Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Watching closely .. February 1-3rd for moderate to major coastal event

Typhoon Tip

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

The purely synoptic stuff doesn’t even matter for you...even if you get zero on the WCB (which won’t happen, you’ll get several minimum), you get upslope farts for like 48 hours after that...just wringing our the leftover synoptic moisture thrown around the backside. 

That Gulf of Maine low and the mid-level features track pretty close to local studies climo favored track.  It's a deep NW flow all the way to 500mb later on for sure.

Just gotta watch that trend for the Gulf of Maine low to get its act together faster, could put down some of Phin's Pot Roast first then dip J.Spin's bread in the leftovers.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

White pine forests flattened.  Don't your folks have a lot of those?  I remember some storm you posted photos of like half the trees down, ha.

The images of the trees they lost from when we moved there in ‘97 until now are striking. Those things are too tall for strong winds and heavy wet snow. But they might have issues if the snow holds on. 

7 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yes agreed. My gut is that it is closer to water than 495 belt. Like I could see that 128 stretch from Newton down to Canton and then south to Easton/Mansfield being a trouble spot for that. 

Even your ‘hood might be a really bad spot for power grid issues. Like even if you get “only” 8 inches of snow, it could be 7 to 1 mashed potatoes or something. 

Yeah it’s funny how cold Nam is on BUFKIT for BOS.  We shall see. 

4 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

RGEM is still crazy here. Pretty much an outlier with the huge totals, but Euro isn’t too far behind. 

I'm intrigued by the oddity of the RGEM.  Never say never, but it's like some absolutely massive wave break to get that sharp demarcation.  Like air just falling off a cliff.

Pretty cool prog.

rgem-all-neng-t850_mslp_prcp6hr-2310400.thumb.png.a9f1768ef484fbe5d3fe311743a0625a.png

13 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

White pine forests flattened.  Don't your folks have a lot of those?  I remember some storm you posted photos of like half the trees down, ha.

White pines are a lot more resilient than people give them credit for.  Straight long duration winds they do fine,  it’s when you get swirling winds in severe convection that you get them to snap in half

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

That Gulf of Maine low and the mid-level features track pretty close to local studies climo favored track.  It's a deep NW flow all the way to 500mb later on for sure.

Just gotta watch that trend for the Gulf of Maine low to get its act together faster, could put down some of Phin's Pot Roast first then dip J.Spin's bread in the leftovers.

Yeah normally you’d get a huge deform band from that track...only issue is that the low is pretty occluded by the time it gets there. It does try and get rejuvenated a bit though so there might be a reintensification of  the banding. But even if there isn’t, you’ll prob get like 30 to 1 ratios there from a rotting 15-20 dbz ML band, lol. I fully expect you to be posting radar shots and saying “can’t believe how hard it is nuking under this 15-20 dbz stuff!!! It’s stacking up like arctic fluff lake effect!”

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah normally you’d get a huge deform band from that track...only issue is that the low is pretty occluded by the time it gets there. It does try and get rejuvenated a bit though so there might be a reintensification of  the banding. But even if there isn’t, you’ll prob get like 30 to 1 ratios there from a rotting 15-20 dbz ML band, lol. I fully expect you to be posting radar shots and saying “can’t believe how hard it is nuking under this 15-20 dbz stuff!!! It’s stacking up like arctic fluff lake effect!”

Could definitely see that.  Soundings show a pretty good couplet of DGZ and lift given that the DGZ looks to be 600-750mb level around these parts.... right in line with that ML lift.