• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 30-February 1 Winter Storm

Hoosier

GFSv16 is flawed which is why it isn't used, especially with moisture content. Its failure with the last system is a good example. Clown maps are clown maps for a reason.
Incorrect. Like @Chicago Storm wrote, the upgrade is scheduled to come next month. Haven't seen any emails to the contrary. May as well get used to what's likely to be the operational GFS next month.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Relative to climo, there is probably nobody in this thread who can beat my futility other than RogueWaves.  Biggest snow here this season is just a hair over 2". 

I think this storm will beat it, and if it doesn't, it will be very tempting to throw in the towel on this winter lol

As Rodney Dangerfield would've said "My one minute of Amwx fame...for all the wrong reasons" :arrowhead:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

If you only looked at the surface low and the thicknesses in the Plains, you may be thinking oh no, big cutter coming with warm air flooding way north.  Really get bailed out by what's going on up north in Canada.  Unfortunately it still won't be enough for some areas.

prateptype_cat.conus.thumb.png.ae30782f3935d6f944cae310f026c6c1.png

• Like 5

Just now, Hoosier said:

If you only looked at the surface low and the thicknesses in the Plains, you may be thinking oh no, big cutter coming with warm air flooding way north.  Really get bailed out by what's going on up north in Canada.  Unfortunately it still won't be enough for some areas.

prateptype_cat.conus.thumb.png.ae30782f3935d6f944cae310f026c6c1.png

Isn't that the truth!  So is the block that sheared the last storm, the same block that keeps this low from cutting west? A quick aside, I'm using the term block because it was tossed about a lot the past few days.  It may not be the correct terminology.

18z Euro and still snowing
image.thumb.png.3ab3f3f9cf9ee14809c4a68a06ff4556.png
Wish pivotal had the 06z/18z runs to compare their Kuchera output run to run. Anyway, here's the 10:1 snow map from WxBell, just to demonstrate it's still a really nice look. 18z run was a hair north of the 12z run (tracked to north of STL while 12z roughly got to latitude of STL then faded east) and got that more west to east orientation of the precip/snow swath. 645e3906c5f73ab4607a6dfada4ee838.jpg

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

Wish pivotal had the 06z/18z runs to compare their Kuchera output run to run. Anyway, here's the 10:1 snow map from WxBell, just to demonstrate it's still a really nice look. 18z run was a hair north of the 12z run (tracked to north of STL while 12z roughly got to latitude of STL then faded east) and got that more west to east orientation of the precip/snow swath. 645e3906c5f73ab4607a6dfada4ee838.jpg

Overall pretty decent run to run consistency with minimal track changes. It definitely bumped north on sfc low track. Hoping those north bumps stop because I'm dangerously close to sharp southern cut off. Euro has a good front end thump for a good chunk of us. 

14 minutes ago, tuanis said:

I’m feelin a Peoria jackpot  :mapsnow:

Haha. I wish. That's a rare feat. I will definitely be close to the mixing line and anticipate a change to a mix or rain for a bit but how long I'm not sure. Hoping I can at least get a good front end thump from the WAA wing. That will probably have more intense rates than the deformation band.

• Like 1