Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Spring Banter

Baroclinic Zone

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

I like him, the booth is great right now.  Eck and Ellis get colorful and DOB keeps them focused :lol:.  Ellis says stuff DOB wouldn’t but gets Eck going... Ellis “that pitch had some hair on it, don’t you think?” Eck is so delightfully surprised “Why yes!  Yes it does. Check out that hair.  Thank you for saying that.”

Eck had to tell Ellis what a pair of shoes was the other nigh :D

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Brutal ending to the Sox game.  Ohtani got to Barnes with two outs in the 9th for a two-run jack.  Can’t win them all but Barnes finally blew one.

With 2 outs, Mike Trout,  hitless in his last 18, pops one way up, and it's perfectly placed between 3 defenders.  Then Ohtani curls one around Pesky pole.

• Like 2

Short outing on the boat this afternoon. Pulled up to the dock and went to tie up. Forgot cell phone was in top pocket. Woops, out it went and sunk 8 ft. F it. I'm going in. Water temp 58f. Went down three times but too murky and no mask. Pissed. Went up to bar, but shivering too much. Wife suggested we get in car and put heat on. Good idea. Got home and took shower. Cell phone wasn't worth hypothermia or worse. Using old phone. I'll get it back when it warms up and bring mask, but it's probably toast. Otherwise, a decent day but missed the showers. No surprise there.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

49 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

Maine’s indoor mask mandate goes away a week from Monday. Not sure why they need to wait but whatever. 
Rhode Island ends on Tuesday, Connecticut on Wednesday, and Vermont dropped theirs last Friday. 

From the "Latest Guidance" posted 5/12

https://portal.ct.gov/Coronavirus/Covid-19-Knowledge-Base/Latest-COVID-19-Guidance  -

Effective Wednesday, May 19, 2021

• All remaining business restrictions will end.
  • Indoor masks will continue.
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Short outing on the boat this afternoon. Pulled up to the dock and went to tie up. Forgot cell phone was in top pocket. Woops, out it went and sunk 8 ft. F it. I'm going in. Water temp 58f. Went down three times but too murky and no mask. Pissed. Went up to bar, but shivering too much. Wife suggested we get in car and put heat on. Good idea. Got home and took shower. Cell phone wasn't worth hypothermia or worse. Using old phone. I'll get it back when it warms up and bring mask, but it's probably toast. Otherwise, a decent day but missed the showers. No surprise there.

Been there. Luckily, I could see the phone on the bottom, it was pretty shallow.

The phone was never right after that. I would just let it go and get a new one. It'll almost certainly be bricked by the time you get back it, or just moved away by the current and/or buried.

Just now, PhineasC said:

Been there. Luckily, I could see the phone on the bottom, it was pretty shallow.

The phone was never right after that. I would just let it go and get a new one. It'll almost certainly be bricked by the time you get back it, or just moved away by the current and/or buried.

There are some youtubers I occasionally watch that make a living getting stuff off the bottom of rivers and lakes. Shocking at the number of phones they recover after months underwater that still work.  

Thunder here

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

There are some youtubers I occasionally watch that make a living getting stuff off the bottom of rivers and lakes. Shocking at the number of phones they recover after months underwater that still work.  

Thunder here

It’s amazing sometimes.  My buggy lost his phone on a backcountry ski trail one year in late January... someone hiking after the snow melted found it and it turned on.  He was able to get it back to my buddy.  It was like 4 months of Mansfield weather that thing endured.

Also this spring someone contacted me on social to try and find a phones owner... iPhone 11 found when the snow melted, dried it in some rice and it fired right up but locked on Home Screen so hard to figure out owner.

Hardy little devices sometimes.

Sucks though because transferring texts and apps from phone to phone is easy. I'm on old phone that I had wiped clean because I thought I was selling, so I have to download all from scratch

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

It’s amazing sometimes.  My buggy lost his phone on a backcountry ski trail one year in late January... someone hiking after the snow melted found it and it turned on.  He was able to get it back to my buddy.  It was like 4 months of Mansfield weather that thing endured.

Also this spring someone contacted me on social to try and find a phones owner... iPhone 11 found when the snow melted, dried it in some rice and it fired right up but locked on Home Screen so hard to figure out owner.

I was talking with some of my students last week about their phones. Not too long ago almost every student who had a phone had a screen that was partly or hugely cracked.  Almost none are now. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, metagraphica said:

From the "Latest Guidance" posted 5/12

https://portal.ct.gov/Coronavirus/Covid-19-Knowledge-Base/Latest-COVID-19-Guidance  -

Effective Wednesday, May 19, 2021

• All remaining business restrictions will end.
  • Indoor masks will continue.

Not according to this

Your link is old. That May 19th directive was put out before the CDC made their statement late last week. Connecticut is done Wednesday.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/ctmirror.org/2021/05/13/fully-vaccinated-ct-residents-wont-be-required-to-wear-masks-indoors-starting-may-19/amp/%3ffbclid=IwAR1sURfFA2dc6AVneiGuxKiSDOKzDlNHQwT-cbp_IWO-bF9XQYezYKPvKoc

1 minute ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

Not according to this

Your link is old. That May 19th directive was put out before the CDC made their statement late last week. Connecticut is done Wednesday.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/ctmirror.org/2021/05/13/fully-vaccinated-ct-residents-wont-be-required-to-wear-masks-indoors-starting-may-19/amp/%3ffbclid=IwAR1sURfFA2dc6AVneiGuxKiSDOKzDlNHQwT-cbp_IWO-bF9XQYezYKPvKoc

Yeah, wouldn't be surprised that CT.gov hasn't updated their website yet. 

41 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Thunder here

38 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

My phone still worked after being under water, but it sometimes wouldn't charge and the battery would randomly go from showing full to zero and turning off instantly. I worked around it for a couple months but then just got a new phone. The batteries on these phones are still pretty delicate things. Being dunked in cold water for a while will probably mess it up even if it stays technically "dry" inside. But I may have just had bad luck, and it was brackish water in my case. Salt is bad for phones. LOL

I had Pandora going on my phone when I dropped it and it was kinda crazy to be looking into the water and the screen is brightly lit up with I presume tunes still cranking down there on the bottom. It was almost ocean water where I dropped it and I'm sure that contributed to it being messed up afterwards. The newer phones definitely can handle being submerged and are a lot tougher than in the past.

Just now, PhineasC said:

I had Pandora going on my phone when I dropped it and it was kinda crazy to be looking into the water and the screen is brightly lit up with I presume tunes still cranking down there on the bottom. It was almost ocean water where I dropped it and I'm sure that contributed to it being messed up afterwards. The newer phones definitely can handle being submerged and are a lot tougher than in the past.

Yeah... salt will wreak havoc

28 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

My phone still worked after being under water, but it sometimes wouldn't charge and the battery would randomly go from showing full to zero and turning off instantly. I worked around it for a couple months but then just got a new phone. The batteries on these phones are still pretty delicate things. Being dunked in cold water for a while will probably mess it up even if it stays technically "dry" inside. But I may have just had bad luck, and it was brackish water in my case. Salt is bad for phones. LOL

Yeah it’s also likely a case of we like to remember the success stories of phones in water still working... like wow my buddy’s phone worked!  All while not mentioning the 99 other times it doesn’t and the phone is phucked.  Just like hearing about a guy getting rich on crypto, but not the ones who don’t make shit lol.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Is 500mg 4 times a day of keflex a fairly high dose of antibiotic?

You can take up to 4 grams a day.  Depends on the type and location if infection. 2 grams is a fairly good dose, but nowhere near the top range. For an ear infection, 1 gram would work fine. For a dental infection I’d use 3-4 grams. But for dental I’d use Clindamycin instead. 

10 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

You can take up to 4 grams a day.  Depends on the type and location if infection. 2 grams is a fairly good dose, but nowhere near the top range. For an ear infection, 1 gram would work fine. For a dental infection I’d use 3-4 grams. But for dental I’d use Clindamycin instead. 

Thanks.... i have an infected side of a toenail... and it’s been heinously painful so I’m on a 10 day course of 500mg 4x a day

14 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

Ugh... adult ear infection. Don't remind me. They suck so bad.

4 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Thanks.... i have an infected side of a toenail... and it’s been heinously painful so I’m on a 10 day course of 500mg 4x a day

That about right for sone thing like that.

If it’s ingrown you’re better off getting it taken care of. Infections in the feet need to be attended to pretty quickly. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

That about right for sone thing like that.

If it’s ingrown you’re better off getting it taken care of. Infections in the feet need to be attended to pretty quickly. 

Yeah... she said since it’s not a recurring problem and it looks like it was more an issue of how it was cut, the antibiotic should be okay.

If it keeps happening, I may have to get a partial piece of the nail removed or something.

If hasn’t spread of anything, it’s just one side of the big toe, so hopefully the antibiotic clears it rather quickly.

25 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Yeah... she said since it’s not a recurring problem and it looks like it was more an issue of how it was cut, the antibiotic should be okay.

If it keeps happening, I may have to get a partial piece of the nail removed or something.

If hasn’t spread of anything, it’s just one side of the big toe, so hopefully the antibiotic clears it rather quickly.

Once the infection clears, you’re better off getting it fixed. If they know what they are doing, they won’t take off much nail. Just down the side. Kill the nail bed on the edge with some phenol and you’ll never know it was done. 
I’ve done a bunch when I worked part time at a clinic. The number of women who came in with them because they wore tight, pointy toe, ill fitting heels was incredible. Or got bad pedicures.

15 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

Once the infection clears, you’re better off getting it fixed. If they know what they are doing, they won’t take off much nail. Just down the side. Kill the nail bed on the edge with some phenol and you’ll never know it was done. 
I’ve done a bunch when I worked part time at a clinic. The number of women who came in with them because they wore tight, pointy toe, ill fitting heels was incredible.

Thanks. I’ll talk to my doctor about it. 

I will say this, it’s incredible how much pain just a small infection on one side of the toe can cause. I have a pretty high pain tolerance and I told my wife this morning that Neosporin and ibuprofen weren’t cutting it and I needed to go get an antibiotic.