Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
July 2021 Discussion

moneypitmike

30 minutes ago, DomNH said:

This is correct. 0F or 100F, Christmas in New England is always planned as an indoor holiday. If anything, the Grinch doesn't screw up travel so it's probably actually preferable to winter wx. 

I'd disagree about Christmas.  Sure, the celebrations occur mostly indoors, but for snow sport businesses and participants a storm like 12/25/20 has a negative impact lasting well beyond that day.  Ski areas with high end snowmaking lost part of Christmas week, while X-C areas and nearly all snomo suffered a disaster lasting weeks.  Did the same for my and many others' ice fishing, though the financial impact was minute compared to that of the snow business.  (In addition, 12/25/20 traumatized a lot of Amwx weenies.)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, tamarack said:

I'd disagree about Christmas.  Sure, the celebrations occur mostly indoors, but for snow sport businesses and participants a storm like 12/25/20 has a negative impact lasting well beyond that day.  Ski areas with high end snowmaking lost part of Christmas week, while X-C areas and nearly all snomo suffered a disaster lasting weeks.  Did the same for my and many others' ice fishing, though the financial impact was minute compared to that of the snow business.  (In addition, 12/25/20 traumatized a lot of Amwx weenies.)

agree....no one wants to receive this Christmas card in the mail....

See the source image

Yeah it's subjective, but the 4th is meant to be outside, beers, food, pool, lakes, ocean, river..whatever. All with friends or family. You lose a big part of the weekend to weather, and you have businesses in major areas like Boston having a financial impact. At least with ski areas, many times those plans are already made. Likewise on the 4th with lodging...those are already made. But those businesses that depend on people and nice weather lose out on days like Friday and Saturday. Hopefully not Sunday. 

Hah,   I love triggering subjective irreconcilable, consensus -evasive debates.  

No one on-line has ever changed an opinion based on incontrovertible reasoning.  Since the third law of the proletariat stalwart ( ... which states, subjective opinions will stay in motion until acted upon by sufficiently strong force ) cannot ever be sufficiently forced in an on-line medium, this biomolecularly precludes anyone ever can be really influenced at all. 

Lol, seriously, when was the last time anyone ever heard the phrase,

" You know .. you've articulate your thoughts in a convincing, lucid, well materialized manner, and your points are satisfactory compensating for my love lost over a 58 f raining Xmas morning, so I'm gonna go ahead and change that component of my personality and spiritual make-up - thanks for your unworldly transcendent advice.."

• Confused 1

22 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah it's subjective, but the 4th is meant to be outside, beers, food, pool, lakes, ocean, river..whatever. All with friends or family. You lose a big part of the weekend to weather, and you have businesses in major areas like Boston having a financial impact. At least with ski areas, many times those plans are already made. Likewise on the 4th with lodging...those are already made. But those businesses that depend on people and nice weather lose out on days like Friday and Saturday. Hopefully not Sunday. 

Thank god I’m in ILM until Sunday and will miss this disaster. Spend the night in BAL and back in BOS on Monday when tolerable weather returns.

3-4" of rain here. Sweet. I'll go from bitching about no rain to bitching about too much.

57F here 18z Saturday. May as well go full ratter and break a record. Looks like u50s from 6z to 6z so no bush league highs either side of midnight.

3 minutes ago, dendrite said:

3-4" of rain here. Sweet. I'll go from bitching about no rain to bitching about too much.

57F here 18z Saturday. May as well go full ratter and break a record. Looks like u50s from 6z to 6z so no bush league highs either side of midnight.

• Haha 1

I thought the Euro looked decent for Sunday afternoon ...no ?

seriously what am I looking at then -

The closed vortex is in the outer GOM area 12z Sunday morning. It isn't stalled - it's in motion moving out with rising heights already taking place back west. 

It's not instantly transformative, no - but 'improving' I bet that the skies are partial in CT and western MA and murky in Nashua at 9am, but both regions are cleaving sun splashes through enough by noon and the afternoon to salvage the 4th its self - on this run.

'Course may have to consider convective entertainment with residual albeit modest cool mid level heights.

41 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It all has a big impact.  It would be hard to quantify subjectively one or the other.  Even at the ski areas and NNE vacation towns wet weather sucks big time for times like the 4th, Labor Day, Columbus Day, etc.  Places are sold out this weekend.  Ski area ziptour sold out starting Friday… stuff like that.  Not going to sell 2k Gondola tickets a day in the fog and mist.

It all hurts from a business standpoint unless you own a cinema… but good for them, ha, been a rough year there too.

13 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Coastal on the Independence Day weekend and a Bermuda high on Christmas.  Sounds about right.   Looks hot again for a spell next week.  Bad timing.

That D9 Euro ...

if we go back to 7 or 8 or 5 whatever days before this last heat wave, that is just about a redux version of that those back-whence models showed.   594 again approaches the E from the E, while the heat in the west is buffered from injecting east by that residual trough/shear axis in the midriff of the continent.  

Interesting - strong argument for a base-line pattern persistence. 

Frankly that looks like a HC expansion ..and those ridges, west and WAR are just defaulting larger as that expansion goes... but hypothetic -

I'm almost wondering if "some" of this horror story is exaggerated by convective feedback ...

Here is the 12 z NAM or 21z ( 9 hour out) and you can see that the model is decidedly more morose in depiction in the upper MA than this satellite suggest will/is verifying ...

image.thumb.png.14bc4de7f970345ff8fb876f255d1d16.png

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

good thing my elbow's busted and we can't take out the boat. but i can still tip back a few at the marina