Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Banter 2021

Eskimo Joe

10 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Just remember your sacrifice will ensure that those of us above the fall line will be in raptured joy on Monday with puking dendrites. And when that happens, we’ll pour one shovelful out for all you little people :guitar:

I’m actually west of the fall line...but not by a lot.

:hurrbear:

2 minutes ago, rclab said:

To many of us, the Fava beans were more frightening. As always ......

Yeah that was a very intense scene.  I read that when Anthony Hopkins delivered that line and then made the "ts-ts-ts-ts" sound with his tongue (sort of on the spot, not planned), that Jodi Foster gave a sort of frightened/stunned start!

• Like 1

I don't think many on this board remember/grasp that the second Feb 2010 storm that was such a massive hit for much of the area left southwest of dc out of the main show. I know @mattie gdoes, because he has tried to remind people. They maximized WAA in that one but then it never really turned back on there because it re-developed a bit too late. Up this way, we did slightly less good on WAA, then it turned off, I remember the freakout on Eastern in the 4 AM - 7 AM area and then all hell broke loose. But that storm encapsulated how in MIller B storms there can be huge variances and winners and losers in terms of snow total in the area.

This isn't the first Feb 2010 storm in set-up where there will be uniform massive totals as it Heather A rains fatties. So, I get the tension. I have set my hopes for a good five plus inches in the WAA to get to warning criteria. My worry is that the WAA underperforms up here and we miss the re-development. I would kill for half a foot in the WAA and then see how it goes. 

I have double checked, and I can't control any of that though. Pity. 

5 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

I don't think many on this board remember/grasp that the second Feb 2010 storm that was such a massive hit for much of the area left southwest of dc out of the main show. I know mattie does, because he has tried to remind people. They maximized WAA in that one but then it never really turned back on there because it re-developed a bit too late. Up this way, we did slightly less good on WAA, then it turned off, I remember the freakout on Eastern in the 4 AM - 7 AM area and then all hell broke loose. But that storm encapsulated how in MIller B storms there can be huge variances and winners and losers in terms of snow total in the area.

This isn't the first Feb 2010 storm in set-up where there will be uniform massive totals as it Heather A rains fatties. So, I get the tension. I have set my hopes for a good five plus inches in the WAA to get to warning criteria. My worry is that the WAA underperforms up here and we miss the re-development. I would kill for half a foot in the WAA and then see how it goes. 

The ULL pass on that one for Leesburg was glorious though...it was the heaviest fattest flakes I've ever seen. We got around 12" during the second Feb storm after getting 33" from the first one...places NE of here like Luckets and Point of Rocks were blasted by both

• Like 1

Just now, leesburg 04 said:

The ULL pass on that one for Leesburg was glorious though...it was the heaviest fattest flakes I've ever seen. We got around 12" during the second Feb storm after getting 33" from the first one...places NE of here like Luckets and Point of Rocks were blasted by both

Oh yeah, even for Balt City, that was amaze-balls. It was only in the day of so afterwards that I realized how effed a lot of our comrades in snow got from that. 

15 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Yeah that was a very intense scene.  I read that when Anthony Hopkins delivered that line and then made the "ts-ts-ts-ts" sound with his tongue (sort of on the spot, not planned), that Jodi Foster gave a sort of frightened/stunned start!

So naturally delivered. The way we would talk about a favorite dish or beverage. So well done. As always .....

I guess this would qualify as banter..

Who else was alive and remembers the Challenger explosion 35 years ago today? I was 15, living in Springfield VA. Aside from the trajedy that day, another indelible memory for me was a Nor'easter that was to never be that weekend for us in the mid Atlantic.  Cold and dry, with any development well off the coast. Not sure which model was pummeling our area with heavy snow... NBM perhaps? 

Imagine if thiis forum was around 30-40 years ago with the state of NWP back then? Lots of broken hearts for sure!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

The first February storm was crushing! Second February storm was just a nice 1' topping. 

• Like 1

Just now, WxMan1 said:

Who else was alive and remembers the Challenger explosion 35 years ago today? I was 15, living in Springfield VA. Aside from the trajedy that day, another indelible memory for me was a Nor'easter that was to never be that weekend for us in the mid Atlantic.  Cold and dry, with any development well off the coast. Not sure which model was pummeling our area with heavy snow... NBM perhaps? 

Imagine if thiis forum was around 30-40 years ago with the state of NWP back then? Lots of broken hearts for sure!

Me. You and I are about the same age then. I had just turned 15 in December. Was in Central Ohio - I think it was sunny there. 

4 minutes ago, WxMan1 said:

I remember it.  I didn't see it live but my dad called right after it happened and we turned the TV on and sat in horror.  

3 minutes ago, WxMan1 said:

Wow, I remember the Challenger explosion and just being transfixed by the news.  I wasn't paying much attention to the weather out this way, as at the time I was in college at Purdue when this happened.  My freshman year.

5 minutes ago, WxMan1 said:

Same age. I remember that day specifically. We were on winter break. Living on Long Island. Very cold day. We had a keg party at my friend Kenny's house. It was planned before the space shuttle disaster. It wasn't in celebration of. Weird day. Anyway Kenny's father came home from work early and was ticked off. He kicked the keg and broke his leg.

• Haha 1

On 1/27/2021 at 12:45 AM, Stormfly said:

We had Gottleib's Flying carpet.  Picked it up used in 1978.  Lots of fun!

I don’t remember what we had. But loved going down and clicking up a score. She got it to help pass time in between doing laundry. With 6 in the family there was a lot of laundry. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

I don't think many on this board remember/grasp that the second Feb 2010 storm that was such a massive hit for much of the area left southwest of dc out of the main show. I know @mattie gdoes, because he has tried to remind people. They maximized WAA in that one but then it never really turned back on there because it re-developed a bit too late. Up this way, we did slightly less good on WAA, then it turned off, I remember the freakout on Eastern in the 4 AM - 7 AM area and then all hell broke loose. But that storm encapsulated how in MIller B storms there can be huge variances and winners and losers in terms of snow total in the area.

I think I got like 9” or something from February 9-10. We did get one really nice band that rotated through at like 8:00 am or something, but otherwise the coastal/ULL piece wasn’t much to write home about.

It’s not bad, especially after having gotten 28” (I think) a few days before, but I was definitely a little jealous of the folks in MD who got reamed.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Stormpc said:

Same age. I remember that day specifically. We were on winter break. Living on Long Island. Very cold day. We had a keg party at my friend Kenny's house. It was planned before the space shuttle disaster. It wasn't in celebration of. Weird day. Anyway Kenny's father came home from work early and was ticked off. He kicked the keg and broke his leg.

OK...I read that he kicked the keg (as in drank the rest of the beer) and then broke his leg (because he was so drunk).

Just now, mattie g said:

OK...I read that he kicked the keg (as in drank the rest of the beer) and then broke his leg (because he was so drunk).

Unfortunately that's not what happened. He was so pissed off he kicked the keg that was on the back deck and slipped on the snow and ice and broke his leg. We all ran.

29 minutes ago, WxMan1 said:

My met professor at Mason swore there was a coverup and that the meteorologists had told them not to launch because of how cold it was but NASA officials went ahead and launched anyway.  He would state conspiracy theories (I haven't really looked into them or if they are even true or false) about the launch.  I do remember him claiming that he had a friend who worked down there and was involved in the launch disco on that day was told to sign something saying he couldn't discuss what really happened because NASA didn't want that info to leak out.  

Now before we get carried away, he was actually a good professor, he taught the class well and I learned a lot in his class.  Just that subject drew his ire and the such.  It was a bit weird, was never really sure what to believe 

9 minutes ago, yoda said:

My met professor at Mason swore there was a coverup and that the meteorologists had told them not to launch because of how cold it was but NASA officials went ahead and launched anyway.  He would state conspiracy theories (I haven't really looked into them or if they are even true or false) about the launch.  I do remember him claiming that he had a friend who worked down there and was involved in the launch disco on that day was told to sign something saying he couldn't discuss what really happened because NASA didn't want that info to leak out.  

Now before we get carried away, he was actually a good professor, he taught the class well and I learned a lot in his class.  Just that subject drew his ire and the such.  It was a bit weird, was never really sure what to believe 

https://www.netflix.com/title/81012137

Just now, North Balti Zen said:

@MillvilleWx @MN Transplant  @WxUSAF

What mechanism is causing the GFS to hold the primary longer before transfer than the CMC/EURO are showing? Or, alternatively, why do CMC/EURO jump it to the coast quicker? At this point, that's the crucial difference, right, in progression and outcomes?

the ghost of harambe.  

• Haha 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic