• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
May Discobs 2021

George BM

Maybe will get some rain, meanwhile, a special marine warning for the upper Bay has been issued. 

BULLETIN - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED
Special Marine Warning
National Weather Service Baltimore MD/Washington DC
1001 PM EDT Mon May 3 2021

The National Weather Service in Sterling Virginia has issued a

* Special Marine Warning for...
  Chesapeake Bay from Pooles Island to Sandy Point MD...
  Chesapeake Bay north of Pooles Island MD...

* Until 1130 PM EDT.

* At 1000 PM EDT, strong thunderstorms were located along a line
  extending from 15 nm northwest of Havre De Grace to 13 nm west of
  Middle River, moving east at 25 knots.

HAZARD...Wind gusts 34 knots or greater.

SOURCE...Radar indicated.

IMPACT...Boaters in small craft could be thrown overboard by
           suddenly higher winds and waves capsizing their vessel.

* Locations impacted include...
  Northeast River, Turkey Point, Pooles Island, Spesutie Island,
  Gunpowder River and Aberdeen Proving Ground.

Map of Forecast Area

37 minutes ago, wxdude64 said:

Just missed a record warm minimum by 0.6 degrees this morning....yay. NOT! 

I forgot how uncomfortable warm/humid morning runs are until this morning... and it was only around 65/64. Those 75+/75+ morning runs coming later are going to suck for sure! I don't know how people run in the mid-afternoon summer heat.

7 minutes ago, GATECH said:

Ugh. Feeling like mid July out there, 70 with a dew of 66.  Anyone know what’s wrong with the LWX radar?  Hasn’t updated since around midnight.

Not sure why LWX is down, but for the record -- I don't care for the new NWS radar. It takes forever to load and I just don't like how it displays. I don't mean to sh*t on others' hard work, as I know they had to replace the legacy radar with something, but....

I now generally prefer to use Windy.com for radar if I'm at the laptop or, of course, Radarscope on mobile.

6 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

Not sure why LWX is down, but for the record -- I don't care for the new NWS radar. It takes forever to load and I just don't like how it displays. I don't mean to sh*t on others' hard work, as I know they had to replace the legacy radar with something, but....

I now generally prefer to use Windy.com for radar if I'm at the laptop or, of course, Radarscope on mobile.

weather.cod.edu is another great site if you want free radars.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

I totally agree. I remember when @Jebman first brought the new radar up as a bad upgrade earlier this year. 

You also don't get as much detail on their maps either.  The returns seem to be in a grid, so you don't see any smoothing or contouring of where the actual rain lines are.  Kind of resembles Minecraft. :-(

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

Yeah, not a fan either,  I use Radar Scope.  The old NWS radar was fine IMO.  I was a fan of the National mosaic display, but they even messed that up and its unusable now.  They should have a ‘classic’ feature, kinda like when they rolled out new coke...now I have dated myself.

found the problem with the LWX radar...

NOUS61 KLWX 040416
FTMLWX
Message Date:  May 04 2021 04:16:10

There is a pedestal problem with the WSR-88D. The radar will be down through the
 night. Technicians will be notified 7AM Tue morning.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

Lots of clouds around now. 

Same here over past hour, but clearing again just to the south and temp back up to 91. Planes taking off from DCA's southern end, which sometimes takes them directly over our neighborhood when heading W or SW, are pulling off some interesting banks and turns right now, no doubt trying to avoid the fun to our N and W.

Related -- any idea what that feedback is streaming in from the coast, just north of (I think?) @CAPE's location?

CODNEXLAB-NEXRAD-LWX-N0Q-20210504-1831-12-100.thumb.gif.aa650e4d730ed7806b7d63cd88106dee.gif

Just now, WxUSAF said:

That thing on the eastern shore is a radar artifact. It’s been discussed on Twitter but I don’t think anyone knows the cause. Presumably something near the LWX radome.

I actually hopped over to Twitter to see if the person who kept mentioning it was mentioning it this time. Would be interesting to look at the path of the beam and the nearby terrain and buildings to see if one could identify a source. Definitely seems more common when there's actual returns coming in from the west. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kmlwx said:

I actually hopped over to Twitter to see if the person who kept mentioning it was mentioning it this time. Would be interesting to look at the path of the beam and the nearby terrain and buildings to see if one could identify a source. Definitely seems more common when there's actual returns coming in from the west. 

Replying to myself but also @WxUSAF - Gotta wonder if it's something related to VA-267. At least roughly if you follow on Google Earth an imaginary line running from the radome to the ESE along 267 and then continue that line - it would end up somewhere near/just south of Easton...maybe traffic?  

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic