Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 16th Disco

Bostonseminole

Just now, CoastalWx said:

It does 

I feel like it busts more when the warm layer is around H85 and it’s the warmest model. But it usually nails these H7 warm tongues. I’m sure Will can name every system it failed on in the last decade, but I’m just going by my empirical feeling.

Just now, dendrite said:

I feel like it busts more when the warm layer is around H85 and it’s the warmest model. But it usually nails these H7 warm tongues. I’m sure Will can name every system it failed on in the last decade, but I’m just going by my empirical feeling.

I’ve noticed the same with the high warm tongues. At least on most models when it shows it at 0C, I usually hedge sleet.

23 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

You can tell by the ageo wind direction and meso low that travels along the CT coast then up the CC canal that this is a hairy situation. Hard to scour out cold in the CT Valley as well with low N winds

download (62).png

download (63).png

I’m with you. Away from the coast I just don’t see surface temps moving up at all from Monday night lows.

Are sig icing events ever forecasted accurately? Serious question—even the recent event in the Pacific Northwest caught everyone off guard. I feel like the less it’s anticipated the more likely it’s to happen with these things. The nature of it I suppose: an intersection of multiple marginal conditions...and an atmosphere that achieves a prolonged period of “steady state”. The opposite of dynamic. 

Just now, jbenedet said:

I’m with you. Away from the coast I just don’t see surface temps moving up at all from Monday night lows.

Are sig icing events ever forecasted accurately? Serious question—even the recent event in the Pacific Northwest caught everyone off guard. I feel like the less it’s anticipated the more likely it’s to happen with these things. The nature of it I suppose: an intersection of multiple marginal conditions...and an atmosphere that achieves a prolonged period of “steady state”. The opposite of dynamic. 

Regarding the PAC NW, I’m pretty sure the NAM actually did decent on that. It did show a warm tongue. 

• Like 1

This isn’t a pure in-situ CAD event like we often see with a retreating high into Nova Scotia. 

It’s going to be really hard to dislodge cold in the interior. The only way will be if the primary trends west and stronger and you get a secondary trying track over like SE CT to RI to SE MA. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

This isn’t a pure in-situ CAD event like we often see with a retreating high into Nova Scotia. 

It’s going to be really hard to dislodge cold in the interior. The only way will be if the primary trends west and stronger and you get a secondary trying track over like SE CT to RI to SE MA. 

Look at the RAP vs the 6z NAM. It's probably related to the NAM track, but the RAP has better ageo drain into SNE vs the NAM which just warms everyone up. You can see it at 925 too. I was expecting more of a RAP look, but when the NAM (which usually is good in these) started to get really warm...it looked a little off to me.  But the NAM is also amped up. I agree though. I don't see areas like ORH and interior NE MA sniffing 32. 

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

Might be just minor differences with that PV, but almost looks like the RAP. Really presses down and feeds into this. No way inland sniffs 32 in that. This run makes more sense when you think about it.

Pretty hard to warm the interior when it’s not mostly in-situ CAD. This is pretty classic pressure pattern to keep them well below freezing. 

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Pretty hard to warm the interior when it’s not mostly in-situ CAD. This is pretty classic pressure pattern to keep them well below freezing. 

That makes more sense though compared to previous NAM runs. At least to me.  I don't know why it wasn't showing the drain. I didn't think interior was warming, but this may change the game near 128 and maybe even BOS.

39 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I think the football announcer may have just said that the kicker has not missed a field goal from less than 48 yards all season as he sets up for a 46-yard attempt.