Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 30-February 1 Winter Storm

Hoosier

3 hours ago, RCNYILWX said:

For those keeping score, on the 00z ensembles, the EPS and GEPS (Canadian) shifted north from their respective previous runs, while the GEFS shifted south. The GEFS has been the farthest north guidance, so it shifting south isn't surprising. Our AFD makes note of this, but the general ensemble mean and member agreement is noteworthy at this lead time.

I think the 25th-26th system had more spread than this at a shorter lead time. It goes without saying that having such solid consensus this far out doesn't guarantee anything. I'm wondering if the stability of the Hudson Bay block is helping with more predictability in this case. Also seems a bit different than what just occurred in that the block forms an omega like depiction with a northern stream lobe off to its west and the deep trough to the east. In this way the block serves as a road block from a hard cut but does not appear on the ens mean h5 depiction to be imparting a compressive shearing mechanism to the parent wave.

It's an interesting but solid setup for areas that have missed out to hopefully score and those of us in the middle to also get in on the fun. The individual EPS members strongly point toward a pretty large swath of accumulating snow with the typical banding jackpot zones depending on exact track. This suggests that areas that miss out on max amounts could still get several inches. Lots of time to sort all the details out, so these are items I'm noticing thus far on the snow side of things.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Excellent analysis as always. What's your take on GFS thermals? It's low track seems pretty close to have models but has rain so far north. 

5 minutes ago, snowstormcanuck said:

Feel this one is a candidate to come back north some.  Probably still a graze job for YYZ but those further to SW on the northern edge should stay tuned.  Could get thumped.

It always weirds me out a little bit to see Canadians posting about storms that affect southern WI/northern IL (especially in the context of them being at risk for a rainer) because I think of Canada as this frigid place waaaaay far away to the north. I need to remember places like Windsor, London, Kitchener and Toronto are roughly on my latitude.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, CheeselandSkies said:

It always weirds me out a little bit to see Canadians posting about storms that affect southern WI/northern IL (especially in the context of them being at risk for a rainer) because I think of Canada as this frigid place waaaaay far away to the north. I need to remember places like Windsor, London, Kitchener and Toronto are roughly on my latitude.

Same latitude as MKE with probably 90% less chance of seeing a >6" storm in October or April.  put that in your pipe and smoke it. 

Wouldn't have it any other way. Rest of the country summers too short and winters too cold.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

36 minutes ago, mimillman said:

Not bad. Guess just worried about the placement of the highest to the east and models underdoing dry air aloft.

the lee cyclogenesis over co and panhandle slp track really is one of the classic chicago tracks for a reason, it's a good look and the GEFS clustering for that track is excellent likely due in part to the block as mentioned in ricky's post 

seeing less fail modes in play

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, A-L-E-K said:

the lee cyclogenesis over co and panhandle slp track really is one of the classic chicago tracks for a reason, it's a good look and the GEFS clustering for that track is excellent likely due in part to the block as mentioned in ricky's post 

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Good track .. wish it would cut and really ramp up on the backside

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ChiTownSnow said:

Good track .. wish it would cut and really ramp up on the backside

slp gets the squeeze from the block no matter how this plays out so raging backside defo with a cutter isn't in the cards

primary work gonna be done by strong advection snows with exceptionally high pwats

it's possible backside snows associated with ull passing overhead are a bit better than modeled but that won't be the show

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, A-L-E-K said:

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

I don't disagree with the track, it's more a concern of dry air aloft with those highs not far east. It's just a matter of how far east can we get before we start to see those effects. Those details I expect will be ironed out over the next couple days and would not trust models to have a good handle on that yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, A-L-E-K said:

slp gets the squeeze from the block no matter how this plays out so raging backside defo with a cutter isn't in the cards

primary work gonna be done by strong advection snows with exceptionally high pwats

it's possible backside snows associated with ull passing overhead are a bit better than modeled but that won't be the show

Agree with this, which, if it does actually happen, will make for some fantastic rates over a ~6 hour period

• Like 2