Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2021 Weather Discussion

CoastalWx

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

Goofus with a couple of RASN systems late next week while the euro warm sectors us for 3 days.

Saw that -

thing is, the Euro with it's curvature defaulting for whatever it is in the process of handling on D4's, then relaying that into 6's in general, has me thinking that it bottoms the barrel out there in the southern Rockies earlier on too much.

Meanwhile the EPS has the same 120 hour and 168 hour suggestion as the GEFs... and both are sending enough signal under LI that it's probably wise to suspect that operational look. 

10 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

We all cheer on the weather we like. Period. Doesn’t make one a bad person at all.  But be careful of the old saying....Be careful what you wish for. Sometimes it comes back and bites ya. 

whineminster asked why people including DIT liked gypsy damage, I explain why OTHERS do, and I'm labeled the bad guy.  Silly:D

1 hour ago, MJO812 said:

Gfs and para is very interesting.  Euro is most likely too amped like it has been all winter. 

There seems to be layers of competing error in that regard.  Both in the model itself, and among all guidance for that matter.

The first layer is as you say... but, I would also extend that the Euro has a consummate "multi-generational" ( meaning it's been going on for years across successive upgrades) bias when going form the outer short range into mid range, and then again going from the deeper  mids to the extended range.  It seems to default whatever it is handling in the atmosphere nearing those temporal seams, to a category of increased amplitude when crossing the time range.   I've noticed this at 4.5 days ...then again 7 +    The first one does it the most.   If there is a small clipper 'dent' in the 500 mb stream lines at D4 ... by D6, it's a full latitude torque menace over the OV far far too often... And usually we get threads and posts going about the D7 Euro like equal clockwork.

Ha ha, I bet if did a correlation statistical analysis on thread and post frequency as a comparison to the Euro, we would see a very high correlation coefficients between those amp intervals and the scale and degree of gaeity and good spirits that passes through this social media'sphere like a panacea cure for all that travails and ails the beleaguered warriors suffering dearths of lives outside this obsession -...  Might be an interesting analysis for the techno-sociological experiment of Humanity in modernity dissertation Ray should be working on to garner his PHD... 

But I digress - lol

Anyway, seriously ... the second aspect/layer is that all models - as separate issue to the Euro's ongoing native bias ... - have been very consistently seeing disturbances in the D7+ range quite ominous compared to what they end up being whence the arrive to say ...D4 ... Insidiously correcting toward less and less in inches and parametrics as it gets near, such that you just sort of end up with bag of peanuts when you thought you were toting a roast turkey.  Ha, like that dream?  You know?  Where you have the impression of holding the hand of your dream girl, and then when you look down -in the dream - she's not there.  Then the dream spends the next few minutes of tossing and turning and REM as you try and find her and it seems like the dream deliberately evades her presents.  Probably the same phenomenon as trying to reach the end of a hall and as you run faster, it stretches to infinity and you can never find it.

I digress again... man, I have a real problem with that, I know -

Problem is, how to parse out which error is representing for next week is ... good luck. 

13 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I’d probably side more with the euro. 

The euro isn’t looking good for my forecast right now but unfortunately at this point i agree with you. It might be time for me to give up on that storm and the winter. Not going to completely rule out the possibly for a late season storm, but based on the latest model guidance we are more than likely done. The storm track will likely be to the west of us, and the above normal temps appear to remain though the rest of March. I’m still going to be tracking until mid April though like I always do because I’m a weenie and if I think there is even a .00000001% chance of seeing a snowstorm I track. The models did look favorable for one or two late season blizzards a few days ago but things changed. The polar vortex is literally over the North Pole right now and that type of pattern  has a tendency to lock in for a long time, so it’s likely the models rushed the pattern change. 

• Weenie 2

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Mild suggests mild which is 40’s and 50’s. And they’ll be an occasional 60 day inland like we always see. It’s hard to admit for you I know, but winter gone. We done . She let us out 

40’s now isn’t mild.  

Upper 50’s with no wind and full sun is nice/mild.  But 40’s this time of year, which is climo currently, isn’t mild at all imo. 

29 minutes ago, George001 said:

The euro isn’t looking good for my forecast right now but unfortunately at this point i agree with you. It might be time for me to give up on that storm and the winter. Not going to completely rule out the possibly for a late season storm, but based on the latest model guidance we are more than likely done. The storm track will likely be to the west of us, and the above normal temps appear to remain though the rest of March. I’m still going to be tracking until mid April though like I always do because I’m a weenie and if I think there is even a .00000001% chance of seeing a snowstorm I track. The models did look favorable for one or two late season blizzards a few days ago but things changed. The polar vortex is literally over the North Pole right now and that type of pattern  has a tendency to lock in for a long time, so it’s likely the models rushed the pattern change. 

Suggest less imaginative-casting, and more forecasting utilizing - at least in attempt ... - applied logic/analytics and techniques - thus, the former as formative from those deterministic sciences in the matter.

It's fun and artful to dream up scenarios ... We've all done it, either deliberately or even in accident... but don't be reliant - that is not going to have a positive return method frankly.  Plus, it's a little odd if one expects those visions to happen?  

But it also bad practice in general, if one does that...  but then must wait on, or be reliant, that permutations and the vagaries of the fractal nature of distant weather patterns and the wind will happen to emerge scenarios consistent with their fantasies.

Just a word to the wise ...  You're - probably - young, and full of mental energy. I would not want to discourage anyone in that time of life...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, George001 said:

Take her advice because it is your only chance to see a blizzard........ See the source image

• Haha 2