. 

I wonder if backedgeapproaching in Manchester VT had better ratios than you. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wxmanmitch said:

Thank you, was hoping to get a report from you. Agreed this event seemed "strange." I ended up with 5.5". Surprised to see you only had 8" given the radar depiction, but there was something different about this event for sure. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wxmanmitch said:

I was thinking this was like a poor man's NOV 16 event too as it was unfolding. IIRC alot of those same areas did well too, but this seemed even more blocked as even Woodford didn't do that well in this, which is unusual.  Think they got crushed in NOV 16.

Weenie ARW model run from before the event ago nailed pretty much the exact spot in ENY that jacked. Although most mesos were pretty good in depicting the backed up blocked flow. Certainly interesting from a meteorology perspective.

Screenshot_20211127-194957_Gallery.thumb.jpg.8110f96af2345e1f356062a7f2eddef7.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

Actually,  the new snow has to be scaped off because it's too soft, go figure. 

There’s nothing more painful to a powder hound as watching racers slip off fresh snow.  Just running the whole trail with your skis sideways, pushing snow to the side… usually on a wide, uniform trail that would make the greatest powder field.  That’s ski racing though!

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah I noticed the radar echoes definitely were maxing out west of where they usually do on those upslope events. The Hudson valley was all lit up and just barely east of them looked like the max. 

My ratios were in the 10-1 range, so not great. These really low froude events actually aren't the perfect setup for here either, the Taconics in SVT to my west block a good amount of the moisture, hence you noticed the radar building up in ENY down through the Rensselaer Plateau and south of there.. Briefly had some really good growth, but it certainly wasn't perfect dendrites like it can be alot of times.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mreaves said:

They got 9 skiers in before they cancelled at Killington. Looked brutal with wind. Probably made the right choice. 

You have to cancel when it’s a safety issue. Makes sense.  Racers are going to race if you let them but organizers know when the scales get dipped towards injury potential.  Those skiers absolutely attack/charge the hill more than ligaments, joints, bones, muscles can support in the wrong conditions.

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

New Lebanon, NY... just over the Mass border and around Pittsfield's latitude.  That's a stack.  You don't get that with wind and small flakes.  That's what happens when the lift is maximized and there's zero downward wind.  The air is just rising and it's calm in the void.

261404729_10225547445370573_424607077573

• Like 2