Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Tropical Storm Henri

wxeyeNH

19 minutes ago, FXWX said:

Just my 2-cents, but way too much emphasis on every tiny track or intensity change on every 6 hour model run.  Not enough emphasis on the trends of the strength and physical layout of the west Atl. ridge to Henri's north and east, as well as the behavior of the OV upper level trough.  Henri does not exist in a vacuum.  It will only go where other large-scale features allow it to go.  Closely monitor the position and changes & pressure tendencies of the Atlantic ridge's isobaric pattern.  You have to continually ask yourself, does the modeled track make sense given the layout of the large-scale surface and upper air pressure / height pattern.

I’d be concerned about the tug west of Henri there’s an upper air low down south of me in southern PA awful lot of rain poised to come in here right now from the southwest.  That upper air low will tug Henri west to the coast making the left hand turn.

On last microwave imagery (2am I believe) Center is significantly further north then where center appears on water vapor 

I.e heavily tilted still . This won’t be taking off at all till / if that aligns 

seen that movie many times , cimss shows mid level wind shear has let up and there is still a bit of N shear left (15 knots) couple hours ago

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

When do folks begin boarding windows ? Is it now? Tomorrow? 

No boarding yet here…Wrapping up our week vacation in Pt Judith and  went to watch the sunrise at the light house this morning, all the local surfers were out riding the swells, I’m sure they are pumped for what’s to come

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Center is significantly further north then where center appears on water vapor 

I.e heavily tilted still . This won’t be taking off at all till / if that aligns 

seen that movie many times 

Still tilted for sure, but let's wait for recon to see where the actual center is. It was embedded a bit deeper into the convection than expected yesterday, and we wouldn't have known that if not for the actual recon fixes. 

In the meantime, we do have some relatively new MW images that show a tilted, but respectable system. 

oV5xPRr.jpg

nRgxyD5.jpg

D6oWsbD.jpg

Like yesterday, there's a mid level eye feature, but there's still some tilt between the LLC and MLC. You're right though, it can't take off until those align. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Still tilted for sure, but let's wait for recon to see where the actual center is. It was embedded a bit deeper into the convection than expected yesterday, and we wouldn't have known that if not for the actual recon fixes. 

In the meantime, we do have some relatively new MW images that show a tilted, but respectable system. 

oV5xPRr.jpg

nRgxyD5.jpg

D6oWsbD.jpg

Like yesterday, there's a mid level eye feature, but there's still some tilt between the LLC and MLC. You're right though, it can't take off until those align. 

This was the imagery I was referring to , is that from 2am 

what does it take to expedite the realigning of a systems tilted centers . I recall many cases where the process just never occurs even under seemingly favorable conditions. A big blow up of convection?

the shallow steering flow aligning with deeper layer steering ?

30 minutes ago, FXWX said:

Just my 2-cents, but way too much emphasis on every tiny track or intensity change on every 6 hour model run.  Not enough emphasis on the trends of the strength and physical layout of the west Atl. ridge to Henri's north and east, as well as the behavior of the OV upper level trough.  Henri does not exist in a vacuum.  It will only go where other large-scale features allow it to go.  Closely monitor the position and changes & pressure tendencies of the Atlantic ridge's isobaric pattern.  You have to continually ask yourself, does the modeled track make sense given the layout of the large-scale surface and upper air pressure / height pattern.

The best post so far in the thread... considering that it was your 2cents worth that means you still have a lot of pocket change to spend....feel free to spend more by posting more often in the thread.

• Like 2

Intensity aside, the UKie tug west via capture makes a lot more sense to me physically, vs a GFS track that takes it into ME virtually unimpeded. There is HP building into northern ME and NS during that time frame. There will certainly be some form of ET transition given climo and UL trough interaction...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

This was the imagery I was referring to , is that from 2am 

what does it take to expedite the realigning of a systems tilted centers . I recall many cases where the process just never occurs even under seemingly favorable conditions. A big blow up of convection?

Yes, those are from around 2am (surprised I didn't see them then) 

Consistent and deep convection helps a lot in getting a system vertically stacked. What's critical is that the convection is able to wrap upshear (in this case, to the west) to form a complete eyewall. Once you have a stable eyewall it's game on. 

Re-upping a great illustration from Twitter. Courtesy of Andy Hazelton. 

qDYAgGD.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I think we touched on that. Both the ridge to the east and trough to the west are not typical for us to get canes. So you don’t have that massive pressure gradient like in previous storms. So it’s sort of on its own as far as analogs. I think that is why wind field appears much tighter compared to other storms in the past. 

It’s just not that simple yes ridge to the east and trough to the west but there’s an upper level low setting up in the Mid Atlantic states that could have implications on the final track of Henri. 

• dendrite changed the title to Tropical Storm Henri
  • dendrite unpinned this topic