Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June, 2021 Discussion

Typhoon Tip

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Gotcha, yeah I see a minute prior it was 98F, but the sky cover changed from FEW to CLR so I thought maybe it bumped up.

FEW rarely even blocks the sun...it was probably a tiny cumulus on the horizon. But they were right back down to 36C in the next 5min ob too so with the 5min running mean it was just more likely to be 98F. They'll probably pull off a 101F before all is said and done though. Pretty impressive with 70+ dews even if BOS is running a hair too warm.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, dendrite said:

FEW rarely even blocks the sun...it was probably a tiny cumulus on the horizon. But they were right back down to 36C in the next 5min ob too so with the 5min running mean it was just more likely to be 98F. They'll probably pull off a 101F before all is said and done though. Pretty impressive with 70+ dews even if BOS is running a hair too warm.

Good to know on FEW.  I always try to look for clues or changes (sky, wind, dew) that might explain temp behavior between obs.

Give it time -

...in any case, the adiabat's likely maxed.  We're at the bounce temp while diurnal forcing tries to mix higher.  It's like a .3 F rattle at the top. 

90 by 9 failure haha.  Actually, that wasn't hugely convincing.  Some sites got in, but most did not.   10 after 10 was more convincing however.

36 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

What bout HFD and BAF  ...

heh.. I mean, the sensor could need a tuning - okay... But it's no one knows how 'badly' it is off, even if that can be proven.  It's likely decimals -

In fact, if it is 93 in Dorchester, I'd almost question that sensor more so given the total environment

But know what - who cares.  It's donkey ballz out there

They should have another temp/humidity sensor as a backup to cross check like they have with barometric pressure.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

ENAHNED RISK TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't wait to make a thread in a few hours.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DAMAGE HEAVY, HEAVY DAMAGE!!!!!

Nice! Reading that last spc outlook I figured we had a chance for ENH tomorrow but I didn’t want to jinx it. Looks like I won’t be getting 9 holes in after work, but I’m ok with that if I can trade off for some SVR. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, snowman21 said:

They should have another temp/humidity sensor as a backup to cross check like they have with barometric pressure.

I mean yeah if it means that much  -LOL

Personally?   don't give a rat's ass.  But, there's this OCD about that Logan site for some reason.

I also see today as a west wind out of the Worcester hills, as a downsloping direction - that BOX' AFD also noted.  That, and ..a west wind is blowing straight through and over the urban heat island of the city, and transporting both d-slope air, and that, mixed ...right across that air field. 

Firstly, the Logan temp for Boston is absurd before even engaging in the debate - ...that's aN old narrative that is both true, and never destined to be rectified.  That said, these other factors and 96 to 98 temperature at that location isn't a terrible look to me.  

But, that's just one Mets "hot" take ( nyuk nyuk) on the temp there today.  Really don't give a shit.   I see BAF and HFD, and half the home stations within 2 miles of my town all in that range and it's just donkey balls out there. 

Although ..hm, as an afterthought,  to be fair if we are flirting with records and break one by a 10th of a degree based upon a less than calibrated ( perfectly ) thermometer, I am somewhere between understanding of that concern, and morbidly thinking that is hilarious and kinda hope it is the case. HAHAHAHA

11 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Good to know on FEW.  I always try to look for clues or changes (sky, wind, dew) that might explain temp behavior between obs.

I believe FEW is only 1-2 octas, SCT is 3-4, BKN is 5-7, and OVC is 8. So the ceilometer is scanning the sky in every direction/elev angle looking for clouds. So you could have an OVC layer overhead and north of the station with the south side clear and it may get reported as BKN even though there's no drop in insolation. You could also be FEW/SCT and have one Cu sitting right in front of the sun too. Then there's the CLR debacle where many ASOS ceilometers only report up to 12kft so in advance of systems you can get half a day's worth of CLR obs despite an OVC altostratus layer at 15kft and then suddenly it lowers enough and you go from CLR to OVC120 (12kft).

• Like 1

Damn Canada really feeling the effects of this heat wave out west terribly. I wonder what studies will be done after all is said and done on mortality rates out there this week. Such a synoptically impressive event but it comes with unfortunate consequences. 

“Canada broke its all-time national temperature record with a preliminary high of 46.6°C (116°F) in Lytton on Sunday, June 27, then beat the record again with a preliminary 47.9°C (118.2°F) on Monday. The old record was 45.0°C (113°F) from July 5, 1937. The high at Lytton is also the world’s highest temperature ever recorded north of latitude 50°N, according to international weather records expert Maximiliano Herrera.“

https://yaleclimateconnections.org/2021/06/the-cool-lush-pacific-northwest-roasts-in-death-valley-like-temperatures/

• Sad 3

20 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

It's so nice out. Sick in tired of sitting inside in AC during the summer. What a freaking waste. Should just take my laptop outside and work. I came to this realization when I worked from home most of last summer...just freaking wasting away sitting inside. It's horribly depressing. 

I admit to some mordant fascination -

I had to fire up my A.C.   My 20-year old, rust streaked meth-user-interior design option refrigerator failed :(   Fuuuuu     !    ... ah hell. I deserve it - the clue there is the 20 years of age.

I suspect the incredible DPs we have been putting up the few days is related. 

See..the house was sweltering in the steam of it, and I was just taking it during the day-light hours, reserving A.C. for just the night time in front of the Red Sox or dork Science Channel.  But the back of the freezer where the vents are and the wall itself had become caked and choked by hoarfrost shut.  Two days ago, the motor for the fan started clicking loudly - I didn't figure out why until this morning.  Meanwhile, I didn't realize, but the lower frig compartment was also not being cooled at all for 2 days.  I just had to toss like 100 bucks worth of perishables - not risking 90/70 with that.

Anyway, so in order to "enjoy" this rare heat ..I have to go out there but this A.C. makes the transition worse?   I don't like A.C. because it does that - it makes the heat worse. It's counter-intuitive. But if I drive around doing late errands and put up with it, eventually I don't need the A.C. as much.  It's like A.C. leads to more A.C., and makes scenarios where you have no choice seem even worse.     I mean if it gets that bad I'll use it - today prooobably qualifies either way.   98/76 here by average home stations is about the highest combination of those two metrics I have ever registered living this this town in 10 years.