Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter Banter and General Disco 2

dendrite

2 hours ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

I figured, usually cool foggy and misty right? Are there any nice days there in the late spring?

So I go to Block island for a week around Memorial Day each year.  Have to imagine the weather is similar to Martha’s Vineyard . There are some nice days, never expect temps to get above 70 but you can get some nice days in the 60s. However the bad days are complete garbage. Temps won’t get out of the lower 50s if it’s raining. Foggy too. Also it’s tough to get a perfect warm day at the beach since usually there will be wind too.

So overall I would say it’s a mixed bag with more bleh days than good. 

5 minutes ago, 78Blizzard said:

Here's a good reason not to have a variable rate utility plan:

"Royce Pierce and his wife, Danielle, who live in Willow Park, west of Dallas, have been watching their electricity bill tick up by nearly $10,000 in the last few days for their three-bedroom home. While the family told NBC News they consider themselves lucky because they’ve had power, the financial burden has come with additional challenges.

Since the family is on a variable rate plan with Griddy, the company automatically debits the bill as they use electricity. Danielle said she closed the debit card connected to their electricity bill because Griddy wiped it out. The family has been using separate accounts and credit cards to pay for necessities as the storm goes on."

Also, another good reason not to have your bills paid automatically to your debit or credit card. 

They could've just turned off the main breaker if they didn't wanna pay the spot rates.  

2 minutes ago, radarman said:

They could've just turned off the main breaker if they didn't wanna pay the spot rates.  

They probably didn't realize how high those rates were until the utility hit their credit card.  Also, they would have had more problems with pipes freezing and bursting with no power.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lava Rock said:

Treading lightly since we're not supposed to talk covid, but please define a "really low baseline". Your interpretation or mine is meaningless. Govt has their own metric and it seems until the last person on earth is covid free, we're stuck with some restrictions. In this case, forever.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Until everyone on earth is vaccinated, which is impossible for several reasons, especially the resistant variant issue. That seems to be the general govt baseline.

5 minutes ago, White Rain said:

OK, to be clear, I wasnt talking military, but rather anyone, including someone like you. I dont understand how being outside isolated from others by considerable distance and having to wear a mask in this scenario, cuts back the cases or benefits anyone, which is why I asked. Wasn’t stating an opinion either way. 

Ah.  I gotcha.   Their property their rules. 
same thing at Disney World 

The best refinancing rates are G O N E  as the yield on the 10 year bond rises quickly .   That rate is tied to many borrowing costs and likely if you take a looksie at average mortgage rate its gone up considerable since early January...

This is chart of 10 year (click drop down menu to adjust from 1 day to about 6 months) 

https://www.marketwatch.com/investing/bond/tmubmusd10y?countrycode=bx&mod=home-page

Also in the U.K the move is even faster (click dropdown to 6 month chart) that pace is a issue. 

https://www.marketwatch.com/investing/bond/tmbmkgb-10y?countrycode=bx 

.Generally that is not a good thing for stock markets...as rising rates start to hurt the appeal of  Record valuations (everywhere)  AND it also as it starts to give investors another option as bond's are beginning to yield a bit more interest but not much more than inflation.  The Federal reserve is buying Gov't debt hand over fist but most of the maturities it's buying is on the very short end (3 month, etc) ...what they can do is increase or at least "talk about increasing the maturity dates they are willing to buy " to keep that 10 year rate down (and especially the SPEED of the rise) because lowering the 10 year would continue to support the housing market, low borrowing costs for business and consumer loans. (many tied to 10 year bond yield (interest rate) 

The stock market has formed a bit of a bearish head and shoulders pattern in the short term and as we have been moving within a bullish upward channel since early November ..we could  easily see a 4-5 % fall  and test the bottom rail of that upward channel if Bond Yield don't take a pause and that would stun a lot of retail investors .

Rates are rising because the Fed is saying they are wanting inflation to "run hot" ...and Gov't spending is forecast to grow quickly ....and by that measure GDP growth as well (as Gov't spending directly effects GDP).