Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July 2021 Discussion

moneypitmike

2 hours ago, tamarack said:

Only one rainout but a lot of cloudy days and no real heat until the last couple days.  Odd for July.
Do any fishing?

I'm not a big fisherman, but I did cast a line out from the dock most days and caught mainly pumpkin seeds and dace using crawlers.  My wife and father-in-law like to fish more,  they grabbed some largemouth in the 15 to 19 inch range, I believe using lures or some type of fake worm looking bait that they squeeze garlic / lemon flavored attractant that turns them bright green.  You're right about the weather, there was probably 3 days that were sunny and warm  and what I would consider classic lake days.  Filled in the gaps with a trip to Tumbledown Mountain, Mosher Falls in Farmington, visited family staying at a cabin at Lake Androscoggin in Leeds, play disc golf in Belgrade and regular golf at Spring Brook Country Club in Leeds, hiked a couple trails in the Kennebec Highlands, and made a trip down to Freeport.  

14 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Grew up as a kid all summer long at the Woodstock 9-Hole Course at Roseland Park and Harrisville.  I always remember Harrisville 20 years ago didn't have much irrigation so in the Stein summers you could hit the ball forever as the fairways were burnt brown.  The ball would run and run and run.

Now we play at Quinnatisset in Thompson and have also done the Raceway Course in Thompson as well in recent years.

Raceway is pretty good since they redid a few holes, usually in great shape but doesnt drain water well. The new owner at Harrissville did a good job since he bought it a few years ago.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, CT Valley Snowman said:

I'm not a big fisherman, but I did cast a line out from the dock most days and caught mainly pumpkin seeds and dace using crawlers.  My wife and father-in-law like to fish more,  they grabbed some largemouth in the 15 to 19 inch range, I believe using lures or some type of fake worm looking bait that they squeeze garlic / lemon flavored attractant that turns them bright green.  You're right about the weather, there was probably 3 days that were sunny and warm  and what I would consider classic lake days.  Filled in the gaps with a trip to Tumbledown Mountain, Mosher Falls in Farmington, visited family staying at a cabin at Lake Androscoggin in Leeds, play disc golf in Belgrade and regular golf at Spring Brook Country Club in Leeds, hiked a couple trails in the Kennebec Highlands, and made a trip down to Freeport.  

Sounds decent.  I've not fished Flying Pond in open water in years but I've pulled some big bass thru the ice.  Had to put the biggest back due to the 1-fish-over-14" rule.  It was a full inch longer than the 4.75 lb fish I'd put on the ice about 4 hours earlier and quite a bit fatter - no scale with me but I'd guess 5.5 lb at least, biggest bass I've ever caught.  :D

Hope you visited Mosher soon after Elsa.  Prior to that event there probably wasn't more than a trickle dribbling over the rocks.

How were the crowds at Tumbledown?  Excluding ski areas, that peak might be summited more often than any other 3,000+ mountain in Maine.  We (Parks and Lands) has decided to eliminate overnight camping at/near the top due to increasingly harmful impacts on the ecosystem, also on day hikers.  We'll see how well folks conform to the change.  

Another cloudy but dry day here, so far.

3 hours ago, White Rain said:

Funny you mention this. We spent most of the day at that beach yesterday, the waves were awesome and water was warm. Great beach. We spent the last two days in Mystic.  It was our first trip to any of these places. I grew up on on the beach on the north shore but Misquamicut was reasonable price, great waves and warmer than Good Harbor. 

Wish I knew you were going could have Dmd you some isolated spots

Was wonderin' about this ...

Look at sat and obs, it seems the cold front never really convincingly made it through the area despite WPC's analyzing it through LI

As the days gotten on ... the strata/fog bank vanished and/or begun moving back NE and the CU field in CT/RI and western MA has begin moving N.

If anything there's maybe some frontal-related SRH in the area too with light by veered llv winds.  So...vis shows the skies opening up with ample sun intervals, and KFIT bounces to 81/69 ?  Not very convincing as a cool side of any boundary and now we have a mid level mechanic entrance/right jet region.

So I go to SPC and CT is about to be Watch boxed..I suspect they may need that up as far as ORH or even Rt 2, but we'll see. 

9 minutes ago, dendrite said:

My diurnal trend fetish going hard there.

30F to 80F in the afternoon.  Meanwhile here we’ll do 59F to 74F today lol.

Whats wild is at peak heating the wet bulbs there are 52F even at 80F ambient :lol:.