Newest Member
    joxey
Tropical Storm Henri

wxeyeNH

1 minute ago, MJO812 said:

Agree

This was 6z

08L_tracks_06z.png

the shifts west on a run-to-run basis have been pretty striking. Perhaps we do see a "correction east" but given the size of the westward shifts...we may not be done. I would think we would want to start seeing very little shifts west or pretty much standing pat just before ticks east occur

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

The hook west still has a small wind field. It's not the ET transition quite yet. Also, most models are minimal cat 1. 

How well will hurricane models resolve this? I would think the globals showing this evolution more reliable than a tropical model that simply shows a more westward track. 

• Like 2

Just now, jbenedet said:

How well will hurricane models resolve this? I would think the globals showing this evolution more reliable than a tropical model that simply shows a more westward track. 

I don't really see a big Et transition on any guidance though. It just sort of gets tugged NW and then rapidly weakens. Wind fields still tight.

11 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

the shifts west on a run-to-run basis have been pretty striking. Perhaps we do see a "correction east" but given the size of the westward shifts...we may not be done. I would think we would want to start seeing very little shifts west or pretty much standing pat just before ticks east occur

Gefs

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Bingo! 

I do remember you pointing that out. 

If you have a fast moving system...well these cooler waters won't do much for weakening b/c there isn't time. In this instance it may do a quite a bit of damage but if there is some interaction with that ulvl low and there is just enough ulvl divergence perhaps it helps to offset some of the weakening by the cooler waters. 

The wind potential still scares me a bit b/c people may see 30-40 mph and go meh but that's going to cause some issues...obviously nothing over the top crazy

Agree, there may be a balancing act here because although the SSTs and upwelling will promote weakening, the upper level divergence and lack of shear could allow for more steady state or gradual weakening than currently anticipated. We also don't know for sure how fast this will be moving or slowing up toward our latitude. All those things can make a tangible difference. 

The other thing is even though the wind field will be smaller, I do think some higher end winds (50-60 gusts) will be possible inland depending on distance to center. With saturated soils and fully leafed trees it won't take much to cause significant issues. 

2 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

do you think they issue a special advisory or an update and upgrade to a hurricane? 

Not right now. There's not enough evidence of a hurricane yet IMO. 

2 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

A few indications  that there is a bit less tilting now than on that 6z microwave pass 

seems this will have a shot by this evening for take off 

If it can develop a good inner core today it could really take off as shear drops and it gets ventilated even better than it already is. Intensity can really throw curveballs. Still think strong TS/low end cat 1 is most likely, but if Henri can rapidly intensify and become a strong hurricane further south, we might need to elevate the ceiling a little. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I don't really see a big Et transition on any guidance though. It just sort of gets tugged NW and then rapidly weakens. Wind fields still tight.

Put on your New England climo hat. 

i think some form of hybridization occurs but “how much”? Mostly tropical, slightly ET?  50/50?  My guess is more the former.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

I think we touched on that. Both the ridge to the east and trough to the west are not typical for us to get canes. So you don’t have that massive pressure gradient like in previous storms. So it’s sort of on its own as far as analogs. I think that is why wind field appears much tighter compared to other storms in the past. 

Hey Scott... I know you in particular have been hitting the pressure gradient or lack thereof hard with respect to the apparent confined / non-expanding wind field as Henri comes north into SNE.  That appears to be the case and it will be interesting to see if that is being correctly model, or there ends up being a bit more expansive than currently shown.  The 925 wind field trends certainly suggest the lack of a tight gradient on its eastern flank will decrease the size of the damaging wind threat east of the track.   My comment was more related to just frequent comments about model track shifts with only little note of the surrounding large-scale pattern trends.  But I have noted your correct assessment of the gradient issue and its relationship to apparent less than normal wind expansion.  Certainly not a classic New England hurricane pattern with a wide open south to north flow channel sucking a storm into SNE.  More of a baby Sandy look.

I'm not on here all that frequently and likely missed others commenting about the pattern trends & gradient issue.

14 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

I am really surprised that the models are not bullish.  Gulf Stream and no strong wind shear yet not a deep storm.

the last 10 years or so we’ve seen plenty of storms near where Henri was with belief they’d intensify and they never did.  Sandy was one example of that.  The problem when you have a short window like this is the system has to be fairly well organized to start off with and it really is not 

• dendrite changed the title to Tropical Storm Henri
  • dendrite unpinned this topic