Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 7th Storm Threat Discussion/Obs

mappy

1 minute ago, MN Transplant said:

Do either of you know whether the Kucera ratio is applied at the NCEP level or if it is something that is derived by each of the individual map providers?  I know that College of Dupage has added a map of the Kucera ratio.  For this storm, it is ~7:1.

1012390742_Screenshot2021-02-05100713.thumb.jpg.bbb63b5c9d1fc0f823d5281838328b13.jpg

Definitely derived by the individual map providers.    There is no SLR output from any NCEP model.    In fact, the only system that even produces a true snowfall accumulation in inches is RAP/HRRR.    The others all generate snow water equivalent (for which the provider applies a ratio) and snow depth (closest thing to a true accumulation, but derived from the land-sfc model).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, MN Transplant said:

Do either of you know whether the Kucera ratio is applied at the NCEP level or if it is something that is derived by each of the individual map providers?  I know that College of Dupage has added a map of the Kucera ratio.  For this storm, it is ~7:1.

I'm actually not sure how they implement it. I know we don't use Kuchera out here unless we are under an ULL since our ratios are typically 7-8:1 in the valleys and Permian Basin and 10:1 in the mountains above 4k ft. I'm not a big fan of Kuchera in most setups because I believe it smooths and takes an average despite clear as day highs and lows pending mesoscale banding. I usually use QPF and then adjust based on expectations and local climo. We have a tool at our office that also generates snowfall based on certain thermo criteria and we can adjust for time frames to get a total. Great to utilize on GFE for gridded forecasts. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, MillvilleWx said:

Man, @Disc and @Buddy1987 will love this run. Should be a nice quick nuking down in their hoods

Funny bc I’ve been busy at work this morning and just popped on to check it out but he actually tagged me in this. Meatball sized aggregates would just be pouring down. The lift and fgen on that is just dumb. Hourly rates would be worth me setting an alarm clock. 

• Weenie 2

1 minute ago, DDweatherman said:

I won't forget about you again Mappy! I would tend to agree. 12z has been a good suite thus far. 

Ha, its okay. I was kidding. I've forgotten about you too before (won't do it again :) )

But yeah, so far so good. I'd like to see the GFS have some higher qpf totals like the NAM had. 

37 minutes ago, Yeoman said:

I'm confused as to why you would give a s*** about what channel 5 says?

Be fair: Mike Thomas does a good job of explaining the models on social and helping the public gain knowledge. 

And then there's Sue Palka :wub: .  Put some respek on her name. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

12z HRW WRF-NSSL looks mighty tasty for the region. I like this model for non-complicated setups. It does a great job, and is part of the HREF (Hi-Res Ensemble Forecast) grouping. 

floop-hrwnssl-2021020512.ref1km_ptype.us_ma.gif.72f611c36213271f804cb6ca4996a8b3.gif

See that band in the nw part of va into md? The icon is doing exactly that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

See that band in the nw part of va into md? The icon is doing exactly that.

Might be some orographic enhancement that coincides with the mid-level frontogen as it propagates to the north and west. There's typically a westward band that develops with southern stream disturbances as the s/w trough pivots underneath and creates a small area of enhanced upper forcing to the north. I can see that happening with this as well. There will be a lucky winner on the western fringes of this system I feel. Where is anyone's guess. I'd say your hood out to Tucker and Pocahontas Co, WV up into Alleghany Co MD will have the best chance due to topography and their positioning to the north of the s/w trough.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• WxUSAF unpinned and pinned this topic
  • WxUSAF unpinned this topic