• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Major Nor'easter near blizzard (6"+ most of our area-best chance 20-30" north of I78 in ne PA, nw NJ, se NYS)-ice-rain-power outage NYC subforum late Sunday Jan 31-early Tue Feb 2.

wdrag

7 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

Guaranteed that snow Tuesday has some areas of decent rates in it.  It won’t be 1 plus an hour but typically those areas even in a system undergoing occlusion end up a bit better than modeled a lot of the time 

I will say a lot of our big ones that were Miller Bs tend to have a signature of consistent/longer snow like this.  (Corrected - Miller Bs).  Remember Jan 2005 as an example for the North Jersey crowd.

And it's obviously way overdone with that heavy snow area in E PA. It'll be a great place to be but there won't be 47" in Allentown. :lol: 

It's typical in miller Bs that the development is a little delayed in the end and more progressive. Usually that burns NYC and benefits Boston but this time it's exactly what we need. 

• Like 1

Just now, jm1220 said:

And it's obviously way overdone with that heavy snow area in E PA. It'll be a great place to be but there won't be 47" in Allentown. :lol: 

It's typical in miller Bs that the development is a little delayed in the end and more progressive. Usually that burns NYC and benefits Boston but this time it's exactly what we need. 

See my post about 1983...similar type setup with that east inflow and Allentown saw 5 inches an hour and 15 in 4 hours I think 

2 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

This continues to look like 1983 in a 2021 climate.  The evolution of the storm itself isn’t really close to 83 at all but that easterly inflow jet is.  

I know the NAM's the NAM but that 700mb map is absolutely classic to wreck 90-95% of us-tremendous lift and tons of moisture on that easterly jet. And it isn't moving all that fast like these front end bursts often do such as 12/17's. 

2 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Boston 1 NYC 20 on the RGEM 

RGEM probably isn't done correcting. Most models at least give them 5-6" or so on the front end burst when it reaches them. The easterly flow and maturing low is a pitfall for them this time though. Miller B's don't normally max out on this area (at least west of Suffolk County). Would be sad and somewhat hilarious if NYC catches up to them in seasonal snow. They have 23" now and NYC has 10.6. 

Just now, USCG RS said:

That crippled nyc and left persons stranded on highways. 

The forecast was 3-6 I think.  The problem was it was a Friday night preceding a 3 day weekend so many people were out and also many didn’t leave work early.  That was a ground breaking event for the models though because when the 00Z runs came in that night they initialized and caught the busting forecast which was the first case really ever where models in the middle of the storm adjusted for a significant error 

• Thanks 1

• wdrag changed the title to Major Nor'easter near blizzard (6"+ most of our area-best chance 20-30" north of I78 in ne PA, nw NJ, se NYS)-ice-rain-power outage NYC subforum late Sunday Jan 31-early Tue Feb 2.
  • BxEngine unpinned this topic