Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    16,911
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    GRMNSnowDay
    Newest Member
    GRMNSnowDay
    Joined

Central PA - Jan 31 to Feb 2 Winter Storm


Recommended Posts

Was jealous of the LSV yesterday afternoon when you guys were under those death bands but eventually it set-up over NEPA and crushed from roughly 7:30 to midnight. Under a very heavy band this AM. Most locations are somewhere between 18-24". I am at roughly 20" IMBY.

IMG_1975.thumb.jpg.a193776b5e7a599d48ec48e503e00bf0.jpgIMG_1974.thumb.jpg.6d393f48ed45c2571da935f5d088364e.jpg

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Harrisburg -MDT- recorded a 2 day storm total of 12.5 inches of snow. 4.6 was recorded on Sunday and 7.9 yesterday as of Midnight.

Maybe we can still add on a little more today?

For as feast or famine as its felt around here in recent years, this is now the 5th double-digit snowfall for MDT in the last 5 years. 

Jan 2016

Mar 2017

Mar 2018

Dec 2020

Jan 2021

Not to mention the surprise pre-Thanksgiving storm in 2018 where MDT picked up 9" and we had over 10" here a little further north of Harrisburg prior to sleet onset.   Crazy times.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Jonesy56 said:

For as feast or famine as its felt around here in recent years, this is now the 5th double-digit snowfall for MDT in the last 5 years. 

Jan 2016

Mar 2017

Mar 2018

Dec 2020

Jan 2021

Not to mention the surprise pre-Thanksgiving storm in 2018 where MDT picked up 9" and we had over 10" here a little further north of Harrisburg prior to sleet onset.   Crazy times.

I'll look later but I believe this was my 15th double digit snowfall since 2000. Not bad for an area that historically averaged about 1 or 2 per every 10 years. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Jonesy56 said:

For as feast or famine as its felt around here in recent years, this is now the 5th double-digit snowfall for MDT in the last 5 years. 

Jan 2016

Mar 2017

Mar 2018

Dec 2020

Jan 2021

Not to mention the surprise pre-Thanksgiving storm in 2018 where MDT picked up 9" and we had over 10" here a little further north of Harrisburg prior to sleet onset.   Crazy times.

2020 only saw 5” snow all season. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9" storm total is what I'm sending in (4.7" from 9am-9am Sun/Mon and 4.3" in the past 24 hrs with most of that falling last night).

May have been a little bit more with compaction but the way this storm had mostly slow accumulation for the most part I just did two 24 hour clears of my one snowboard. Depth on the untouched board measuring a bit over 8" so the 9" should be a pretty accurate number. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

9" storm total is what I'm sending in (4.7" from 9am-9am Sun/Mon and 4.3" in the past 24 hrs with most of that falling last night).

May have been a little bit more with compaction but the way this storm had mostly slow accumulation for the most part I just did two 24 hour clears of my one snowboard. Depth on the untouched board measuring a bit over 8" so the 9" should be a pretty accurate number. 

I had roughly a 2" compaction from my 6 hours of sleet.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The post-mortum model discussion would be interesting. They all failed in their own ways, the RGEM might actually have nailed the precip band placement better than any others. 

But the whole forum got in some snow (which our NW crew got double-digits ugh) and that's pretty rare so win-win!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Cashtown_Coop said:

I had roughly a 2" compaction from my 6 hours of sleet.  

Yeah that several hours of sleet knocked down the all but 6" we had from part 1.  This snow WILL stick around.  Ground frozen and it is dense.  Dont think the ratios were better than standard 10:1.

Would be nice to get a fresh 1" today to cover up the muck from cleanup.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...