Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
September Banter 2021

George BM

20 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

Correct, but it just seems silly to go a week and then have a three day week. Why not just open with a three day week?

What does it matter?

Fairfax County is in their second week of school right now. Kids have off this Friday and then Monday, so they have a nice, long holiday weekend and a couple slightly shorter weeks after the hubbub of going back.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mattie g said:

What does it matter?

Fairfax County is in their second week of school right now. Kids have off this Friday and then Monday, so they have a nice, long holiday weekend and a couple slightly shorter weeks after the hubbub of going back.

Yea kids have a 4 day weekend here also. Mon and Tue off. They went back 2 weeks ago also. Won't have a full week of school again till the last week of Sept. 

6 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Congrats!  What school?

Thank you! I'm going to JMU. My dad went into the business school in the 90s so I'm following in his footsteps. Unfortunately the school doesn't offer any meteorology courses, but I'm pretty content on pursuing the business management career path.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

Thank you! I'm going to JMU. My dad went into the business school in the 90s so I'm following in his footsteps. Unfortunately the school doesn't offer any meteorology courses, but I'm pretty content on pursuing the business management career path.

Good Luck this year.  Luckily the weather will break for you soon.  My son moved into his dorm on Friday and he was fortunate enough to have one with air conditioning.  The one next door to his had none and it was brutal in the 95 degree heat. 

1 hour ago, Cobalt said:

Thank you for the kind words! Yeah, the campus is beautiful. I can't wait to see how it looks in the winter months (also considering that we do a tiny bit better in La Ninas here, so any bit helps :p) 

Yo, congrats! Managed to snag this pic on my porch the day after I moved my daughter into JMU a few years ago.

Funny thing is, I never leave that door open. Still not sure how that ‘fly got in. Made me cry, lol.

Best of luck, have a great time!

28510E39-1474-45ED-8A06-FA9924069F54.jpeg

6 hours ago, Cobalt said:

Congratulations! I’m so happy for you!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, MDphotog said:

Yeah, that.....was....not a good thing to do.  He was making it worse in the comments too by changing his story and claiming he was a professional.  (This is what I was referring too up higher.)

I’ll be honest, I would have pulled over too. But onto the shoulder at least. It was a good catch/video and I’ll give him that. But the response and fallout has been anything but professional and he works for Fox 5 in DC 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, H2O said:

After seeing some stuff others have had today I'm pretty good with saying I'm happy with what I got.  

I have mixed feelings...I mean thankful for having no damage...but I still wanted some more exciting weather though. Baltimore has been remarkably shielded for the most part. Probably 3.5" of rain around here.

17 hours ago, MDphotog said:

Sigh....I'm quickly reminded this afternoon that 1. I hate twitter and  2. If you make an big ooopsie in the moment of excitement, it's probably better to just apologize to move forward rather than keep lying about it and keep getting called out. 

I understand why (and about whom) you wrote this, however in general, your first point covers it perfectly. Twitter is a cesspool.

Well FCPS made a good call this morning. After starting with a 2 hr late start and a re-assess at 7am and due to ongoing flooding and power outages, school was closed today. 

I have a friend who is a teacher at my daughter's former ES who said that she was there till 6pm last night. Waiting on kids to be picked up when the busses were directed off the roads. She said counselors were swapping car seats to get some kids home. My Barr instructor this morning told me of a friend of hers who's daughter attends Frederick HS, downtown, that to get home she walked through hip high water outside the school. FCPS seems to think only busses were an issue when in fact walkers, car riders, new student drivers and busses were an issue. I have not yet but am planning on sending an email off. The Superintendent sent an "apology" email last night. It did not go far enough. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mrs.J said:

Well FCPS made a good call this morning. After starting with a 2 hr late start and a re-assess at 7am and due to ongoing flooding and power outages, school was closed today. 

I have a friend who is a teacher at my daughter's former ES who said that she was there till 6pm last night. Waiting on kids to be picked up when the busses were directed off the roads. She said counselors were swapping car seats to get some kids home. My Barr instructor this morning told me of a friend of hers who's daughter attends Frederick HS, downtown, that to get home she walked through hip high water outside the school. FCPS seems to think only busses were an issue when in fact walkers, car riders, new student drivers and busses were an issue. I have not yet but am planning on sending an email off. The Superintendent sent an "apology" email last night. It did not go far enough. 

I do think that it is a bit of a damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don’t situation for the administration.  We all generally had the same forecast.  If they had shut down school in Fairfax County and then we got less than an inch of rain and no wind during the day (which is what happened), parents would be pissed that they canceled school for a bit of rain.  

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic