Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring Banter

Baroclinic Zone

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah I’m reading on what Ginxy mentioned... sounds like most of that stuff is coming from Reddit.  I guess that’s where the gas/bag video first re-surfaced and it went viral. Then everyone takes Reddit at face value too... sounds like a lot of viral stuff that’s fake starts at Reddit.

I think it's more a percentages thing.  Reddit has been around for a long time and has about 50 million active daily users with countless subreddits so you are bound to get a lot of nonsense getting seeded from there onto social media. Plus, unlike FB you do not need to subscribe to browse.   There is a lot of quality posting that goes on there too.  The problem is, most people see something and post it on their FB page without ever looking into if it is actually true.   Don't forget, there is lots of propaganda posting acoss all social media,  globally, by paid shills.   China may be the worst. 

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

Powerful virtue signaling right there. Also quite anti-science.

I don’t think it’s virtue signaling.  It’s fear-paralysis against any change in status quo.  Hopefully when the next town meeting happens they come to their senses and realize people ignore it.

Up in your neck of woods yesterday. Was surprised by # of boats in the water and activity on lakes. Top of Long Lake boat launch was busy. I still remember vividly, my Uncle and Dad trying to get me to dive maskless to find a propeller part which they'd accidently dropped in the the sebago lake basin at some boat yard back in the early 70's. There was no visibility and I panicked almost immediately! They kept sending me back down!
Hired a diver today to get the phone. He had it in

• Like 1

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah, my wife and I were both on unemployment when furloughed for a time late last spring and early summer for the first time ever when furloughed... we had the opposite effect, this was the first year we got a refund.

We obviously had taxes taken out while on unemployment but then they waived taxes on up to $10k per person and we weren’t on unemployment/furlough long enough to go past 20k combined, so we got all the tax back from unemployment.

First tax refund in a while for us, even with owing for my photography side business.  I always owe because I don’t pay taxes on that income until I file.

I wondered why you took such good pics, I didn't realize you were a professional.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

One good update. With the Mass restriction rollback students are now allowed to share materials. This will make some of my final labs of the year much more doable. 

That’s good. Our school didn’t do science lab this year. At least we were face to face in school the whole year. I’m forever greatfull.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

That’s good. Our school didn’t do science lab this year. At least we were face to face in school the whole year. I’m forever greatfull.  

I’ve been able to do close to a dozen “hands on” lab activities since February.  When we were in hybrid mode the number of kids per class was low so I could more easily do the labs (washing equipment etc in between groups). When they all came back it was harder.  A ton of modifications.  This will allow more kids to do it. 

1 hour ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

One good update. With the Mass restriction rollback students are now allowed to share materials. This will make some of my final labs of the year much more doable. 

That’s good. That was another policy that has t been rooted in science for many months now. Like the covid monster lurking on the handle to your shopping cart. 

7 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

That’s good. That was another policy that has t been rooted in science for many months now. Like the covid monster lurking on the handle to your shopping cart. 

I saw a lady at Kohl’s yesterday washing down the cart handle. That’s ok. Whatever makes her feel better.

1 hour ago, DavisStraight said:

I wondered why you took such good pics, I didn't realize you were a professional.

A lot of Stowe marketing collateral over the past decade.... the stuff you see on trail map and brochure covers, website, social, etc.  Primarily a landscape photog that sells through word of mouth too... second homeowners or those who own rental properties who want local landscapes of the Mansfield/Stowe area on their walls.

It’s a joke on here, chamber of commerce weather.... but it’s real, ha.  Sell shots from those days to Stowe Area Association and chamber office, :lol:.

If I had a house on the Maine coast I’d have it full of @MaineJayhawk’s photos.  He doesn’t post them here but damn those are amazing.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

I saw a lady at Kohl’s yesterday washing down the cart handle. That’s ok. Whatever makes her feel better.

I was at a gas station yesterday and there was a lady at the tire pump with mask and gloves on.  I was the only other person around and she was 35'-40' away.  The pump wasn't working so she asked me if there was another gas station in the area.  I guess she was being extra cautious

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

it's actually not a bad idea in general.   Think of how many dirty hands touch that all day.   (it won't prevent covid I'm talking viruses and filth in general)

9 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

it's actually not a bad idea in general.   Think of how many dirty hands touch that all day.   (it won't prevent covid I'm talking viruses and filth in general)

Honestly never thought about it before and I’m not likely to in the future. 
 But then again I was raised on a farm. I used to cut bull calves with a pocket knife bare handed, washed my hands in a cow water trough and then made a baloney sandwich on the tail gate of the truck using my finger to spread the mustard on the Wonder. Farm kids are immune to most shit. I’ve eaten enough dirt on a dusty tractor to fill a deuce and a half dump truck.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

23 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

A lot of Stowe marketing collateral over the past decade.... the stuff you see on trail map and brochure covers, website, social, etc.  Primarily a landscape photog that sells through word of mouth too... second homeowners or those who own rental properties who want local landscapes of the Mansfield/Stowe area on their walls.

It’s a joke on here, chamber of commerce weather.... but it’s real, ha.  Sell shots from those days to Stowe Area Association and chamber office, :lol:.

If I had a house on the Maine coast I’d have it full of @MaineJayhawk’s photos.  He doesn’t post them here but damn those are amazing.

Thanks, man! I always enjoy your shots too :)

51 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

Honestly never thought about it before and I’m not likely to in the future. 
 But then again I was raised on a farm. I used to cut bull calves with a pocket knife bare handed, washed my hands in a cow water trough and then made a baloney sandwich on the tail gate of the truck using my finger to spread the mustard on the Wonder. Farm kids are immune to most shit. I’ve eaten enough dirt on a dusty tractor to fill a deuce and a half dump truck.

I grew up on a sheep farm so similar conditions except my hands were nice and soft from the lanolin in the wool.